Author Topic: [Love] Love returning to Cleveland.  (Read 7979 times)

Re: [Love] Love returning to Cleveland.
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2015, 02:48:13 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
The East is theirs for the foreseeable future... :-[

Love is starting to have the injury prone label, and Kyrie hasn't been a picture of health. Fully healthy they will be the best team on paper in the East. However, I don't really think they are better than the Heat Teams that had a younger Lebron, Wade, Bosh with Allen and others forming a solid bench. Plus nothing ever works out for Cleveland.

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2015, 02:48:25 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
Dumb decision. Left money on the table by taking a 5 year deal instead of a 1-2 year deal. Accepted being turned into a role player instead of an All-Star.

He could have competed for a Championship elsewhere. This is pathetic.

So now, in addition to vilifying guys for being all about the money and not prioritizing winning, we're going to vilify guys for prioritizing winning and not being all about the money?

I think it's fair to question a guy for being content to waste his talent as a role player on a stacked team.  Love apparently has no interest in being a top option again like he was in Minnesota, instead happy to just be a spot up shooter and occasional inside scorer next to LeBron and Kyrie.

He is 26 years old. He shouldn't be accepting a role player's job. The guy twice averaged 26ppg along with 12.5-13.3rpg. He is the 2nd most skilled big man in the league (for my money) behind Dirk Nowitzki.

And he is staying on this team ... to be demeaned and treated as if he is nothing more than a Ryan Anderson level role player.

What a waste of talent.

I want to see the best players in the league play.

Not waste their prime locked up in a straight jacket.

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2015, 02:48:56 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
If by media driven, you mean the media observed that Love was obviously unhappy in Cleveland and with his role on the team, then yes.

No, I quite clearly meant what I actually said, not what you're choosing to interpret my words as.

Dumb decision. Left money on the table by taking a 5 year deal instead of a 1-2 year deal. Accepted being turned into a role player instead of an All-Star.

So now, in addition to vilifying guys for being all about the money and not prioritizing winning, we're going to vilify guys for prioritizing winning and not being all about the money?

I think it's fair to question a guy for being content to waste his talent as a role player on a stacked team.  Love apparently has no interest in being a top option again like he was in Minnesota, instead happy to just be a spot up shooter and occasional inside scorer next to LeBron and Kyrie.

So what happened to "winning takes sacrifice and players who aren't willing to do that are selfish and only focused on personal accolades"?

I don't see how you can have it both ways. We kill guys like Melo for taking the money and getting their numbers, but then we turn around and kill guys for Love for settling in the name of winning.

People complain for the sake of complaining.

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2015, 02:49:09 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3062
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Yea this sucks
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2015, 02:50:20 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

If Kevin Love is happy winning titles and being Chris Bosh, I don't think too many people will criticize him for that.  If he starts whining about his role or about not getting attention or about not being considered one of the top players in the league, THAT'S when he'll get slammed.

Mike

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2015, 02:51:36 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!

You only want to win if you want to sign with the Celtics, don't you know?

That Cleveland team is likely going right back to the finals next year. No, he won't be a top option but he'll likely get a ring or two. Though it's funny no one is complaining about Lamarcus Aldridge possibly going to San Antonio.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2015, 02:53:16 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

If Kevin Love is happy winning titles and being Chris Bosh, I don't think too many people will criticize him for that.  If he starts whining about his role or about not getting attention or about not being considered one of the top players in the league, THAT'S when he'll get slammed.

Mike

I agree. The issue is that, outside of the time he said that he's not a stretch 4, ALL of these reports were of the "sources say..." variety. That is, Love himself wasn't going public with any acrimony towards Cleveland -- but the media sure wanted us to believe that was the case.

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2015, 02:53:41 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

So what happened to "winning takes sacrifice and players who aren't willing to do that are selfish and only focused on personal accolades"?

I don't see how you can have it both ways. We kill guys like Melo for taking the money, but then we turn around and kill guys for Love for settling in the name of winning.

I think we can find a balance, right?

I mean, would we applaud if all of the All-Stars in the East hit free agency at the same time and signed for the minimum to play with LeBron?

Somewhere there's a line where we want to see guys look for an opportunity that will allow them to win while also making the most of their talents.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2015, 02:54:24 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002

Hold up! We still got the Atlanta Hawks too!

Wait a sec...they got swept in the playoffs by a true championship-caliber team in the east, nevermind  :(

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2015, 02:55:38 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I don't see how you can have it both ways. We kill guys like Melo for taking the money and getting their numbers, but then we turn around and kill guys for Love for settling in the name of winning.

I don't want to speak for Who but for me there's a difference between criticizing a player personally - like calling him a loser or selfish or whatever - and being unhappy as a fan that a player chose to take a role far beneath his potential. 

I didn't care for Love much even when he was putting up monster #s in Minny but I can respect someone who appreciates his game more wanting to see his prime spent in as big a role as possible. 

It's also worth noting that just because some people criticize each kind of choice doesn't mean it's the same people criticizing both.

« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2015, 02:56:40 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
The question I have is will LeBron now sign a long deal, or just another one year deal.  Love's in it for the long haul -- is the King in it too?

If LeBron signs another 1-year deal, he'll be eligible for a $30 mil salary next year.  Love will be over $20 mil, and Thompson and Irving will be around $17 mil.  That's a whopping $84 million for four players.  The meme has been that next year every team will have cap room, but I know one that won't...

« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2015, 02:59:38 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
With cavs giving thompson 80 mil and re-signing Love.... do they intend to start both?   Crazy situation... Maybe they'll trade Love eventually.

« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2015, 03:00:15 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Love is signing for five years, $110 million. He's not leaving Cleveland anytime soon.

Hopefully this ends all Love speculation for quite some time. I don't know if this means he's learned to be happy not being "the man," but hopefully we also go a long time without hearing anything more about him being unhappy in Cleveland.

Also, I'm glad the Lakers won't be getting him (or Aldridge).  ;D
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2015, 03:03:17 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
Have fun being a glorified role player in the hell-hole that is Cleveland, KLove!

What a waste...

« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2015, 03:04:09 PM »

Offline zubi.anaba

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11
With cavs giving thompson 80 mil and re-signing Love.... do they intend to start both?   Crazy situation... Maybe they'll trade Love eventually.

Cavs have 3 legit allstars and adequate role players in Mozgov, Delly, TT, Jr, SHump,Andy. All they could use is another back up 1 and 3. They have ZERO reason to trade Klove