Author Topic: Kings play by play announcer Grant Napear torches 'disgraceful' DeMarcus Cousins  (Read 23574 times)

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Better hope the Lakers have a winning team around him if Cousins gets traded there.  ;)

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
DeMarcus Cousins is the easiest target here, and I'm not excusing his behavior.

But I'd like to see Ol' Grant hurl some of this invective towards the leadership of the Kings, though.

He'd probably lose his job.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I don't think this guy is very objective, to be honest. He went through an entire diatribe aimed at Cousins, but not once did he mention the incredibly dysfunctional environment he's been placed in or the lunacy that he's had to deal with from the owners' and management's intrusion into the basketball activities.

I mean, we're talking about an ownership and management team  who fired their coach, who was very close to their star player, due to a poor record when their star player had viral meningitis that kept him on the bench for the majority of the season thus far. We're also talking about an owner who legitimately wanted to implement a four-on-five defensive scheme for the Kings just to have a guy cherry-picking in the backcourt. It's like he played a rec-league game, saw that strategy work on a couple of occasions, and decided it would be a legitimate strategy for a team in the most elite basketball association in the world.

There are definitely risks with trading for him, but you absolutely cannot discuss Cousins' behavior without at least putting it into the context that is the absurd nature of Sacramento Kings' basketball. I truly think this last episode was the last straw with Cousins on the Kings, and he'll legitimately be traded this offseason. And I truly think if we do give him up without giving away a significant chunk of our core, he will come in, dominate the East, and we'll be the favorites to come out of the East, and that's without even entertaining the fact that he could also help draw in another star player in free agency.
he did mention, via context, that the situation is the same for all the kings players. but only cousins has handled it the way he did. he also mentioned that if the kings were winning, then such behavior might be tolerated.

so, i see your point, but i think the author handled it at least obliquely.

Yeah, but it's not the same.  When the Kings don't succeed, no one blames Omri Cassipi.  No one blamed Jason Thompson, or Carl Landry.  All eyes get turned to Cousins.  So yes, while they all suffer under the same lack of organization, Cousins is the only one expected to transcend the dysfunction.  It's the curse of his talent, and I'm not saying it's unfair.  But the rest of his teammates do not have the same experience, because no one expects much of them.  Darren Collison could get ejected from three games in a row this week and we'd forget about it next month.

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
This guy used the words "consummate professional" to describe Rondo, so I'm not sure I can take him too seriously.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

I mean, we're talking about an ownership and management team  who fired their coach, who was very close to their star player, due to a poor record when their star player had viral meningitis that kept him on the bench for the majority of the season thus far. We're also talking about an owner who legitimately wanted to implement a four-on-five defensive scheme for the Kings just to have a guy cherry-picking in the backcourt. It's like he played a rec-league game, saw that strategy work on a couple of occasions, and decided it would be a legitimate strategy for a team in the most elite basketball association in the world.

Is the owner the Indian guy that was featured on CBS 60  minutes for using some kind of mathematical algorithm to coach is young daughter's basketball team to success against better opposition?

Perhaps he felt he could replicate his 'genius' in the NBA.

I couldn't tell you about that, but his name is Vivek Ranadive, if I remember correctly. I do think he is of Indian ethnicity, though.

YEAH THATS the dude ... lol

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
This guy used the words "consummate professional" to describe Rondo, so I'm not sure I can take him too seriously.

Rondo is not acting up this year.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Aside from making headlines for getting suspended for gay-bashing a ref..

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932

That's a pretty low bar that you've set for Rondo when "not acting up this year" still includes being thrown out of a game and suspended for hurling homophobic slurs at a referee lol

EDIT: Haha saltlover beat me to it.

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo

That's a pretty low bar that you've set for Rondo when "not acting up this year" still includes being thrown out of a game and suspended for hurling homophobic slurs at a referee lol

EDIT: Haha saltlover beat me to it.

Other than that. Rondo has been fine overall this year.

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I don't think this guy is very objective, to be honest. He went through an entire diatribe aimed at Cousins, but not once did he mention the incredibly dysfunctional environment he's been placed in or the lunacy that he's had to deal with from the owners' and management's intrusion into the basketball activities.

There are definitely risks with trading for him, but you absolutely cannot discuss Cousins' behavior without at least putting it into the context that is the absurd nature of Sacramento Kings' basketball. I truly think this last episode was the last straw with Cousins on the Kings, and he'll legitimately be traded this offseason. And I truly think if we do give him up without giving away a significant chunk of our core, he will come in, dominate the East, and we'll be the favorites to come out of the East, and that's without even entertaining the fact that he could also help draw in another star player in free agency.

That's what I've always said about DeMarcus. But to Grant's point, Collison, Gay, Casspi, etc. have been subject to that same dysfunction and they aren't acting like petulant children. DMC is. And DMC alone. Maybe it's past my bedtime  :) and I'm reading a bit too much into this, but I feel like this article has significantly changed the way I view this situation.

It's one thing dealing with it for 2 seasons.  It's another thing dealing with it for 6 years and your entire career.

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Grant Napear knows a hell of a lot more about what goes on in that organization than any of us.
He said it perfectly:

DeMarcus Cousins sucks the wind out of everyone there. He's an embarrassment.
Are all those coaches just idiots/Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.bags or is there some other common denominator here with the initials DMC?
He said he's seen it since day one, since DeMarcus was drafted.

What gives him the right to behave like this and act this selfishly?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Better hope the Lakers have a winning team around him if Cousins gets traded there.  ;)
I kind of feel the same way. Lakers have the trade assets but they better off building around Russell, Randle and 2016 pick if they keep it. No way can they trade for Cousins and it be a good situation. Only way around it is if they have FA options like perhaps sign Rondo and Barnes to play with Cousins.

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
All you guys ever do is criticize players like Cousins or Love. I'm sorry, but the Kings franchise is literally one of the worst organizations I have ever had the chance to experience and watch... After their surge in the early 2000's, they literally have made the dumbest draft mistakes, and questionable moves regarding their front office.

Cousins has been temperamental, but that's just WHO he is. He's going to be in your face angry or in your face roaring with passion, which do you want? Obviously the latter, but do you know what it takes to get that? Wins. Competent front office. A decent honest to god reliable owner who has some IDEA what and how TO RUN any SPORTS professional ORGANIZATION!

The Kings are consistently a joke. You hire a coach in Karl, who already has made bad blood with their franchise player, who also runs a fast paced offense, and yet has many players who have never ever been able to coordinate that style of play, especially in DMC, who is their bonafide go to scorer.

Honestly, I'm not even going to answer or respond to anyone else's negative comments against Cousins, or anything that Gorman/play by play announcer on the Kings says; because at the end of the day, you cannot determine whether or not Cousins can be the foundation piece for a title contending team until he leaves the ****-hole that is the Kings.

Do I think Stevens can coral Cousins? **** yes. There is something about Brad Stevens, that tells me he is the ultimate coach in terms of being able to buy most players into their systems. As people have stated, Crawford, and Turner were all malcontent players that absolutely no one even WANTED. And they managed to set themselves up and get back on their feet, and impress their coach well enough for well deserved minutes.

I mean the Kings literally are a joke. If it wasn't for DMC, they wouldn't even have won anymore than twenty games.

If we get DMC, I have absolutely no doubt, we are the best team in the East.

Whiteside, Gortat, Turner, Horford, and any center in the East would get eaten alive... Turner couldn't stop DMC, and neither could Al Jefferson. In the highlights where he scored over 40+ pts, you see the players guarding him frustrated at how ineffective they were at stopping a player who literally could not be stopped.

Sometimes people hate on players, because they think they can believe what other people say, or what happens on the court. The way I see it? DMC needs guidance. I mean this guy literally and figuratively needs someone to guide him towards greatness. Hes a top 10 NBA talent who has been languishing in mediocrity, and stupidity that is the Kings for far too long.

#bringBoogietoBOS #2016offseasondream #durant/DMC #banner18
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Monkhouse, I agree that people write off his ability to be a true champion too easily, but the point is that he is still an undeniable risk and you will have to give up some serious assets to beat out other teams. At the moment the Cs package would have to include at least one Nets pick, maybe two, and two or three of: Smart, Bradley, IT, Crowder, Sully.

Would you do that?
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

That's what I've always said about DeMarcus. But to Grant's point, Collison, Gay, Casspi, etc. have been subject to that same dysfunction and they aren't acting like petulant children. DMC is. And DMC alone. Maybe it's past my bedtime  :) and I'm reading a bit too much into this, but I feel like this article has significantly changed the way I view this situation.

No, his teammates are just going through the motions and collecting a paycheck. Zero defense, zero effort. But that's because Cousins has "sucked the life out of the room".

The Kings outscore opponents with Cousins on the floor. They get destroyed when he sits. It's been that way for multiple seasons now. . It's hard to blame Cousins for all of the losing in those circumstances, since the team is winning when he's in the games.

But, hopefully this is the tried and true "turn on your superstar before trading him" approach, because DMC would look great in green.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes