Author Topic: Cade Cunningham  (Read 11651 times)

Re: Cade Cunningham
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2021, 04:20:02 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Think he’ll shine with more space in the nba.

He was awesome in the big 12 tournament

Reminded me a tiny bit of Tatum who thoroughly dominated the acc tourney and was mediocre in the NCAA tourney.

Now Tatum’s acc tourney was more dominant but Cade was way more impressive the rest of the season.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2021, 07:59:24 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

Reminded me a tiny bit of Tatum who thoroughly dominated the acc tourney and was mediocre in the NCAA tourney.

Now Tatum’s acc tourney was more dominant but Cade was way more impressive the rest of the season.

One thing I remember about Tatum in college (whom I watched a lot more than Cunningham because we had a top pick) was how his team had no competent PG, and how often he was put in bad situations late in the shot clock because his team needed to be bailed out.  Despite that, I thought he had really good court vision and never understood why some NBA scouting dinging his passing.

This is in contrast that some of the comments here about Cunningham, asserting he could be a PG in the NBA.  No he couldn’t.  He has a real PG on his team in Anderson, and the differences were apparent.  Cunningham probably has better upside than Jaylen in making plays for his teammates, even the improved version of Jaylen that we’ve seen at times this year, because he has far a superior handle.  He’s someone who can be the primary ball handler on some sets, but not someone who should initiate the offense on a majority of possessions.

All this said, I like Cunningham.  Of the college one-and-dones I’ve seen multiple games this season, I would personally pick Jalen Suggs out of Gonzaga over Cunningham, but that’s it.  I also know that’s a minority opinion.  I haven’t seen enough of Mobley out of USC to rate.

« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2021, 08:17:27 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Love this. Hopefully, his draft stock will fall a little bit and we'll pull off a draft-night trade centered around Brown. The way I see it, this is our best bet to acquire a generational talent/future top 5 player. If we can somehow put CC next to Tatum, I believe we'll dominate the league for the next decade or so!

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want us to trade Brown. This is literally the only Brown trade I'd actively pursue.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 08:26:16 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2021, 09:26:02 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Love this. Hopefully, his draft stock will fall a little bit and we'll pull off a draft-night trade centered around Brown. The way I see it, this is our best bet to acquire a generational talent/future top 5 player. If we can somehow put CC next to Tatum, I believe we'll dominate the league for the next decade or so!

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want us to trade Brown. This is literally the only Brown trade I'd actively pursue.

Cunninhgam underperformed in two tournament games against a 12 and a 13th seed and you still would prefer moving Brown for him,
lol... He could very well be an Evan Turner or Michael Beasley, who both were #2 picks in their draft class.. Cade is not a transcendent talent.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 09:45:49 AM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2021, 09:30:43 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

Cunninhgam underperformed in two tournament games against a 12 and a 13th seed and you still would prefer moving Brown for him,
lol... He could very well be an Evan Turner, who went #2 overall or Michael Beasley who went #1. Cade is not a transcendent talent.

Beasley was also a #2 — Rose was #1 his year.

The thing I’ll say for Cunningham that I wouldn’t say for Beasley is that Cunningham clearly loves basketball.  Beasley loved the lifestyle basketball gave him.

« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2021, 10:07:12 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

lol... He could very well be an Evan Turner or Michael Beasley, who both were #2 picks in their draft class.. Cade is not a transcendent talent.
Yes, I'd still trade Brown for him. What's so funny?

Oklahoma State weren't even favorites to make the tournament, yet Cunningham underperformed cause he didn't lead a team full of scrubs past the 2nd round. Seems legit. For the record, they hadn't made the final tournament since 2017. They lost in the first round that year.

Evan Turner was a limited shooter averaging 36.5% from 3 on just 1.8 attempts per game throughout his college career and 75.8% from the FT line. Imo, this is what held him back, especially since his prime years coincided with the pace and space era. CC was averaging 40% from 3 on 5.7 attempts per game and 84.6% from the FT line. He literally has zero holes in his game. I fully believe he's a surefire future superstar (barring injuries).
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 10:13:57 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2021, 10:41:31 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
This is the thing about drafting.  You literally never know.  Cunningham could be a future star or he could be the next Beasley, Fultz, etc.  For example, coming out of college, I saw Beasley and Durant both as stars.  To me, the way they moved on the court, their vision, the appearance that physically, they were men among boys, the smooth shot, all of it looked good to me for both and apparently did also to the majority of NBA talent evaluators.  One became a hall of famer, one became a bust.

No matter how many times someone says, that they know Cunningham will be a NBA star, they simply don't.  No one knows.

With Brown, you do know what you have as an NBA player.  You don't know for sure how much better he may get but you know at worst, he is as fringe all star (fringe meaning towards the end of the list of all stars) who is still young and still improving.  I do not trade that for a draft pick.

A player like Wiseman with only part of an NBA season has demonstrated what he can do in the NBA.  He would be far less of a risk than someone like Cunningham.  There was a thread discussing trading for Wiseman where it was Smart and RWilliams.  I am not sure I would trade Brown even for Wiseman but if I ended up with the first pick, I would trade that for Wiseman.  Cunningham MIGHT end up the better player but there is so much less risk or uncertainty as compared to Wiseman.

« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2021, 11:28:18 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
This is the thing about drafting.  You literally never know.  Cunningham could be a future star or he could be the next Beasley, Fultz, etc.  For example, coming out of college, I saw Beasley and Durant both as stars.  To me, the way they moved on the court, their vision, the appearance that physically, they were men among boys, the smooth shot, all of it looked good to me for both and apparently did also to the majority of NBA talent evaluators.  One became a hall of famer, one became a bust.

No matter how many times someone says, that they know Cunningham will be a NBA star, they simply don't.  No one knows.

With Brown, you do know what you have as an NBA player.  You don't know for sure how much better he may get but you know at worst, he is as fringe all star (fringe meaning towards the end of the list of all stars) who is still young and still improving.  I do not trade that for a draft pick.

A player like Wiseman with only part of an NBA season has demonstrated what he can do in the NBA.  He would be far less of a risk than someone like Cunningham.  There was a thread discussing trading for Wiseman where it was Smart and RWilliams.  I am not sure I would trade Brown even for Wiseman but if I ended up with the first pick, I would trade that for Wiseman.  Cunningham MIGHT end up the better player but there is so much less risk or uncertainty as compared to Wiseman.

I agree with this and did not see the Same with Cunningham. He’s not even a consensus #1. Think a lot of teams would consider Mobley or Suggs. Especially when those two are still in the tournament.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 11:33:52 AM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2021, 12:30:48 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

I agree with this and did not see the Same with Cunningham. He’s not even a consensus #1. Think a lot of teams would consider Mobley or Suggs. Especially when those two are still in the tournament.

If the intangibles are there with Cunningham, then I would gamble on him over Wiseman.  I would not trade Brown for either.

« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2021, 03:34:29 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

One thing I remember about Tatum in college (whom I watched a lot more than Cunningham because we had a top pick) was how his team had no competent PG, and how often he was put in bad situations late in the shot clock because his team needed to be bailed out.  Despite that, I thought he had really good court vision and never understood why some NBA scouting dinging his passing.

This is in contrast that some of the comments here about Cunningham, asserting he could be a PG in the NBA.  No he couldn’t.  He has a real PG on his team in Anderson, and the differences were apparent.  Cunningham probably has better upside than Jaylen in making plays for his teammates, even the improved version of Jaylen that we’ve seen at times this year, because he has far a superior handle.  He’s someone who can be the primary ball handler on some sets, but not someone who should initiate the offense on a majority of possessions.

All this said, I like Cunningham.  Of the college one-and-dones I’ve seen multiple games this season, I would personally pick Jalen Suggs out of Gonzaga over Cunningham, but that’s it.  I also know that’s a minority opinion.  I haven’t seen enough of Mobley out of USC to rate.
Yeah Tatum’s Duke team was strange. They had 4 ball dominant player none of which were really point guards. Then coach K missed a chunk of the season and a couple other guys had injuries so they didn’t really figure out the hierarchy and roles until very near the end of the season
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2021, 03:59:19 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

Watching Jalen Suggs this afternoon, my opinion about Suggs over Cunningham hasn't changed at all.  Similar offensive ability, much more fundamentally sound defense.

« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2021, 04:25:37 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Watching Jalen Suggs this afternoon, my opinion about Suggs over Cunningham hasn't changed at all.  Similar offensive ability, much more fundamentally sound defense.
Jalen Suggs is super solid. Definitely above Cunningham for me too. I also rate Jalen Green above Cunningham. I have Cunningham, Mobley, Kuminga and Barnes all similar
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)