Author Topic: Rob Williams vs players like him in NBA  (Read 6733 times)

Re: Rob Williams vs players like him in NBA
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2021, 05:58:56 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
To me, Rob Williams is a much better and more impactful player than Myles Turner.

I'm just never impressed when I watch Turner.  I think he's a soft big who lacks strength and isn't very useful unless his jumper is falling.  He's not nearly as good a shooter in practice as people seem to regard him in theory.

I agree, I like Rob better ......if his health can just hold for Boston

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2021, 06:09:06 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
To me, Rob Williams is a much better and more impactful player than Myles Turner.

I'm just never impressed when I watch Turner.  I think he's a soft big who lacks strength and isn't very useful unless his jumper is falling.  He's not nearly as good a shooter in practice as people seem to regard him in theory.

I'm not sure who is a good comp for Rob.  His coordination and gracefulness in making plays in the air or passing it across the court do kind of remind me of Adebayo, but Rob will almost certainly never have Bam's handle.

Hard to think of a guy who was 6'8''-6'9'' but who seemed like he was 6'11'' due to his length and athleticism, who didn't have a great handle but had really fantastic hands and could make some astonishing passes, who had a little bit of shooting range to like 15 feet but who finished >70% mostly by destroying the rim ....
Bill Russell if he played with modern-league efficiencies? ;)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2021, 10:10:24 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

I'm not sure who is a good comp for Rob.  His coordination and gracefulness in making plays in the air or passing it across the court do kind of remind me of Adebayo, but Rob will almost certainly never have Bam's handle.

Hard to think of a guy who was 6'8''-6'9'' but who seemed like he was 6'11'' due to his length and athleticism, who didn't have a great handle but had really fantastic hands and could make some astonishing passes, who had a little bit of shooting range to like 15 feet but who finished >70% mostly by destroying the rim ....
Bill Russell if he played with modern-league efficiencies? ;)
Russell had a great handle though (he also wasn't an astonishingly good passer).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2021, 11:32:33 AM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru

I agree, I like Rob better ......if his health can just hold for Boston

yep.

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2021, 12:16:15 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
Rob Williams is a slightly shorter, more athletic version of Marcus Camby. Elite rebounder and shot blocker. They even have a similar shooting stroke. I can’t think of anyone currently in the NBA that plays like the Timelord. He’s a rare bird and we are lucky to have him.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2021, 10:28:06 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
R. Williams is the most talented player on this roster. He's even more talented than Tatum imo. Brad Stevens needs to unleash this guy. He is a MASSIVE difference maker. The Celtics should lock him up long term regardless of the health implications. He's worth it.

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2021, 11:24:32 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Timelord is a special player and is on track to be our starting big next year. He’s a difference maker on both ends of the floor but conditioning and inexperience stand in his way. If he becomes a vocal communicator or if we find a way to transplant Smart’s brain into his body, watch out!
- LilRip

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2021, 11:50:15 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
R. Williams is the most talented player on this roster. He's even more talented than Tatum imo. Brad Stevens needs to unleash this guy. He is a MASSIVE difference maker. The Celtics should lock him up long term regardless of the health implications. He's worth it.
How is a guy who can't shoot or dribble more talented than an All-NBA calibre wing?

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2021, 12:22:50 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
How is a guy who can't shoot or dribble more talented than an All-NBA calibre wing?
I'm guessing that he thinks Robert can develop some sort of offensive game to go along with his great off-ball/high-post skillset and turn into an elite defensive anchor.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2021, 12:36:16 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
I'm guessing that he thinks Robert can develop some sort of offensive game to go along with his great off-ball/high-post skillset and turn into an elite defensive anchor.
That would have to be some serious development for a guy who is limited by his physical conditions to below 30MPG, according to Stevens

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2021, 05:18:46 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
That would have to be some serious development for a guy who is limited by his physical conditions to below 30MPG, according to Stevens
I mean people are still dreaming that Tatum can somehow explode in every single facet of offence to become the next LeBron/Durant lol, let them dream :laugh:
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2021, 12:18:10 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Thanks to fellow posters here, some excellent analysis.

Statistically, Rob is top 3 to top 5 in the NBA centers for blocks, rebounds, FG% and some other categories per 36 minutes. He is up there with the other centers mentioned in this thread.

Like any player Rob is a double edged sword.

He is about as athletic a 7'6" wingspan is ever going to be. Unlike other "long people" Robert's hand and it's timing is incredibly accurate. He doesn't "wave "at the ball, he is able to get his hand exactly where he wants it.

Watch him play, he is a bonko offensive rebounder. His timing, placement, launch whatever is about as good as there is.

His passing is well above average and his choice of target is excellent.

He can dribble a little bit, I guess.

His hands around the rim are excellent. He jumps higher than anyone else and now, for the argument settler...

Stevens has him in at the end of games....sort of. Some missed free throws with  under 2 minutes got him hooked, but, he was changing plays at both ends and you have to leave him in.

Theis does some stuff better than Rob and that is for sure, but Robert is a freaking force at both ends on a regular basis. He is big and long and fast.

Every player has weaknesses, but he's in the game because his strengths aren't matched by the opponent. 

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2021, 12:41:29 PM »

Online RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

In an ideal scenario his ceiling is insane.

But I'm ready to say that Timelord is on his way to become our 3rd star (alongside Tatum and Brown).
Remember 1.5 year ago, Brown was just an overpaid 13 PPG very good 3-and-D wing role player.

Now he's an All Star!!!

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2021, 01:06:45 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
If only silly lil Stevens gave him more minutes last year.

Who needs Anthony Davis. Timelord could be our very own Davis-lite, and eventually could become a top 5 center in the NBA.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2021, 01:16:45 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Ah, those are some pretty hopeful responses. I wouldn’t have realized he could be as quick as Theis laterally. That’s super encouraging. I’m in love with his offensive instincts and clearly the shot blocking.
I'm skeptical that he can become as quick laterally.  I don't think that's something that improves by leaps and bounds via work.  Hopefully I'm wrong.  I find it amazing that he's lightning quick in terms of up and down (I mean last week he bit on a pump fake by a big, went up, came down and still got back up in time to block the shot!) but subpar in terms of lateral quickness.  How is that even possible?
I think this has something to do with his hips. Just a feeling but am no expert
Also his legs are X shaped - compared that to Lebron who has soccer player - like O shaped or bowled ...
I would think with X shaped legs When you move sideways and fast you probably bang your knee joints all the time.

Remember Gerald Green? He could jump out of the gym, too, and his takeoff was so quick - but man, he just could not move laterally at defense even when engaged. Don’t understand the biomechanics; I would think it’s the design of the hip joint and maybe flexibility?