Author Topic: Kings play by play announcer Grant Napear torches 'disgraceful' DeMarcus Cousins  (Read 23515 times)

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
This announcer is dead on

And the real dummy in all of this is the Kings organization for spoiling this brat and letting him get away with things.

Kings imo will trade cousins in the off season

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
serious question, does anyone know what Karl said to Cousins before the outburst that led to his suspension?  All I've seen reported was a heated confrontation with Cousins getting suspended a game, but I haven't seen what started the confrontation.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if Karl was the instigator and Cousins took it too far.  Seems like Karl's m.o. where Cousins is concerned.  Just wondering what really happened.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I'm trying to remember has Gormon ever went off on a player like this before? If he did, it'd be pretty danging.

I don't remember if he ever has come remotely close to going off like that on a player.   He did have a critical, disapproving tone regarding Marcus Smart during the vid replay of Marcus committing one of his technical fouls last week.  It was just a fleeting comment, but coming from Mike, it did feel like pretty strong stuff.  :D

Nothing like this rant here.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
I don't think this guy is very objective, to be honest. He went through an entire diatribe aimed at Cousins, but not once did he mention the incredibly dysfunctional environment he's been placed in or the lunacy that he's had to deal with from the owners' and management's intrusion into the basketball activities.

I mean, we're talking about an ownership and management team  who fired their coach, who was very close to their star player, due to a poor record when their star player had viral meningitis that kept him on the bench for the majority of the season thus far. We're also talking about an owner who legitimately wanted to implement a four-on-five defensive scheme for the Kings just to have a guy cherry-picking in the backcourt. It's like he played a rec-league game, saw that strategy work on a couple of occasions, and decided it would be a legitimate strategy for a team in the most elite basketball association in the world.

There are definitely risks with trading for him, but you absolutely cannot discuss Cousins' behavior without at least putting it into the context that is the absurd nature of Sacramento Kings' basketball. I truly think this last episode was the last straw with Cousins on the Kings, and he'll legitimately be traded this offseason. And I truly think if we do give him up without giving away a significant chunk of our core, he will come in, dominate the East, and we'll be the favorites to come out of the East, and that's without even entertaining the fact that he could also help draw in another star player in free agency.

That's what I've always said about DeMarcus. But to Grant's point, Collison, Gay, Casspi, etc. have been subject to that same dysfunction and they aren't acting like petulant children. DMC is. And DMC alone. Maybe it's past my bedtime  :) and I'm reading a bit too much into this, but I feel like this article has significantly changed the way I view this situation.

It's one thing dealing with it for 2 seasons.  It's another thing dealing with it for 6 years and your entire career.
yet, according to the article, didnt cousins arrive in the nba with a poor attitude? his behavior is not something that suddenly appeared after 4, 5, or 6 years is it? in cousins, i see a person who has a real personality problem. i have doubts as to whether he would dramatically change his behavior were he on a different team. on a winning team this sort of thing might be tolerated or over looked, but it would be there still.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Not that I don't believe it, but is there a link to this so I could post this to a Facebook friend who's a Kings fan?

I mean, he probably heard this already, but I would like to post this to him.

Wow. Just... Wow!
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
This guy used the words "consummate professional" to describe Rondo, so I'm not sure I can take him too seriously.

Rondo is not acting up this year.

Aside from making headlines for getting suspended for gay-bashing a ref..

LOL - ultimate poor choice of words.

If Rondo had called Kennedy any of a zillion other insults that could have been 10 times more disparaging, so long as they weren't construable as homophobic, that incident probably would have flown completely under the radar.

He could have called Kennedy a dumb, s-eating a-word who was the stupidest, most incompetent ref in the NBA and all it would have rated was a technical foul and a bunch of other people (of all sexual persuasions) nodding in agreement (regarding the description of Kennedy).

But because of the word he chose, it was a national news event.

Alas ... poor choices made in the heat of the moment.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
All you DMC apologists are forgetting one simple fact. Grant Napear has access to locker room happenings, practice happenings, on flight happenings, on the court conversations and incidences and conversations that never make it into the media. He has seen blow ups and further disrespectful actions on the part of Cousins that you know nothing of. He has had interactions and conversations with all of DMC's coaches and team mates that you don't. He has spoken with and knows Demarcus and so knows the man behind the player that none of you get to see or experience.

Simply put his opinion is extremely relevant. The opinions of beat writers and others around the team that are calling for Cousins to go also are relevant. All you see is what is reported in the media and what you see when Cousins plays. There is more to this situation than that and you are all blissfully sticking your heads in the sand ignoring this information that people are coming out and providing.

Irving Fryar had amazing football talent but was always a loser and a locker room problem. Adrian Dantley had amazing basketball talent but was always a loser and a locker room cancer. Professional sports is littered with guys throughout history that had All-Workd talent but could never be a winner because their own attitudes and personalities got in the way of it happening.

Has DMC been in a bad situation? Sure. But there is a mature and professional way of handling those bad situations and DMC has decided instead to be an immature, spoiled, entitled baby about things and made his team worse. There's no excuse for that. That's all on him.

And let's remember, DMC was a problem child at Kentucky also so the change of scenery from Kentucky to Sactown didn't change him. he has acted the same under different ownerships and different coaches and different organizations. I can't see him changing because he gets traded this off season.

Maybe its time some of you re-evaluate your opinions. You don't have the facts, the personal experience, or the knowledge of events that many of these people who are coming out against DMC have. perhaps instead of just obligatorily shooting down these calls against Cousins, you should listen to them some more and take them into consideration because they certainly know more about the man and what's happening behind the scenes than you do.

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
serious question, does anyone know what Karl said to Cousins before the outburst that led to his suspension?  All I've seen reported was a heated confrontation with Cousins getting suspended a game, but I haven't seen what started the confrontation.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if Karl was the instigator and Cousins took it too far.  Seems like Karl's m.o. where Cousins is concerned.  Just wondering what really happened.

All I remember is that he said that no one is untradeable when a reporter (referring to Cousins obviously) asked if anyone was untouchable in a trade or something
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Cousins is prob asking someone to get Napear fired right about now

All joking aside,  napear points are dead on.    Cousins has been surrounded by x,y,z players. All who have done well with other org

He has been through 4-5 coaches

Eventually you have to say enough and realize the problem is this child in a man's body

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
All you DMC apologists are forgetting one simple fact. Grant Napear has access to locker room happenings, practice happenings, on flight happenings, on the court conversations and incidences and conversations that never make it into the media. He has seen blow ups and further disrespectful actions on the part of Cousins that you know nothing of. He has had interactions and conversations with all of DMC's coaches and team mates that you don't. He has spoken with and knows Demarcus and so knows the man behind the player that none of you get to see or experience.

Simply put his opinion is extremely relevant. The opinions of beat writers and others around the team that are calling for Cousins to go also are relevant. All you see is what is reported in the media and what you see when Cousins plays. There is more to this situation than that and you are all blissfully sticking your heads in the sand ignoring this information that people are coming out and providing.

Irving Fryar had amazing football talent but was always a loser and a locker room problem. Adrian Dantley had amazing basketball talent but was always a loser and a locker room cancer. Professional sports is littered with guys throughout history that had All-Workd talent but could never be a winner because their own attitudes and personalities got in the way of it happening.

Has DMC been in a bad situation? Sure. But there is a mature and professional way of handling those bad situations and DMC has decided instead to be an immature, spoiled, entitled baby about things and made his team worse. There's no excuse for that. That's all on him.

And let's remember, DMC was a problem child at Kentucky also so the change of scenery from Kentucky to Sactown didn't change him. he has acted the same under different ownerships and different coaches and different organizations. I can't see him changing because he gets traded this off season.

Maybe its time some of you re-evaluate your opinions. You don't have the facts, the personal experience, or the knowledge of events that many of these people who are coming out against DMC have. perhaps instead of just obligatorily shooting down these calls against Cousins, you should listen to them some more and take them into consideration because they certainly know more about the man and what's happening behind the scenes than you do.

Well said, TP.

What gives this guy the right to act like this?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666
I'm trying to remember has Gormon ever went off on a player like this before? If he did, it'd be pretty danging.

I don't remember if he ever has come remotely close to going off like that on a player.   He did have a critical, disapproving tone regarding Marcus Smart during the vid replay of Marcus committing one of his technical fouls last week.  It was just a fleeting comment, but coming from Mike, it did feel like pretty strong stuff.  :D

The only thing I remember from Gorman like this was in reference to Carmelo in his Denver days.  The line was something like "Wouldn't give you a bag of balls for Carmelo."  I'll always remember that because it's so uncharacteristic for Mike.

Regarding Cousins, I'm under no illusion that he's blameless in this whole mess.  But I also believe the Kings' organization is comically inept.  I believe the Celtics' organization has a better front office and coaching staff, and also has better leadership on the team itself.  I believe Cousins is worth taking a chance on.  I am not sure of this by any means... it's merely my opinion.  I base this heavily on the success of Paul Pierce, whose reputation wasn't much better prior to the arrival of KG and Ray.  It's funny how all of these problems magically go away when you start winning.

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
He's great!

He's awful!

He's wonderful!

He's toxic!

I am so confused!!   :o

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Well said, TP.

What gives this guy the right to act like this?
TP from me too.  Great post.

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

The only thing I remember from Gorman like this was in reference to Carmelo in his Denver days.  The line was something like "Wouldn't give you a bag of balls for Carmelo."  I'll always remember that because it's so uncharacteristic for Mike.

One of the best things about Mike is he's so positive and laidback that when he's critical of a guy it really gets your attention. 

I think that the Kings are clearly a hot mess of an organization, but Cousins equally clearly has some major attitude problems.  The Kings dysfunction absolutely doesn't help, but Cousins acted the same way at Kentucky too.  We don't know how much better he'd be in a better organization, but it's very fair to expect at least some of the same problems there.

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Well maybe you missed what Gormsn thinks about Cousins

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/gorman-demarcus-cousins-game-mexico-city-solidified-you-do-not-want-him-celtics

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/gorman-cousins-not-sure-you-want-do-brad-stevens-0

Watching Kings games Napear has long been a Cousins apologist, but it's apparent he's grown tired of all his childish antics.