Author Topic: Red Sox Trade Betts + Price To The Dodgers  (Read 45166 times)

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Screw Red Sox management. 

That's it.  Plain & simple.

Bloom is doing what he was hired to do. Red Sox ownership is an incompetent disgrace.

Good thing that cash strapped bunch did this move after they got those season ticket payments.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587

Bloom is doing what he was hired to do. Red Sox ownership is an incompetent disgrace.

Good thing that cash strapped bunch did this move after they got those season ticket payments.

Exactly. I won’t be paying for Sox tickets for the foreseeable future.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
What a strange saga, especially given that they're openly calling it a cost cutting move that's been telegraphed for MONTHS.

As if the Red Sox don't print money. Baseball sucks.

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
What a strange saga, especially given that they're openly calling it a cost cutting move that's been telegraphed for MONTHS.

They threw a freakin' parade for Moving Day the other day! 

This ownership group is tone deaf.  They'll also probably be dropping Mookie hit pieces in the Globe within a week then do another hachet job of the Pats to distract from this.    These are horrible people.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

They threw a freakin' parade for Moving Day the other day! 

This ownership group is tone deaf.  They'll also probably be dropping Mookie hit pieces in the Globe within a week then do another hachet job of the Pats to distract from this.    These are horrible people.
I'm mad about this and I'm primarily a Cubs fan. The Bryant stuff I kinda get because he's been hurt, but Mookie's been healthy! So why freaking trade him?

This is some Pittsburgh Pirates BS, not something a tent pole franchise with huge resources should be doing.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Screw the Sox. Cheaters and cheapskates.

I’m rooting for the Dodgers this year.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Maaaaaan. C'mon, Roy.  ;D
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Exactly. I won’t be paying for Sox tickets for the foreseeable future.
I go to 5-6 games a year and usually shell out decent money for good seats. All toll that's at least a grand when you consider the beer and food I buy. Might not seem like much but if more and more people do this, season ticket renewal people too, maybe they will.....

Awww who am I kidding? The Sox will just get some other yahoos to buy those tickets, hot dogs and beers. But I am still boycotting them, they can't have my money or support for quite some time.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

did you turn on the sox when nomar was sent packing?

i root for the sox, first, last, and forever. a sox team with mookie would be more fun to root for, but they are still the sox so i follow them. i will miss mookie, but at least the sox will still score a lot of runs and be in play for the wild card....which would have been their hope even with mookie on the team.

mookie was pretty much gone after next season. so, to get two young players with high upside is better than a mediocre draft pick. mookie would want close to trout money, which would really harm the ability to keep a good team around him because of cost.

and, there is no guarantee mookie would have come back to boston as other bidders would have entered the fray.

no mlb team constantly lives above the luxury tax. you can say a lot of things about Henry, but one thing he isn’t is cheap. he has invested in this team. every big market team that has gone above the tax limit has gone below it to reset and then spent again. i expect that the sox will as well.

graterol will probably immediately become the #1 pitching prospect in the sox minor league system. he throws around 99-100 mph and has a great sider. he is clearly one of the top 50 minor league prospects out there.

verdugo is very young as well and if his back injury is in the past you can expect something such as JBJ with a good batting average.

neither is mookie, even combined. but either and certainly both are better than a middling draft pick or a financially crippling contract.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 02:24:40 PM by hwangjini_1 »
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Man its really weird to have fans buy into the idea that the mega rich owners need to cut salary to avoid luxury tax payments rather than try to win. Even buying into the idea he was never coming back, then you keep him and contend this year and trade him at the deadline if you are out of it. Try to win!

Red Sox re-branding to the Pirates operational model, profits > winning.

What is the point of sports if your team doesn't even want the second best player in baseball on its team for fear of not raking in quite as much profit.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

did you turn on the sox when nomar was sent packing?

i root for the sox, first, last, and forever. a sox team with mookie would be more fun to root for, but they are still the sox so i follow them. i will miss mookie, but at least the sox will still score a lot of runs and be in play for the wild card....which would have been their hope even with mookie on the team.

mookie was pretty much gone after next season. so, to get two young players with high upside is better than a mediocre draft pick. mookie would want close to trout money, which would really harm the ability to keep a good team around him because of cost.

and, there is no guarantee mookie would have come back to boston as other bidders would have entered the fray.

no mlb team constantly lives above the luxury tax. you can say a lot of things about Henry, but one thing he isn’t is cheap. he has invested in this team. every big market team that has gone above the tax limit has gone below it to reset and then spent again. i expect that the sox will as well.

graterol will probably immediately become the #1 pitching prospect in the sox minor league system. he throws around 99-100 mph and has a great sider. he is clearly one of the top 50 minor league prospects out there.

verdugo is very young as well and if his back injury is in the past you can expect something such as JBJ with a good batting average.

neither is mookie, even combined. but either and certainly both are better than a middling draft pick or a financially crippling contract.

TP to this. I am not exactly psyched about the trade, but understand the idea of resetting and starting fresh. I like Mookie, but do consider him a little overrated and just don't think a Mike Trout contract is reasonable at all for him. No way do I consider him a top 5 player in baseball. And even though he doesn't play D, I personally even prefer JD Martinez.

The Sox have won 4 World Series' since 2004; it's not like the ownership group has been stingy and there have been times when we've traded away big salaries and got the farm system back up and running. If we had lost a close series in the playoffs last year, it would be one thing, but we were pretty much trash last season - even with Mookie putting up solid numbers.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Whelp I guess a lot of Red Sox fans are "process" fans.  :o

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Whelp I guess a lot of Red Sox fans are "process" fans.  :o
The Sixers at least got quality assets for their players when they went into tank mode.  The Sox got raked over the coals in that trade.  They needed to pick up several A+ level prospects and they got 2 players, neither of which is an A+ prospect.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip