Author Topic: Cade Cunningham  (Read 11732 times)

Re: Cade Cunningham
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2021, 09:18:56 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
So Cunningham for the 1st time is put into the limelight in the NCAA tournament and with three minutes left in the game, Cunningham has 8 points on 2-11 shooting, 1-6 on threes with 4 turnovers, 3 rebounds and 1 assist.

Oh, his team is struggling to stay ahead of world reknown basketball power, #13 Liberty.

But, yeah, let's trade Tatum or Brown for this kid because he is supposedly transcendent....not.

It’a a complete joke. Can’t believe people are saying that.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2021, 09:30:21 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
I know most on here hate watching YouTube clips but this breakdown of Evan Mobley is fantastic and is only 5 minutes

https://youtu.be/tJsXnw_NEss

It’s done by Stadium’s Cameron Smith & Tim Doyle
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2021, 09:46:57 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
So Cunningham for the 1st time is put into the limelight in the NCAA tournament and with three minutes left in the game, Cunningham has 8 points on 2-11 shooting, 1-6 on threes with 4 turnovers, 3 rebounds and 1 assist.

Oh, his team is struggling to stay ahead of world reknown basketball power, #

But, yeah, let's trade Tatum or Brown for this kid because he is supposedly transcendent....not.

Well one thing is for sure. Tatum ain’t transcendent. He’s become a selfish black hole.

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2021, 10:04:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Well one thing is for sure. Tatum ain’t transcendent. He’s become a selfish black hole.
I never considered Jaylen or Jayson transcendent talents. But they both have the potential to be long time top 10-15 player in the league talent and have already received All-Star and All-NBA accolades.

You don't trade guys that good, with a winning pedigree, with playoff experience and with playoff success, at their age, for a guy that might never be that good.

Cade Cunningham is not a transcendent talent. He is no Doncic or LeBron or MJ or Bird or Magic. He is probably the best player in this draft and has a really high floor with unreal upside. His passing and creating for others is sorely lacking to ever be considered transcendent. But he could still have a DWade, Vince Carter, Tracy McGrady, Paul Pierce type career and not a single person would call that a bad #1 pick.

The kid would need to be the next LeBron or Doncic or MJ or Bird or Magic and you would have to expect the type of results those guys gave their teams straight out of game#1 in their careers. He would need to be that good that fast to move Brown or Tatum for him. And...he just ain't.

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2021, 10:38:00 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum

I never considered Jaylen or Jayson transcendent talents. But they both have the potential to be long time top 10-15 player in the league talent and have already received All-Star and All-NBA accolades.

You don't trade guys that good, with a winning pedigree, with playoff experience and with playoff success, at their age, for a guy that might never be that good.

Cade Cunningham is not a transcendent talent. He is no Doncic or LeBron or MJ or Bird or Magic. He is probably the best player in this draft and has a really high floor with unreal upside. His passing and creating for others is sorely lacking to ever be considered transcendent. But he could still have a DWade, Vince Carter, Tracy McGrady, Paul Pierce type career and not a single person would call that a bad #1 pick.

The kid would need to be the next LeBron or Doncic or MJ or Bird or Magic and you would have to expect the type of results those guys gave their teams straight out of game#1 in their careers. He would need to be that good that fast to move Brown or Tatum for him. And...he just ain't.

Personally I think that Tatum is/could be a transcendent player... it’s just his on court decisions that are holding him back.

Look at when he was a rookie, because he was surrounded by veterans and was not a super hyped prospect, there was no ego and he played within the system, worked his ass off on defence and played within his strengths for the teams benefit. But as he’s become a ‘superstar’ he immediately went back to playing isolation offence poor shot selection and now has gotten lazy on defence. Players that idolise Kobe all seem to have that idea stuck in their head and it’s almost impossible to shake it. Stevens and Ainge have talked to him about shot selection and high percentage plays, I remember his own trainer admitted he talked to Tatum about it too but it’s almost ingrained.

Tatum as all the ability in the world.

He’s got athleticism, height, length and strength (without losing speed), perfect shooting stroke, high basketball I.Q, very good passing ability for a score first forward and very solid defence when willing.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 02:38:31 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2021, 10:43:58 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

Who said Cade Cunningham was a transcendent talent? 

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2021, 10:51:03 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

Personally I think that Tatum is/could be a transcendent player... it’s just his on court decisions that are holding him back.

Look at when he was a rookie, because he was surrounded by veterans and was not a super hyped prospect, there was no ego and he played within the system, worked his ass off on defence and played within his strengths for the teams benefit. But as he’s become a ‘superstar’ he immediately went back to playing isolation offence poor shot selection and now has gotten lazy on defence. Players that idolise Kobe all seem to have that idea suck in their head and it’s almost impossible to shake it. Stevens and Ainge have talked to him about shot selection and high percentage plays, I remember his own trainer admitted he talked to Tatum about it too but it’s almost ingrained.

Tatum as all the ability in the world.

He’s got athleticism, height, length and strength (without losing speed), perfect shooting stroke, high basketball I.Q, very good passing ability for a score first forward and very solid defence when willing.

I disagree.  Tatum is not particularly athletic, especially for an NBA player. He is a weak finisher.  He seems to have below average court awareness.  He has a high level of skill in taking hard shots, has developed really good foot work. Is a good defender.  He does not have high basketball I.Q.  Lebron, Larry Bird, Chris Paul, Magic Johnson are players that have high IQ.  Tatum couldn't rent a room for an hour in that house. Honestly I am starting to feel that Tatum has become an  over rated player.  Doesn't mean he isn't a good player.  Just not all NBA caliber, not even 3rd team, certainly not this year.

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2021, 07:53:17 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Who said Cade Cunningham was a transcendent talent?
He's definitely a transcendent talent in my book. You guys are nitpicking about one game. I fully believe he'll become a better player than Brown. Most likely, a better player than Tatum as well. 

I only watched the first 10 minutes or so of the game. Cunningham was 0-5 from the floor till then, but his passing and court vision were outstanding. I remember at least 3 potential assists. It ain't his fault that his teammates were unable to score. Sure, his shots weren't falling last night (2-8 from 3pt range). It can happen to everybody. He still scored 15 points on 14 shots cause he ain't just a shooter. The way he plays, he gets to the FT line (7-9 last night). It was a slow paced game, as most NCAA games are. Cunningham's team scored a total of 69 points. 15 out of 69 points in a bad shooting night is nothing to sneeze at. That would be north of 20 points by NBA standards. The pace of the game is way faster in the NBA.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 09:05:51 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2021, 11:30:55 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I fully believe he'll become a better player than Brown. Most likely, a better player than Tatum as well. 

Which means there is no way to get him for us.

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2021, 12:43:02 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I fully believe he'll become a better player than Brown. Most likely, a better player than Tatum as well. 

Which means there is no way to get him for us.
Not necessarily. I just expressed my opinion. Obviously, I may well be wrong. Talent evaluation is highly subjective. Not to mention, different teams have different needs. For instance, the Wizards have two win-now stars in Beal and Westbrook. If they win the lottery, it's possible they'd be willing to trade the #1 pick for a 3rd win-now star in Brown.

« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2021, 12:27:43 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
Not impressed with Cunningham. Losing to a 12 seed, shot 6–20 from the field, 24pts, 3reb, 4ast. thought Thompson from Oregon outplayed him.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2021, 12:35:57 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Not impressed with Cunningham. Losing to a 12 seed, shot 6–20 from the field, 24pts, 3reb, 4ast. thought Thompson from Oregon outplayed him.

This after going 3-14 vs a 13 seed.

Tourney line of 39 points, 9-34, 9 reb, 4 assists, 5 turnovers in two games.  Not the worst performance ever, but not one that screams undisputed #1 pick.

« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2021, 12:45:37 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Tourney line of 39 points, 9-34, 9 reb, 4 assists, 5 turnovers in two games.  Not the worst performance ever, but not one that screams undisputed #1 pick.
26% shooting is not good. His negative assist:turnover ratio reared its ugly ahead again in the tourney.

Not a good look for him to melt like this when facing tougher opposition and more focused defences
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2021, 12:56:08 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

26% shooting is not good. His negative assist:turnover ratio reared its ugly ahead again in the tourney.

Not a good look for him to melt like this when facing tougher opposition and more focused defences

This doesn’t really describe the defense he saw tonight.  It was pretty poor — he just bricked a ton of shots and was out of control a lot on his drives.  He got to the line a lot to keep from completely tanking his efficiency, but he did not shine on the brightest stage.

He did record 5 steals tonight, but that was largely a product of a lot of defensive gambling/trapping defense that OK state employed as they tried to come back from a deficit the final 30 minutes.

« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2021, 01:31:25 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

This doesn’t really describe the defense he saw tonight.  It was pretty poor — he just bricked a ton of shots and was out of control a lot on his drives.  He got to the line a lot to keep from completely tanking his efficiency, but he did not shine on the brightest stage.

He did record 5 steals tonight, but that was largely a product of a lot of defensive gambling/trapping defense that OK state employed as they tried to come back from a deficit the final 30 minutes.
I didn't catch the Oregon game, that's interesting. I wonder if the pressure of having to carry that offence got to him a bit.

He's definitely a good prospect, but I hope there's some pumping on the brakes regarding trading one of the Jays for him.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)