Author Topic: The Superstar Ascension of Jaylen Brown  (Read 17212 times)

Re: The Superstar Ascension of Jaylen Brown
« Reply #90 on: April 16, 2021, 12:50:49 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I wonder how much higher Jaylen's points per game would be if he got even a small amount of respect from the refs. Brown gets mugged under the basket on his drives every game with no calls. If his name was LeBron, Giannis, Kobe, Harden or Luka, Jaylen would be getting to the line 10+ times a game. With even a tiny bit of respect, Jaylen doubling his FTAs per game to 8.6 would mean a 3 points per game jump in his scoring. That is only getting two more fouls called for him per game and that seems like it should already be happening, but the refs won't blow those whistles for him. I do not get that.

« Reply #91 on: April 16, 2021, 01:01:44 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Consummate teammate and arguably the best 3&D in the league. And he just keeps getting better every year.
Brown is so much more than a 3&D guy.

Obviously. Can you point out where I said he only provides 3&D? I know it’s fun to pretend logical inconsistencies exist so you can create an opportunity to sound like a genius.

What do you think a 3-and-D player is if not for a guy who primarily shoots 3s and plays defense?

3-and-D
Any player, typically not a star, who specializes mainly in three-point shooting ("3") and defense ("D"). The term is most often used in the NBA, where this specific skill set has been increasingly valued in the 21st century.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_basketball_terms#0%E2%80%939

« Reply #92 on: April 16, 2021, 01:28:45 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
He has gotten better in fairly meaningful increments, each season.  I think the question is how many more of these increments of improvement are we going to see?  I don't think he is yet starting to approach his ceiling, he will have, what, 2, 3, 4 more seasons of improvement?  He is an all star now (albeit barely), where is he going to be in 3 seasons or 4 seasons?

I think back on players like Reggie Lewis and Chauncy Billups who were raw talents to start but kept getting better for many years.  I think Jaylen Brown will have a similar path and probably will be better than either.  We are not going to see his peak for a few years or more for sure.

I don't understand all the treads about trading him.  For Towns or Harden or someone like that?  Sure, you consider it.  Beals?  I am not so sure and there are not too many others that I would even give it a second of thought.  It is a very short list of players I would consider trading Jaylen Brown for and gets shorter as he continues to improve.

« Reply #93 on: April 16, 2021, 02:47:40 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Consummate teammate and arguably the best 3&D in the league. And he just keeps getting better every year.

Obviously. Can you point out where I said he only provides 3&D? I know it’s fun to pretend logical inconsistencies exist so you can create an opportunity to sound like a genius.

What do you think a 3-and-D player is if not for a guy who primarily shoots 3s and plays defense?

3-and-D
Any player, typically not a star, who specializes mainly in three-point shooting ("3") and defense ("D"). The term is most often used in the NBA, where this specific skill set has been increasingly valued in the 21st century.

How about the Celtics coaches themselves three weeks ago?

https://mobile.twitter.com/ByJayKing/status/1374207639714992131

Mic drop.

« Reply #94 on: April 16, 2021, 02:57:00 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

3-and-D

Mic drop.

I think you're missing the point.

When somebody uses the moniker "Three-And-D" player, they are talking about guys like Danny Green or Robert Covington.  It suggests a role player of a limited skill set, but who possesses two important skills:  good defense and a floor-stretching jumper.

When players add more skills -- penetration, all-around scoring, passing, rebound -- they become more than 3&D players.  Obviously, Lebron and Kawhi aren't limited to 3&D.  I think the original point was that Jaylen has transcended this category.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #95 on: April 16, 2021, 03:05:08 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
I wonder how much higher Jaylen's points per game would be if he got even a small amount of respect from the refs. Brown gets mugged under the basket on his drives every game with no calls. If his name was LeBron, Giannis, Kobe, Harden or Luka, Jaylen would be getting to the line 10+ times a game. With even a tiny bit of respect, Jaylen doubling his FTAs per game to 8.6 would mean a 3 points per game jump in his scoring. That is only getting two more fouls called for him per game and that seems like it should already be happening, but the refs won't blow those whistles for him. I do not get that.

Yeah, and we aren't talking about little touch fouls. A lot of times he's knocked to the ground with no call. The worst part is it tells the other team that they can wack him with no consequences.

« Reply #96 on: April 16, 2021, 03:15:20 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

3-and-D

Mic drop.

They aren't calling him a 3&D player.  As Nick says, that term is for guys who shoot 3's and play D.  Mostly their shots come off the catch.  Some of them may get to the rim if there's too aggressive of a closeout, but they aren't passers, they aren't penetrators, they don't initiate the offense, etc.  3-and--D has a clear definition to everyone else who's posted in this discussion than you.  It's not about logical inconsistencies -- it's about you using a pretty well understood term like 3&D and ascribing it to a player that is outside that definition.  Kevin Durant takes a higher percentage of 3s than Jaylen -- is he 3&D?  Tatum takes about the same -- is he 3&D?  Paul George?

« Reply #97 on: April 16, 2021, 03:24:58 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91

Yeah, and we aren't talking about little touch fouls. A lot of times he's knocked to the ground with no call. The worst part is it tells the other team that they can wack him with no consequences.

I wish we would retaliate on the other end when a Celtics receives a hard foul without a call. Don’t complain to the ref, just run back on defense and someone on the other team gets laid out.

Not a flagrant foul, just a hard screen, or a drive to the hoop, just make it obvious and hard. Call it a “Brush back” or a “Hockey foul,” whatever, just send the message. The opponent and the referees should both understand the message.

And not from the guy who got fouled initially. Too bad we don’t have a Baynes type around anymore. TT should be handing a couple of those out every game though.

« Reply #98 on: April 16, 2021, 03:27:57 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

I wish we would retaliate on the other end when a Celtics receives a hard foul without a call. Don’t complain to the ref, just run back on defense and someone on the other team gets laid out.

Not a flagrant foul, just a hard screen, or a drive to the hoop, just make it obvious and hard. Call it a “Brush back” or a “Hockey foul,” whatever, just send the message. The opponent and the referees should both understand the message.

And not from the guy who got fouled initially. Too bad we don’t have a Baynes type around anymore. TT should be handing a couple of those out every game though.
Given how strong he is, Grant Williams would seem to be the perfect guy to do this. Give a hard screen, move the hip or shoulder into a guy and put him on the floor. Grant has an NFL body. Might as well use it.

« Reply #99 on: April 16, 2021, 03:31:18 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

As others have said, you appear to be using the 3&D label improperly. I was simply pointing out that Brown isn't that type of player. No need to get insulting or hostile, as I wasn't toward you.

« Reply #100 on: April 16, 2021, 05:25:19 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I’m not sure you’re aware of what is inferred from the term 3&D if this is how you’re reacting. It’s almost exclusively used on guys who don’t provide more than 3&D
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #101 on: April 29, 2021, 11:41:22 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Bumping this thread after not only the last two games where Brown had per game numbers of:

38.5 points, 9 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 2 steals with shooting splits of 53.1/45.8/93.3 and a TS% of an unreal 69.2%

But also because of his amazing month of April where, in 12 games his per game numbers were:

26.5 points, 7.2 rebounds, 2.3 assists and 1.3 steals with shooting splits of 53.1/45.2/81.8 and a TS% of 64.8%.

And his defense has been great

That's superstar stuff right there.

« Reply #102 on: April 29, 2021, 11:48:49 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The assists are still quite low for a guy scoring as much as Jaylen is.

Feels a bit like looking for imperfections in a stunning bronze statue or something, but that remains the next big improvement for Jaylen to make. 

This is a good point by Kungu on Twitter:

A.K
@Kungu_NBA

Quick thread on Jaylen Brown:

We found out Jaylen was asked by C's staff to shoot more 3's on 3/22/21. Before then he was shooting 6.5 3PA at 38.8%, since then, he's shooting 8.3 on 42.6%.
8:41 AM · Apr 29, 2021·Twitter Web App

@Kungu_NBA

However, prior, he was averaging 3.9 apg, and now that is down to 2.2apg. Makes sense considering his playmaking reads in mid-post were where he showed most growth as a playmaker.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #103 on: April 29, 2021, 11:53:45 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
The assists are still quite low for a guy scoring as much as Jaylen is.

Feels a bit like looking for imperfections in a stunning bronze statue or something, but that remains the next big improvement for Jaylen to make.
Given how much he improves every off-season, I think that will improve. He went from 2.1 APG to 3.4 APG in one year. A similar growth puts him at 5 APG next year. That would be amazing given how he started his career. It would be something almost no one, except me of course😇, saw happening.

« Reply #104 on: April 29, 2021, 12:03:02 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

A.K
@Kungu_NBA

Quick thread on Jaylen Brown:

We found out Jaylen was asked by C's staff to shoot more 3's on 3/22/21. Before then he was shooting 6.5 3PA at 38.8%, since then, he's shooting 8.3 on 42.6%.
8:41 AM · Apr 29, 2021·Twitter Web App

@Kungu_NBA

However, prior, he was averaging 3.9 apg, and now that is down to 2.2apg. Makes sense considering his playmaking reads in mid-post were where he showed most growth as a playmaker.
This 2nd part you added is interesting, Pho, TP.

The team asked him to shoot more three pointers and not only did he do it, he got better at it.

The decrease in assists since then do make sense because he isn't penetrating as much, so less opportunity to create assists. But so does the fact his assists were on the increase before that due to more responsibility for playmaking with Smart out over a month and Kemba out a bunch due to back to backs.