Author Topic: Final 20 min of New Orleans game  (Read 2451 times)

Final 20 min of New Orleans game
« on: February 22, 2021, 01:45:18 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Per Brian Robb

Celtics shot 29 percent from the field and 15 percent from 3-point range in the final 20 minutes of their loss to the Pelicans. Some offensive lowlights from that stretch:
Kemba: 1/9 FG (0/7 from 3)
Tatum: 3/11 FG
Theis: 0/4 FG

Can this be attributed to tired legs?

Lack of attainable cheap points? (Free throws, big man post scoring, elite passer)
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: Final 20 min of New Orleans game
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 01:59:48 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I definitely think there is something to the idea that the team isn't constructed to generate easy / low effort points. 

Getting to the line a lot can really help you out when your shots aren't falling.

Similarly, having a big guy to get easy buckets, especially against lesser bench units, can help conserve energy for crunch time, even if the big guy can't stay on the floor in crunch time (e.g. Kanter).
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 02:01:59 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Too much one on one crap.  It is boring, and doesn't work. There are rare moments where it is necessary.  This team in 4th quarters has become a total iso related offense.  It really is a drag, and is a major source of our poor rating at end of games.

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 02:13:57 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Kemba missed some great looks, in particular.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 02:49:43 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
At one point late in the fourth quarter, Doris Burke gave a stat, that the Celtics lost 9 straight games when they didn't make at least 12 3 pointers. I almost threw up when I heard that stat.

The idea of Stevens running a ball movement system is seemingly a myth this season. Far too often the ball sticks to either Brown or Tatum. They play like they don't trust their teammates. When that happens, it makes it that much harder for those teammates to have confidence in themselves.

As I mentioned in another thread, I would love to see Danny go after Demarcus Cousins, if he parts ways with the Rockets. It would seemingly just be a cash transaction, as apposed to trading assets for another player. We desperately need a big man of his ability to get easy points in the paint. He would also help develop an inside/outside game this team needs to help create easy 3 point looks.

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 02:50:04 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
This team is gassed. I don't think that's the only reason for the poor performance down the stretch of some of these games; the team being young and lacking veterans, and Kemba not being able to take over games any longer, are also factors. But the sheer number of games and the amount of travel, plus Tatum's lingering covid effects, have to be a factor.

It's a weird season and I think fans need to make their peace with it. The best thing Stevens can do is to rest the key players as much as possible in the regular season. Use Tatum's fatigue and Brown's knee tendonitis as excuses if you need to. Limp into the postseason slightly above .500 with guys hopefully fresh and un-injured.

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2021, 03:09:06 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
This team is gassed. I don't think that's the only reason for the poor performance down the stretch of some of these games; the team being young and lacking veterans, and Kemba not being able to take over games any longer, are also factors. But the sheer number of games and the amount of travel, plus Tatum's lingering covid effects, have to be a factor.

It's a weird season and I think fans need to make their peace with it. The best thing Stevens can do is to rest the key players as much as possible in the regular season. Use Tatum's fatigue and Brown's knee tendonitis as excuses if you need to. Limp into the postseason slightly above .500 with guys hopefully fresh and un-injured.

I have to keep reminding myself about Tatum and the potential Covid after-effects.  It's making me crazy that Tatum isn't in the game when the lead is slipping.  At 5:51 in the 4th the Celts were up 96-90.  Brad subs in Semi for Tatum.  At 4:10 Tatum returns with the lead evaporated and the game a 98-98 tie.
Yup

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2021, 03:28:02 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I think you're right and also it's a totally unsatisfying and frustrating reality that I don't want to accept.  LOL
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2021, 03:55:43 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 618
Kemba missed some great looks, in particular.

This

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2021, 03:56:17 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 618

And unfortunately...

This

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2021, 04:08:15 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

This cant be an excuse. Other teams are gassed also
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 07:18:13 AM by Tr1boy »

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2021, 07:07:40 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Here's the play by play on what happened, starting from 6:29 to go in the 3rd when Kardashian made his 2nd FT to give us a 24 pt lead and Nesmith came in for Tatum. 14 mins later, with 4:11 left in the 4th Ingram made a 3pt shot to tie the game, and on to the end of regulation.

Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2021, 09:15:39 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
On a sidenote:  Smoothie King Center is just a terrible name...
Yup

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2021, 09:44:23 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
When someone posted that Brad did not call a Timeout as the lead dwindled from 24 to 5 I found it difficult to believe but it appears to be the case from the play by play posted above.

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2021, 09:48:11 AM »

Online Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
The C's aren't the only team that are dependent on outside shooting.  It's a league wide issue:

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2021/2/12/22279459/nba-make-miss-3-point-shooting