Author Topic: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)  (Read 238635 times)

Re: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)
« Reply #1905 on: February 20, 2020, 03:45:04 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
So what happens when he comes back, after the obligatory few shifts when he first returns?

This year, the Theis/Enes Kanter rotation has worked nicely, and I'm not sure it will help those guys to give up 6-8 minutes each for the rest of the year.
I think he'll get quite a few DNPs, but he'll also come in handy a bunch when Theis and/or Kanter suffer a knock. Those 6MPG that Poirier has played will disappear thankfully, and I think 4 minutes from both Theis and Kanter can go to Rob. That brings him back to the 14MPG he was averaging pre-injury. He'll also allow us to not have to play Grant in some matchups, which is good. I love Grant, but he isn't really a 5 at all.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1906 on: February 20, 2020, 06:39:31 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
So what happens when he comes back, after the obligatory few shifts when he first returns?

This year, the Theis/Enes Kanter rotation has worked nicely, and I'm not sure it will help those guys to give up 6-8 minutes each for the rest of the year.

He probably averages 10 mins a game. The occasional "rest/load management/cautious about an injury" off day for Kanter and Theis will give him some burn.

And I bet he takes like half of Grant's minutes.

I highly doubt this.  Robert may be longer and more athletic, but being in the right place and making the right decision is more important at this stage of the season.  Grant was already ahead in that department three months ago, and he’s not going to fall behind in the final stretch/playoffs.

« Reply #1907 on: February 20, 2020, 07:48:47 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

He probably averages 10 mins a game. The occasional "rest/load management/cautious about an injury" off day for Kanter and Theis will give him some burn.

I highly doubt this.  Robert may be longer and more athletic, but being in the right place and making the right decision is more important at this stage of the season.  Grant was already ahead in that department three months ago, and he’s not going to fall behind in the final stretch/playoffs.
Agreed.  I see Robert not getting much PT.  Grant pretty much does everything better.

« Reply #1908 on: February 20, 2020, 08:53:27 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Agreed.  I see Robert not getting much PT.  Grant pretty much does everything better.

Wow, huge undersell from you guys.  DNPs and only 10 min?  Grant is a nice story, but his lack of length has hurt us at times. (Le'ts see what happens vs Lakers game).  RW3 was getting very good minutes before he got hurt, so if he is now healthy why on earth would Brad change his mind and bench him? Makes no sense.

« Reply #1909 on: February 20, 2020, 09:03:08 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

Wow, huge undersell from you guys.  DNPs and only 10 min?  Grant is a nice story, but his lack of length has hurt us at times. (Le'ts see what happens vs Lakers game).  RW3 was getting very good minutes before he got hurt, so if he is now healthy why on earth would Brad change his mind and bench him? Makes no sense.
Not really underselling at all. When he was healthy, he got less than 15 minutes a game. It's not unlikely that Brad would gradually integrate him back into the lineup. Grant has been playing well for us, so it makes no sense to yank him out of the lineup for a rusty Timelord who hasn't played an NBA game in several months.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #1910 on: February 20, 2020, 10:23:49 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Not really underselling at all. When he was healthy, he got less than 15 minutes a game. It's not unlikely that Brad would gradually integrate him back into the lineup. Grant has been playing well for us, so it makes no sense to yank him out of the lineup for a rusty Timelord who hasn't played an NBA game in several months.
agreed, and to add to that, it's not like Timelord was setting the league on fire before going out with injury.  sure, he made some nice dunks off lobs and some pretty blocks but his overall team D was still pretty bad and his offense is pretty limited to dunks and some decent passing.  GWill has excelled in all those areas where Timelord has not.

« Reply #1911 on: February 20, 2020, 10:52:14 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

agreed, and to add to that, it's not like Timelord was setting the league on fire before going out with injury.  sure, he made some nice dunks off lobs and some pretty blocks but his overall team D was still pretty bad and his offense is pretty limited to dunks and some decent passing.  GWill has excelled in all those areas where Timelord has not.

They need to make a judgment about how much he can learn this year. His ceiling is obviously much different than Grant’s, and if he can correct the focus/mental errors it is much higher. It may be that he’s lost too much time to make it this year, but I’m still a little hopeful.

« Reply #1912 on: February 20, 2020, 11:14:50 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
It makes all the sense in the world to give Timelord run. Theis can't play the whole game due to both fatigue and his propensity to foul. Some match ups Kanter is unplayable (and his hip issue could linger as well). Its important to find out if Timelord can be an option to provide some size at the C position in those situations.

« Reply #1913 on: February 20, 2020, 11:17:31 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Grant Williams already has his minutes jerked around plenty. Its not like Stevens is messing up some set in stone rotation by playing Robert Williams once he's back in March.

Plenty of games where Grant get 5-10 minutes due to match up issues or poor play.

« Reply #1914 on: February 20, 2020, 12:12:34 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Theis and Kanter's minutes increased when Robert went out, obviously.  Theis is about 23 per game, Kanter about 18 per game.   Williams was about 15 per game before he went out. I would expect him to get about that many, and Theis and Kanter minutes will go down accordingly. I expect Williams to play as many minutes as Kanter once he is given green light. 

« Reply #1915 on: February 20, 2020, 12:32:15 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
I have always had concerns for young bigs with other worldly athleticism playing against grown men.This break might have been a blessing in disguise. Breaking the season into two parts.
He is coming back after watching for a couple months and seems excited and has been missing playing with his teammates.
And 20 games seems about right to get into playoff shape. He looks very healthy at the moment.

« Reply #1916 on: February 20, 2020, 02:36:24 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Time Lord is ready to reemerge from another dimension , and carry the Celtics to the promised land .  :)

« Reply #1917 on: February 20, 2020, 03:03:28 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
You all realize that despite being in his rookie year that Grant has played about 50% more total minutes in his career than Rob in his own career, over two seasons?  Rob is going to be too far behind the curve to have impact outside of specific matchups that he’s most suited to, if any exist.  I’m sure they’ll get him out there some games, especially on one night of a back to back, just to soak up some minutes down the final stretch of the season.  But barring an injury to someone ahead of him, his role will not be high-leverage.

« Reply #1918 on: February 20, 2020, 03:07:15 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
You all realize that despite being in his rookie year that Grant has played about 50% more total minutes in his career than Rob in his own career, over two seasons?  Rob is going to be too far behind the curve to have impact outside of specific matchups that he’s most suited to, if any exist.  I’m sure they’ll get him out there some games, especially on one night of a back to back, just to soak up some minutes down the final stretch of the season.  But barring an injury to someone ahead of him, his role will not be high-leverage.

This is a valid point. I generally agree.

I think situational matchups are a big deal though. CBS always seems to have one guy that he uses against some teams because he likes the matchup. I think of Rozier his second year in the playoffs, or Ojeleye his second year against Giannis.

Williams is one of the most physically gifted athletes in the league. There is no doubt that he still struggles with defensive rotations, but I think he can be used, especially on ball or switching onto guards.

« Reply #1919 on: February 20, 2020, 03:12:32 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Let's see what he looks like he can do physically before slotting him into any minutes defined role. Coming back from injury isn't always a seemless endeavor