Author Topic: (Update) Celtics NOT favorites to land Aaron Gordon  (Read 33709 times)

(Update) Celtics NOT favorites to land Aaron Gordon
« on: March 23, 2021, 01:31:07 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Celtics favorites to land Aaron Gordon?

As first reported by Matt Moore of The Action Network (and confirmed by The Athletic), the Celtics are now considered the front-runners in the Aaron Gordon sweepstakes. A source with knowledge of the Gordon talks said the Celtics have indeed put two first-round picks on the table, and that the framework of the deal would also include Magic guard (and free-agent-to-be) Evan Fournier heading to the Celtics. (You can read additional coverage of a Gordon-to-Boston possibility here.) – via The Athletic NBA Staff @ The Athletic
Keith Smith: Sources: Aaron Gordon has put the Boston Celtics near the top of the list of teams he would like be traded to. Celtics and Magic remain engaged in trade talks. Boston has moved to Gordon as their primary target three days from the trade deadline. – via Twitter KeithSmithNBA
The Boston Celtics are reported “frontrunners” to acquire Aaron Gordon at the NBA trade deadline, according to a report from Matt Moore of The Action Network.

According to the report, The Magic have demanded two first-round picks in exchange for Gordon, who is in the penultimate season of a four-year deal worth $80 million. Other teams interested in Gordon have reportedly balked at the asking price, but the Celtics — whose 21-22 record and $28.5 million traded player exception has made them a prime candidate for a shakeup at the deadline — have reportedly been willing to offer up the necessary draft capital. Any potential protections are unclear at this stage..Magic is pushing for Smart in a trade

Glad to see Aaron list Celts as one of his top trade destinations

My guess is two separate trades?

Deal 1

To Magic: Smart, Semi, Edwards
To Celtics: Fournier

Deal 2

To Celtics: Gordon
To Magic: two 1sts

Then absorb Gordon with tpe
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 03:14:50 PM by Redz »

Re: The athletic: Celtics favorites to land Aaron Gordon?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2021, 01:48:25 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Trading the 2014 first-round #6 pick for the 2014 first-round #4 pick.

Fun. I think Danny's gotta do it lol.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2021, 01:55:06 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Trading the 2014 first-round #6 pick for the 2014 first-round #4 pick.

Fun. I think Danny's gotta do it lol.

I'm on board

AG can go off for 30 plus points at any given night. He has improved his 3 pt shot

He is a versatile defender. And best thing is locked up for a few more years on a very friendly contract

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 02:08:49 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
This would be a welcome reboot for this season. It looks like there’s a good chance that it happens too.  Friday can’t come too soon. If it does happen, would it be:

TT
AG
JT
JB
Kemba

Bench would be good  with Timelord, Fournier, Theis, Teague and whover is left.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 02:33:14 AM by radiohead »

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 02:15:39 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
This would be a welcome reboot for this season. It looks like there’s a good chance that it happens too.  Friday can’t come to soon. If it does happen, would it be:

TT
AG
JT
JB
Kemba

This is what I'm thinking

I wonder if Danny is contemplating between Hawks vs Magic package deals (rumor)

Either go for Collins and Bogdonovic

Or

Gordon and Fournier

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 02:42:27 AM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
This would be a welcome reboot for this season. It looks like there’s a good chance that it happens too.  Friday can’t come to soon. If it does happen, would it be:

TT
AG
JT
JB
Kemba

This is what I'm thinking

I wonder if Danny is contemplating between Hawks vs Magic package deals (rumor)

Either go for Collins and Bogdonovic

Or

Gordon and Fournier

If Collins is on the table I'd be shocked if we didn't pull the trigger

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2021, 02:44:21 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Here's hoping the deal falls through. Imo, 2 firsts for Gordon is an overpay. I'd rather have Smart, the picks and the TPE instead of Gordon and Fournier (assuming this is the framework of the deal).
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 08:09:06 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2021, 03:07:00 AM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
This is hoping the deal falls through. Imo, 2 firsts for Gordon is an overpay. I'd rather have Smart, the picks and the TPE instead of Gordon and Fournier (assuming this is the framework of the deal).

I don't get this logic.

This team isn't likely to be picking in the top 10 any time soon.  Can you name me two guys that Ainge has drafted outside of the top 10 in the past 10 years who (combined) would be more impact to the team then Aaron Gordon?

I can't. 

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2021, 03:33:09 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
AG highlight vs Nets a few days ago

https://youtu.be/Ew6oESmiY7Y

Fournier vs Nets - 31 pts, 6 threes

https://youtu.be/iXUfwIarl8s

Fournier avg 19 ppg. 38 per from 3.   For the season
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 03:39:09 AM by Tr1boy »

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2021, 04:13:05 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Fournier someone AGAIN, Ainge coulda drafted and shoulda because surprise, we needed a wing ::)

I really wanted Gordon in that draft, and from his interviews he wanted to be in Boston.  Just went too early.

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2021, 04:29:21 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Fournier someone AGAIN, Ainge coulda drafted and shoulda because surprise, we needed a wing ::)

I really wanted Gordon in that draft, and from his interviews he wanted to be in Boston.  Just went too early.
Evan Fournier was picked 20th. We had picks 21 and 22.

In their first two years Sully was also the way better player. So not only did we never have the chance to nab him, Sully looked like the pick of em for a couple of years.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2021, 07:12:34 AM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
To stay under the luxury tax, celtics would have to include around a further 7 million dollars in salary therefore I would assume the deal would be something like Smart+Langford+Nesmith for Gordon and Fournier including Grant Williams in place of Nesmith would put them just below the lax line by a few thousand dollars according to my calculations

The Deal also results in Orlando obtaining a trade exception to the tune of Gordon Salary ~18 million
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 07:20:28 AM by goCeltics »

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2021, 07:15:48 AM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I’d hate to lose Smart, but I think you’d have to pull the trigger on this trade.  Not only would Gordon and Fournier fill important holes, but this team could also use a shake up. 

I was advocating for Gordon earlier this season.  I think there’s some untapped potential there that a new scenery and Stevens’ coaching could bring out.

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2021, 07:17:27 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
This is hoping the deal falls through. Imo, 2 firsts for Gordon is an overpay. I'd rather have Smart, the picks and the TPE instead of Gordon and Fournier (assuming this is the framework of the deal).
The deal in essence would be for Gordon and Fournier. I don’t think that really outrageous tbh if all it costs you is Smart and two first rounders. Cs get a wing and they get a shooting upgrade offensively on the bench unit for scoring who they will be able to re-sign next offseason.

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2021, 07:35:48 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
The Celtics need to send out roughly $22 million to stay under the luxury tax, which I still believe to be an organizational goal this year, to get both Gordon and Fournier.  To me this feels most like Kemba being moved, either to the Magic or a 3rd team.  It could be Smart and Thompson, at least one of them to a third team.  The original tweets were saying the Celtics would send two firsts as part of a “larger deal”, which I think means there’s a third team involved, getting a player from the C’s and sending a pick to the Magic.

Of course, it remains to be seen if this is all smoke, or if there’s some conditional nature (the Celtics and Orlando have a deal if they can find someone to give Orlando compensation for taking on Thompson, for example.). We’ll find out by Thursday afternoon, I suppose.