Author Topic: WOJ BOMB, paul george and hayward!!!?  (Read 41258 times)

Re: WOJ BOMB, paul george and hayward!!!?
« Reply #135 on: June 27, 2017, 05:11:00 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
although as saltover explains..idk how this is feasible

It's close enough for Wyc to make up the difference.

You want a core of IT, Horford, George and Hayward for next year. Keep Tatum, Brown,
Smart, Rozier, Zizic plus filler.

Take it a year at a time.

« Reply #136 on: June 27, 2017, 05:12:32 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
If Boston can come out of this with Hayward AND PG (signed to an extension); keeping the 2018 Brooklyn pick and not giving up Brown or Tatum...then that would be an epic job by Danny Ainge.

And Wyc would be happy to eat some luxury tax with this team. He knows he's in the hunt with this team.

« Reply #137 on: June 27, 2017, 05:12:49 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Trading Horford solves all of the C's problems very easily and I would much rather do that than have an impossibly weak bench.

Except it doesn't. Trading Horford sends a signal to every FA out there that promises won't be kept by this team.

This isn't some malcontent (Lance Stephenson) or a minor FA or just a crumbling disaster of a team. Horford was the #2 FA last year and was brought in with a specific set of representations made to him as to the direction of the team and how he would be used. He didn't sign in Boston to be here one year. He didn't underplay what the Cs should have expected either - 15/7.5/3 with Atlanta and 14/7/5 with Boston last year (on fewer attempts). In short he held up his end of the bargain. Moving him says "we don't care that we lie" to every FA out there and there's not going to be anyone of note who signs with us if Horford is moved.

The only way Big Al gets moved is one of three ways:
1. He becomes a shell of himself during his last year
2. He decides he wants to be gone
3. He creates a major problem for the team in terms of attitude/locker room

That's it. That's what you basically guarantee when you sign one of these guys.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #138 on: June 27, 2017, 05:13:01 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Just looking at basketball...wouldn't a healthy Blake Griffin fit with PG and IT much better than Hayward.

BG gives you a legit PF to go with PG at SF...plus you have more minutes from Tatum at his natural position

« Reply #139 on: June 27, 2017, 05:13:10 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
It makes sense then why we are linked to signing foreign prospects like the 6'8 German center. We would fill the roster spots with cheap contracts

« Reply #140 on: June 27, 2017, 05:14:17 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
After seeing whom DA drafted after Tatum, it did not make ANY sense to me (except Semi). After seeing who we'll have to trade or renounce then it kind of makes more sense, especially the experience the 2nd rounders bring from college. It was all part of a master plan. Let's see what else Danny has up his sleeve. It's going to be growing pains for the bench. I hope Brad, if this FA signing AND trade for PG13 happen, doesn't wear out the first unit. Though, there should be plenty of blowouts so as long as the bench doesn't get blanked then starter minutes shouldn't become an issue.

Yep. With late seconds, Ainge wanted some experienced guys who could cheaply fill a role if called upon, not guys to keep for a decade.

It's also interesting that we're hearing the Celtics linked to European players in their mid-20s.  Again, cheap bench help who might be able to give you 5-10 minutes here and there.

« Reply #141 on: June 27, 2017, 05:14:43 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
although as saltover explains..idk how this is feasible

It's close enough for Wyc to make up the difference.

You want a core of IT, Horford, George and Hayward for next year. Keep Tatum, Brown,
Smart, Rozier, Zizic plus filler.

Take it a year at a time.

This young squad will dethrone LeBron James in the east. Book on it.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #142 on: June 27, 2017, 05:15:45 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
People with better memories can correct me, but I seem to recall the same hand-wringing over depth when we put together the KG/Pierce/Allen trio.

Let's include Rondo in the main group there, to make the analogy better since we would really have a "Big 4" of IT/George/Horford/Hayward.

Then you're looking at "depth" of:

Smart/Brown/Tatum/Zizic

vs.

Perk/TA/Powe/Davis

As I recall we signed Posey and House after the Big 3 arrived, and then Cassell and PJ Brown off waivers during the season.

I think the benches above are pretty comparable. We have more uncertainty because of Tatum and Zizic but the overall talent seems greater.

So could we pick up a couple of free agents along the lines of Posey, House, Cassell and Brown? I would think that with our thin roster, the answer would be yes, as there would be vets who realize they could pursue a ring and get enough minutes to land another good contract.

« Reply #143 on: June 27, 2017, 05:15:48 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Just looking at basketball...wouldn't a healthy Blake Griffin fit with PG and IT much better than Hayward.

BG gives you a legit PF to go with PG at SF...plus you have more minutes from Tatum at his natural position

Sure, but the most important word you said was "healthy." Also, I think Griffin is much less likely to leave LA than Hayward is Utah.

« Reply #144 on: June 27, 2017, 05:15:52 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Trading Horford solves all of the C's problems very easily and I would much rather do that than have an impossibly weak bench.

Except it doesn't. Trading Horford sends a signal to every FA out there that promises won't be kept by this team.

This isn't some malcontent (Lance Stephenson) or a minor FA or just a crumbling disaster of a team. Horford was the #2 FA last year and was brought in with a specific set of representations made to him as to the direction of the team and how he would be used. He didn't sign in Boston to be here one year. He didn't underplay what the Cs should have expected either - 15/7.5/3 with Atlanta and 14/7/5 with Boston last year (on fewer attempts). In short he held up his end of the bargain. Moving him says "we don't care that we lie" to every FA out there and there's not going to be anyone of note who signs with us if Horford is moved.

The only way Big Al gets moved is one of three ways:
1. He becomes a shell of himself during his last year
2. He decides he wants to be gone
3. He creates a major problem for the team in terms of attitude/locker room

That's it. That's what you basically guarantee when you sign one of these guys.

I bet $ Horford is going to be accompanying Danny, Brad and company on these visits to
Hayward and Griffin.

Al is going to be important relating to being a FA coming into Boston and falling in love with the city and fans.

« Reply #145 on: June 27, 2017, 05:16:10 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
We're gonna have a lot of wings if this happens. I'm assuming Jaylen and Jayson are off the table.

If it happens, and if getting George doesn't involve giving up Bradley or Smart, they'll be set everywhere except center.

They've got Zizic and Horford. Their small ball system is wing heavy. I think they'll have to give up Bradley and probably Crowder.

« Reply #146 on: June 27, 2017, 05:17:34 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
People with better memories can correct me, but I seem to recall the same hand-wringing over depth when we put together the KG/Pierce/Allen trio.

Let's include Rondo in the main group there, to make the analogy better since we would really have a "Big 4" of IT/George/Horford/Hayward.

Then you're looking at "depth" of:

Smart/Brown/Tatum/Zizic

vs.

Perk/TA/Powe/Davis

As I recall we signed Posey and House after the Big 3 arrived, and then Cassell and PJ Brown off waivers during the season.

I think the benches above are pretty comparable. We have more uncertainty because of Tatum and Zizic but the overall talent seems greater.

So could we pick up a couple of free agents along the lines of Posey, House, Cassell and Brown? I would think that with our thin roster, the answer would be yes, as there would be vets who realize they could pursue a ring and get enough minutes to land another good contract.

We could hopefully get one such free agent with the room exception.  But we're still probably the third choice behind Golden State and Cleveland for useful vets on minimum deals, both in July and during buyout season.

« Reply #147 on: June 27, 2017, 05:17:58 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1481
If Boston can come out of this with Hayward AND PG (signed to an extension); keeping the 2018 Brooklyn pick and not giving up Brown or Tatum...then that would be an epic job by Danny Ainge.

+1.  If we can get Hayward and PG and still have IT, Horford, Smart, Brown, Tatum, Zizic, and the MLE to bring in another point guard or big I will be happily astonished and excited.

« Reply #148 on: June 27, 2017, 05:17:58 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC

Sure, but the most important word you said was "healthy." Also, I think Griffin is much less likely to leave LA than Hayward is Utah.

I feel the opposite. I think Griffin wants out of LA. He knows that team is going nowhere. Hayward is on a younger team that he is a main player on. It is also a smaller community where the Jazz are the main attraction.

« Reply #149 on: June 27, 2017, 05:21:31 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
THE PAUL GEORGE TRADE IS DONE JUST WAITING ON HAYWARD

awaiting haywards commitment to Celtics:

The Boston Celtics are seeking a commitment from Gordon Hayward before they can finalize a trade for Paul George.

"The Celtics will need to maneuver their roster and unload salaries but they have contingencies in place.

If Boston can't secure a deal with Hayward, they could instead sign Blake Griffin and then trade for George."

Remember, Larry is a Celtic. McHale is a Celtic. Ainge is a Celtic. Need I say more?

And that works both ways. Bird will get the best deal from Ainge.