Author Topic: The Superstar Ascension of Jaylen Brown  (Read 17194 times)

Re: The Superstar Ascension of Jaylen Brown
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2020, 06:34:15 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I posted this elsewhere so thought I should share it here as well.

Last night, in the Celtics thrilling 122-121 victory over the Milwaukee Bucks, Celtic fans may have just seen the maturation of Jaylen Brown to All-Star status and perhaps, his ascension to being a superstar in this league. Jaylen was pretty easily the best player on the Garden parkay going for:

34 points
4 assists
5 rebounds
2 steals
1 block
0 turnovers

while going 13 -24 from the field, 3-8 from three and 4-4 from the line. Jaylen was the leader of that group of he, Smart, Thompson, Teague and Semi that turned the game around in the 2nd quarter with stifling defense and intelligent efficient offense.

Brown showed that once again, he has worked on his game in the off-season and added another dimension to his game. Much like his free throw shooting, what was once thought a massive weakness in his game, Brown's handle is now his strength and with that comes the ability to see the floor better and become comfortable creating offense. But not just his offense, but offense for others. Brown made all the right passes and one pretty incredible sling pass across the court from the baseline to the top of the three point line that has never been in his arsenal. Jaylen ran pick and roll plays with Thompson that showed incredibly good chemistry and execution. This pairing could be lightening in a bottle for Stevens. Also, it was quite evident Brown and Tatum have decided they will be looking for each other much more on offense.

Brown's ability to create half court offense is essential to him taking that step to superstardom and last night he showed he can do it. He ran half court offense while destroying Milwaukee with his ability to easily get past his defender and get to his spots for mid range jumpers and turnarounds that were dropping all night. A fairly amazing moment happened when Milwaukee got a three second tech and it was Brown Stevens sent to the line to drain the free throw. That doesn't happen pre Covid. Adding better free throw shooting, crisper more accurate passing, a deadly mid range game, better court vision while playing even better team and one on one defense has transformed Brown's overall game and turned him into the next future superstar in this league.

Jaylen Brown has grown up. He's no longer a kid. He is The Man. A superstar for sure.

Jaylen Brown was awesome, as was the rest of the team. Very impressive win.

I don't know why I sometimes doubt the man. Brown is your binkie, but he's also a bit my binkie.
Over our 2 deep playoff runs 2018 and 2020, I find Brown has arguably been our best player.
I don't believe there's necessarily a massive difference between Brown and Tatum.

I have to admit that I was one of the guys who proposed a Brown for Harden trade. Though I find it reasonable that you have to give up a very valuable player to get a perennial MVP-candidate. In that context I have been arguing that Brown himself should be enough to entice the Rockets. 

But if the reports are true that Miami isn't offering Adebayo, Philadelphia isn't offering Simmons (which I think they should), Denver isn't offering Murray or Porter Jr, then perhaps it's unnecessary to offer Brown either.
Don't want to derail this thread into a Harden discussion, so I'll leave it at that.

Back to Brown. That is a very impressive statline, but it doesn't stand out that much if you look at the daily stats for other stars in the league. Last night these guys put up nice and efficient stat lines as well: Young (37/6/7), Morant (44/9), Rozier (42), DeRozan (28/9/9), Barrett (26/8/5), Middleton (27/14/8), Hayward (28/4/7), Ingram (24/9/11), Sabonis (32/13/5), Towns (22/11/7), Jokic (29/15/14), Embiid (29/14) and Gobert (20/17).

What's noticable is that Brown often steps up in the big games. And that's a trademark of someone who's poised to do great things in the future. But to call this his superstar ascension after one game in the season is premature.

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2020, 06:49:28 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I posted this elsewhere so thought I should share it here as well.

Last night, in the Celtics thrilling 122-121 victory over the Milwaukee Bucks, Celtic fans may have just seen the maturation of Jaylen Brown to All-Star status and perhaps, his ascension to being a superstar in this league. Jaylen was pretty easily the best player on the Garden parkay going for:

34 points
4 assists
5 rebounds
2 steals
1 block
0 turnovers

while going 13 -24 from the field, 3-8 from three and 4-4 from the line. Jaylen was the leader of that group of he, Smart, Thompson, Teague and Semi that turned the game around in the 2nd quarter with stifling defense and intelligent efficient offense.

Brown showed that once again, he has worked on his game in the off-season and added another dimension to his game. Much like his free throw shooting, what was once thought a massive weakness in his game, Brown's handle is now his strength and with that comes the ability to see the floor better and become comfortable creating offense. But not just his offense, but offense for others. Brown made all the right passes and one pretty incredible sling pass across the court from the baseline to the top of the three point line that has never been in his arsenal. Jaylen ran pick and roll plays with Thompson that showed incredibly good chemistry and execution. This pairing could be lightening in a bottle for Stevens. Also, it was quite evident Brown and Tatum have decided they will be looking for each other much more on offense.

Brown's ability to create half court offense is essential to him taking that step to superstardom and last night he showed he can do it. He ran half court offense while destroying Milwaukee with his ability to easily get past his defender and get to his spots for mid range jumpers and turnarounds that were dropping all night. A fairly amazing moment happened when Milwaukee got a three second tech and it was Brown Stevens sent to the line to drain the free throw. That doesn't happen pre Covid. Adding better free throw shooting, crisper more accurate passing, a deadly mid range game, better court vision while playing even better team and one on one defense has transformed Brown's overall game and turned him into the next future superstar in this league.

Jaylen Brown has grown up. He's no longer a kid. He is The Man. A superstar for sure.

Jaylen Brown was awesome, as was the rest of the team. Very impressive win.

I don't know why I sometimes doubt the man. Brown is your binkie, but he's also a bit my binkie.
Over our 2 deep playoff runs 2018 and 2020, I find Brown has arguably been our best player.
I don't believe there's necessarily a massive difference between Brown and Tatum.

I have to admit that I was one of the guys who proposed a Brown for Harden trade. Though I find it reasonable that you have to give up a very valuable player to get a perennial MVP-candidate. In that context I have been arguing that Brown himself should be enough to entice the Rockets. 

But if the reports are true that Miami isn't offering Adebayo, Philadelphia isn't offering Simmons (which I think they should), Denver isn't offering Murray or Porter Jr, then perhaps it's unnecessary to offer Brown either.
Don't want to derail this thread into a Harden discussion, so I'll leave it at that.

Back to Brown. That is a very impressive statline, but it doesn't stand out that much if you look at the daily stats for other stars in the league. Last night these guys put up nice and efficient stat lines as well: Young (37/6/7), Morant (44/9), Rozier (42), DeRozan (28/9/9), Barrett (26/8/5), Middleton (27/14/8), Hayward (28/4/7), Ingram (24/9/11), Sabonis (32/13/5), Towns (22/11/7), Jokic (29/15/14), Embiid (29/14) and Gobert (20/17).

What's noticable is that Brown often steps up in the big games. And that's a trademark of someone who's poised to do great things in the future. But to call this his superstar ascension after one game in the season is premature.

A whole lot of those guys that posted those stats lost. Jaylen did it against the Bucks, and won.  Maybe two of those guys are in the same conversation defensively. The rest aren't close.

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2020, 07:38:44 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Another thing to add. When you sometimes read on our rivals fora (as I do) like Raptors, 76ers or Bucks fans they mostly despise Tatum, they hate Smart but also admit they'd love him if he was on their team, but they all really like and respect Brown and also fear him. I feel like a lot of other teams' fans fear Brown more than Tatum as he can really takeover a game.

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2020, 08:33:00 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2003
Two major positives resulting from Haywards departure for both Tatum and Brown:

1) More opportunities to handle the ball and further develop their pick and roll play.  Both need to learn to consistently make their teammates better if we want to win banner 18 with them as our two best players.
2) Being the focus of the opposing team's scouting report, especially while Kemba is out.  They will both be exposed to different looks on how they're being guarded.  Obviously both have faced tough defenses in the playoffs, but I think being challenged further by opposing defenses will benefit both significantly in the long run.

I've always been high on Brown.  He accepts challenges, knows what he needs to improve on, and clearly puts in tons of work in the offseason.  He said in an interview this year that he knows he needs to make his teammates better.  I think he's ready to make that leap and shoulder the offensive responsibility.  He's going to have some bad games and make bad passes as he's learning, but his growth since his rookie year has been tremendous.  For how little PnR play he's had early in his career I'd say he looked remarkably poised with the ball recently.

I'm not sure about superstar status just yet, but he was clearly snubbed last year from the All Star game.  Tatum was getting all the attention and people overlooked Brown.  Not this year.

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2020, 11:40:58 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Brown showed that once again, he has worked on his game in the off-season and added another dimension to his game. Much like his free throw shooting, what was once thought a massive weakness in his game, Brown's handle is now his strength and with that comes the ability to see the floor better and become comfortable creating offense.

Well the offseason lasted about twenty minutes this time around. The development in Brown's ballhandling has been steady from the beginning; fans usually seem to be at least a season behind in their assessments.  JB was already a wizard at it in Fall 2019, without being any worse at ballhandling turnovers - even as posters here continued to claim that he was only capable of straight-line drives.

Jaylen ran pick and roll plays with Thompson that showed incredibly good chemistry and execution. This pairing could be lightening in a bottle for Stevens.

So interesting also to see him as the screener in a couple of pick and pops with Teague.
I mean fans on this forum can make some crazy takes lol (me included). Brown's rise was obvious to me in the 2019 playoffs and FIBA World Cup, he just wasn't getting the opportunity to run the offence back then. The next step for him would be to develop foul drawing moves and fakes/hesitations that manipulate the defence while ramping up his defensive playmaking and rotations.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2020, 10:45:41 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Brown is far from a super star and I don’t think He’ll ever get to that level. That being said, I do think he could be a top 25ish player and this more added responsibility this year I think he could really get there.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 10:52:13 AM by PAOBoston »

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2020, 09:45:05 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
People need to stop doubting me when it's comes to Jaylen Brown. 😊😁

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2020, 09:48:53 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
And me 8)
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2020, 09:52:29 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
And me 8)

admitted Brown super-fan here...+1

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2020, 09:53:59 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
42 points. Career high? Wow

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2020, 09:56:42 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

He could have had 50!!!

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2020, 10:00:37 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!

He could have had 50!!!

I'm glad he didnt..

it would have set you expectation  too high....

trade talks etc etc..

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2020, 10:46:54 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Brad ran a lot of action for him tonight. That might have been a defensive matchup exploitation move, I don't know, but Tatum passed it to him several times where he would ordinarily go to work.

Whatever the case, he was superstar material tonight...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2020, 08:29:22 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 365
So far Jaylen brown has looked like the best player on the team.

I'm sure Tatum will get it going eventually, he had a slow start last year. But Jaylen Brown looks to have taken a huge jump.

I would not trade him for lazy harden

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2020, 08:38:16 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I DO think he’s currently our best player and thrilled that we’re exploiting mismatches with going to the hoop. His handle has vastly improved. Props to Jaylen for a lot of hours in the gym.