Author Topic: (Update) Celtics NOT favorites to land Aaron Gordon  (Read 33704 times)

Re: The athletic: Celtics favorites to land Aaron Gordon?
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2021, 10:48:37 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Saw on Twitter that a Gordon trade might be a precursor to a Bradley Beal trade in the off season based either around Gordon or Brown.  Can't find the tweet, thought it was Keith Smith, but I've looked.

That's has been my thought but I think that's more the reason not to trade Smart.   An offer that started with Gordon and Smart is strong.

Yeah, my idea was to acquire Barnes and then combine him with Smart in a package for Beal.

I don’t think that I would include Smart in a trade for Gordon and Fournier.  Collins and Bogs, yes.
Completely agree.

While not a huge fan of Collins, he could be a reasonable starting point for a Bradley Beal trade (obviously with a massive haul of picks included).

Aaron Gordon isn’t moving the needle for you in a Beal deal any more than Marcus Smart would. And if Gordon costs you two firsts there’s absolutely no way that trade gets you closer to beal.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2021, 10:53:56 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
Hopefully Gordon is a smokescreen to convince Atlanta to trade us Collins.

Just read that Atlanta wanted Brown for a trade involving Collins (per Jared Weiss), so i'd say that avenue is closed...perhaps that is why the Celtics are negotiating for Gordon.

Weiss suggested that was an opening offer, but I thought the suggestion was that it wasn’t a realistic demand.

That's an opening offer that results in the call ending.

« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2021, 11:00:12 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Hopefully Gordon is a smokescreen to convince Atlanta to trade us Collins.

Just read that Atlanta wanted Brown for a trade involving Collins (per Jared Weiss), so i'd say that avenue is closed...perhaps that is why the Celtics are negotiating for Gordon.

Weiss suggested that was an opening offer, but I thought the suggestion was that it wasn’t a realistic demand.

That's an opening offer that results in the call ending.

Yes. And it probably reflects what Atlanta is thinking. They are winning games for the first time in a long time. Not going to be easy to convince them to part with two important pieces right now. The beat reporters are saying ATL probably won’t move Collins w/out a serious overpay and to me that rings true. 

« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2021, 11:03:34 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I am utterly shocked of the fan perception of Smart’s worth by fans. Marcus Smart is not worth 2 first round picks on his own lol. He’s a nice defensive player but a back hole on offense. Both Gordon and Fournier are on par if not better players than Smart. I’d have no qualms about trading Smart in a deal.

If Aaron Gordon is worth two firsts, it’s not crazy to think Marcus Smart is worth two firsts.  Plain and simple.
Aaron Gordon is an athletic wing who has shown he can hit the three. By default, it makes him more valuable than a combo guard.

« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2021, 11:09:50 AM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
I am utterly shocked of the fan perception of Smart’s worth by fans. Marcus Smart is not worth 2 first round picks on his own lol. He’s a nice defensive player but a back hole on offense. Both Gordon and Fournier are on par if not better players than Smart. I’d have no qualms about trading Smart in a deal.

If Aaron Gordon is worth two firsts, it’s not crazy to think Marcus Smart is worth two firsts.  Plain and simple.
Aaron Gordon is an athletic wing who has shown he can hit the three. By default, it makes him more valuable than a combo guard.

Yeah, I have to agree. Smart is a blind spot for Celtics fans: he’s gritty, tough, lunch-pail guy who takes charges and loves defense but is also a flawed player who has pretty well-documented limitations. He’s also played his entire career under Brad Stevens, a coach who (despite some fans’ disdain for him) has shown to get a lot out of young players, especially guards. This version of Smart might be the best one. There’s a very real chance that Aaron Gordon looks a lot better here than he did in Orlando. Nothing close to a guarantee but a real possibility. And he has the size/position to be a difference-maker.

Put it this way: Rondo was a gritty, tough guard (obviously he became more than just that). Then Avery Bradley was a gritty, tough guard. Then it was Smart. Now we also have Pritchard and even Langford could prove to fill that role. Those guys are out there. Marcus Smart is not some rare unicorn.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2021, 11:11:23 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868

The Gordon v. Smart debate is tough to settle but they are close enough in value in my opinion that it depends on the team.  Some teams Smart might help more, other teams Gordon.

As to the Celtics, I think we have a bigger need for a player like Gordon over Smart.  I think if there was a straight 1 for 1 trade and the Celtics got Gordon, he would become our starting PF with Kemba, Brown, Tatum + a Center and we would be a little better.  But better because of better roster balance not necessarily as much due to talent upgrade.

« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2021, 11:24:11 AM »

Online GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I’d trade Smart for Collins. I’m not sure if Gordon is worth it. He seems like a rather inefficient scorer himself. Really bad FT shooter, defense is ok, but Smart’s is elite. Tough call. Depends on the package. I wouldn’t give Smart, multiple firsts, AND Langford/Nesmith for AG and Fournier. That takes away almost all of our assets (including the TPE?) for good players, not a great one.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2021, 11:24:47 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

The Gordon v. Smart debate is tough to settle but they are close enough in value in my opinion that it depends on the team.  Some teams Smart might help more, other teams Gordon.

As to the Celtics, I think we have a bigger need for a player like Gordon over Smart.  I think if there was a straight 1 for 1 trade and the Celtics got Gordon, he would become our starting PF with Kemba, Brown, Tatum + a Center and we would be a little better.  But better because of better roster balance not necessarily as much due to talent upgrade.
TP! This is how I see it as well. Wouldn't be against a straight up trade. I also believe the Magic would be better off swapping Gordon for Smart.

PG: Kemba
SG: Brown
SF: Tatum
PF: Gordon
C: Theis / TT / Timelord
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 11:42:10 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2021, 11:36:31 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

I agree, particularly because we have replacement value for Smart in Romeo; he should be able to fill the positional void left by Smart.

Celtics would get crucified by the media if we trade Smart.  I think it would really bum out a lot of the players too, including Brown and Tatum.

« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2021, 11:37:07 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Gordon and Fournier, especially at the expense of Smart will make the team slightly better, but not nearly enough to use draft picks (and other players) or to use the TPE and go into the luxury tax for. 

Boston is better, but just not enough for me to be excited for that sort of trade.  I'd be fine with Gordon for two 1st's though. 

I'd try to do something like this, which doesn't use the TPE at all

Boston - Gordon, Bamba
Orlando - Thompson, Theis, Langford, G. Williams, 21 1st

Not sure Orlando would do that, but I'd shoot for something like that.  Might even throw in an extra 1st if I had to.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2021, 11:38:28 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
If we're surrendering 2 firsts, I'd expect us to at least dump Kemba's albatross.

Gordon + Fournier for Kemba + 2 picks

Personally speaking, I still wouldn't do it, but at least it would make way more sense than the rumored trade.

Smart + 2 firsts + the TPE is a premium package. I fully believe it can net us a better return than Gordon + Fournier. The TPE is a serious asset on its own. We are the only team in the league that can absorb north of $20 million without having to match salary. Unfortunately, it seems like Wyc isn't willing to pay luxury tax this season.

Don't get me wrong, I believe Gordon would be a nice fit in our system. That said, imo his 3P% this season is a fluke. I mean, his career averages are 32.5% from 3pt range and 69.5% from the FT line. I guess we'd have to pair him with a starting-caliber stretch 5.

Not a big fan of Fournier's game, but I reckon he'd make a very useful 6th man.
Nice post.  I'm with you on Kemba.  It makes a lot more sense if we are including him which would signal a new direction for the team.  I'm not all that interested in Gordon and think Smart is the better player of the two, but including Kemba and getting a reset on this team might be worth it.

I'm in this camp. I think there are two structures that I like:

A couple of firsts & a youngster for Gordon, where we're using the TPE, or

Kemba & a first for Gordon & Fournier.

There are details to iron out but those are the two basic structures I like. As much as I like Kemba, sending him out and getting Gordon and Fournier in return could be great. A Smart/Brown/Tatum/Gordon/Theis lineup could be devastating on defense. The main bench rotation includes Fournier/Timelord/Pritchard.

That makes a lot of sense to me.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2021, 11:40:25 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
If we're surrendering 2 firsts, I'd expect us to at least dump Kemba's albatross.

Gordon + Fournier for Kemba + 2 picks

Personally speaking, I still wouldn't do it, but at least it would make way more sense than the rumored trade.

Smart + 2 firsts + the TPE is a premium package. I fully believe it can net us a better return than Gordon + Fournier. The TPE is a serious asset on its own. We are the only team in the league that can absorb north of $20 million without having to match salary. Unfortunately, it seems like Wyc isn't willing to pay luxury tax this season.

Don't get me wrong, I believe Gordon would be a nice fit in our system. That said, imo his 3P% this season is a fluke. I mean, his career averages are 32.5% from 3pt range and 69.5% from the FT line. I guess we'd have to pair him with a starting-caliber stretch 5.

Not a big fan of Fournier's game, but I reckon he'd make a very useful 6th man.
Nice post.  I'm with you on Kemba.  It makes a lot more sense if we are including him which would signal a new direction for the team.  I'm not all that interested in Gordon and think Smart is the better player of the two, but including Kemba and getting a reset on this team might be worth it.

I'm in this camp. I think there are two structures that I like:

A couple of firsts & a youngster for Gordon, where we're using the TPE, or

Kemba & a first for Gordon & Fournier.

There are details to iron out but those are the two basic structures I like. As much as I like Kemba, sending him out and getting Gordon and Fournier in return could be great. A Smart/Brown/Tatum/Gordon/Theis lineup could be devastating on defense. The main bench rotation includes Fournier/Timelord/Pritchard.

That makes a lot of sense to me.

I guess with the follow up trade of Thompson and a 2nd to OKC for Hill.

« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2021, 11:43:10 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I'd be fine with Gordon for two 1st's though. 

I would be fine with this too if ... A.Gordon were not an unrestricted free agent this summer.

This is too high a price for the risk involved of Gordon leaving the team this summer minus two first round picks without anything to show for it.

We are all skipping over this point.

« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2021, 11:45:13 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I would be fine with this too if ... A.Gordon were not an unrestricted free agent this summer.

This is too high a price for the risk involved of Gordon leaving the team this summer minus two first round picks without anything to show for it.

Gordon has another year on his deal and has made noise of being willing to extend so maybe we're also negotiating that as part of this.

« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2021, 11:46:08 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

He is a UFA next summer. Not after this season