Author Topic: Coronavirus Concerns  (Read 488344 times)

Re: Coronavirus Concerns
« Reply #6225 on: September 26, 2021, 01:35:34 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 40
The whole island thing is bogus. Australia is the size of the continental US. It's a continent, not an island.

Island dweller here. Overall we’ve massively botched nearly every step of our Covid response because our government is a rudderless embarrassment. Being an island doesn’t mean anything.

Norway just lifted all of their restrictions and are going back to “life as normal”. Including most travel restrictions in terms of letting folks in. Will be interesting to see how it goes.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #6226 on: September 26, 2021, 05:24:26 PM »

Offline gouki88

• Global Moderator
  • Sam Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1216
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Apparently Melbourne has now undergone the world's longest lockdown at 235 days as of today. Does it feel that long @gouki88 or are people just getting used to it now?

I guess your vaccination rollout is really picking up steam now after some early hiccups at least. Then you can become like the rest of us - fighting over the benefits the vaccinated should have vs the unvaccinated and the unvaccinated crying out that they are being discriminated against  :angel:

Melbourne endures world’s longest lockdown
September 23, 2021 - 06:09AM

Melbourne is today in its 235th day of shutdown since the pandemic began – officially making it the city to have endured the world’s longest lockdown.

If the city re-opens on October 26th at 70 per cent fully vaccinated coverage as forecast, it will mean Melbourne’s lockdown will be 267 days total.

That will see it surpass the lockdown lengths endured by other cities: Buenos Aires by 22 days, Dublin by 40 days and London by 60 days.

Sydney’s lockdown in contrast is 100 days shorter than Melbourne’s based on its planned October 18th reopening but restriction relief there could come one week earlier based on the current New South Wales rollout pace.

https://www.skynews.com.au/australia-news/coronavirus/melbourne-endures-worlds-longest-lockdown/video/a441003cbf6aa05d1935087f680e7123
It doesn't feel that long because compliance has plummeted.
2021 Minnesota Timberwolves:
PG: Trae Young / Jamal Murray / Jordan Clarkson
SG: Bradley Beal / Terry Rozier
SF: Bogdan Bogdanovic / Will Barton / Saddiq Bey
PF: Harrison Barnes / Aaron Gordon
C: Joel Embiid / John Collins / Mason Plumlee

« Reply #6227 on: September 26, 2021, 05:24:54 PM »

Offline gouki88

• Global Moderator
  • Sam Jones
What’s going on in Australia is tyrannical
Do you mean the arresting of neo-nazi scum who urinated on our Shrine of Remembrance?

« Reply #6228 on: September 26, 2021, 06:47:32 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1981
I'm not sure why non-Australian posters are invested in the lockdown decisions made in the various states in Australia.  IMO every sovereign state makes their decisions based on factors unique to their form of government and the values of their populace.  And every decision provides data for the world as we consider future responses to pandemics.

« Reply #6229 on: September 26, 2021, 06:51:28 PM »

Offline gouki88

• Global Moderator
  • Sam Jones
I'm not sure why non-Australian posters are invested in the lockdown decisions made in the various states in Australia.  IMO every sovereign state makes their decisions based on factors unique to their form of government and the values of their populace.  And every decision provides data for the world as we consider future responses to pandemics.
JSD is concerned because Tucker Carlson told him to be

« Reply #6230 on: September 27, 2021, 08:50:07 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -26844
  • Once A CrotoNat, Always A CrotoNat

I think to some extent your last sentence contradicts your first. I think that people will naturally observe other countries and will make a determination on whether they are handling their lockdowns in the “right” or “wrong” way. 

By way of example, assume somebody is anti-death penalty. To me, it makes sense that they would look at other states and countries to support (or challenge) their own viewpoint.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6231 on: September 27, 2021, 09:10:34 AM »

Online MarcusSmartFanClub

• Robert Williams
  • Tommy Points: 14

I think to some extent your last sentence contradicts your first. I think that people will naturally observe other countries and will make a determination on whether they are handling their lockdowns in the “right” or “wrong” way. 

By way of example, assume somebody is anti-death penalty. To me, it makes sense that they would look at other states and countries to support (or challenge) their own viewpoint.

I definitely agree Roy.

I also agree with Neurotic Guy. Australia is taking this issue seriously (and many in this country clearly are not). I don't think that we should be looking at them as the wrongdoers.

I don't understand why this is controversial. The U.S. has lost way more people than necessary. One of my friends died of this, and he was healthy without any underlying issues. Maybe more previously healthy people need to die before others will consider this to be a serious issue.

What is the number that will convince the deniers that this is not a liberal hoax? 10 million American deaths? 50 million?

« Reply #6232 on: September 27, 2021, 09:24:57 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 40
What is the number that will convince the deniers that this is not a liberal hoax? 10 million American deaths? 50 million?

I'm not sure you can make the presumption of a tipping point like this.  You see this a lot in the research and discussion into conspiracy theories, for ex, here's a light one:
The Psychology of Conspiracy Theories, 2017
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/0963721417718261
[C]conspiracy theories appear to provide broad, internally consistent  explanations  that  allow  people  to  preserve beliefs  in  the  face  of  uncertainty  and  contradiction.  In  keeping with this analysis, research suggests that belief  in conspiracy theories is stronger when the motivation to  find  patterns  in  the  environment  is  experimentally   heightened (Whitson & Galinsky, 2008). It is also stronger among people who habitually seek meaning and patterns  in  the  environment,  including  believers  in  paranormal  phenomena (e.g., Bruder, Haffke, Neave, Nouripanah, & Imhoff, 2013; but see Dieguez, Wagner-Egger, & Gauvrit, 2015).  It  also  appears  to  be  stronger  when  events  are  especially large in scale or significant and leave people  dissatisfied  with  mundane,  small-scale  explanations  (Leman  &  Cinnirella,  2013).  Furthermore,  the  need  for cognitive closure is associated with beliefs in salient conspiracy theories for events that lack clear official explanations (Marchlewska, Cichocka, & Kossowska, 2017). Also, research suggests that conspiracy belief is stronger when people experience distress as a result of feeling uncertain (van Prooijen & Jostmann, 2013).

[Transition paragraph excised for the sake of Celtics blog readers :) ]

The  epistemic  drawbacks  of  conspiracy  theories  do  not  seem  to  be readily apparent to people who lack the ability or motivation  to  think  critically  and  rationally.  Conspiracy  belief is correlated with lower levels of analytic thinking (Swami, Voracek, Stieger, Tran, & Furnham, 2014) and lower  levels  of  education  (Douglas,  Sutton,  Callan,  Dawtry, & Harvey, 2016). It is also associated with the tendency to overestimate the likelihood of co-occurring events (Brotherton & French, 2014) and the tendency to perceive agency and intentionality where it does not exist (Douglas et al., 2016).

Excuse the extra spaces in formatting: it's pasted from a PDF.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #6233 on: September 27, 2021, 09:34:15 AM »

Offline gift

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 258

I definitely agree Roy.

I also agree with Neurotic Guy. Australia is taking this issue seriously (and many in this country clearly are not). I don't think that we should be looking at them as the wrongdoers.

I don't understand why this is controversial. The U.S. has lost way more people than necessary. One of my friends died of this, and he was healthy without any underlying issues. Maybe more previously healthy people need to die before others will consider this to be a serious issue.

Well, the US doesn't have enough people to lose 50 million (and maybe not 10 million) to COVID, so it would surely happen at a lower number if at all.

« Reply #6234 on: September 27, 2021, 09:37:45 AM »

• Robert Williams

I definitely agree Roy.

Well, the US doesn't have enough people to lose 50 million (and maybe not 10 million) to COVID, so it would surely happen at a lower number if at all.

What threshold would need to be crossed before deniers take it seriously?

Are there some people that would lose their own family members and still downplay the risks of transmission?

« Reply #6235 on: September 27, 2021, 09:46:13 AM »

Offline gift

• Ray Allen

I definitely agree Roy.

Are there some people that would lose their own family members and still downplay the risks of transmission?

Not all deniers are the same, I guess. Are there really a lot of deniers out there though?

« Reply #6236 on: September 27, 2021, 09:47:06 AM »

• Robert Williams

I definitely agree Roy.

Not all deniers are the same, I guess. Are there really a lot of deniers out there though?

Yes.

« Reply #6237 on: September 27, 2021, 11:27:47 AM »

Online nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8405
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I definitely agree Roy.

Do you live in the south? If you did, you might not be asking this question.

« Reply #6238 on: September 27, 2021, 12:33:27 PM »

Offline gift

• Ray Allen

I definitely agree Roy.

Do you live in the south? If you did, you might not be asking this question.

No, I don't live in the south. Would you say this has largely been a pandemic of the south, given all the COVID deniers there?

« Reply #6239 on: September 27, 2021, 01:09:49 PM »

Online mobilija

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 315