Author Topic: Best guard from 2012 draft?  (Read 7893 times)

Re: Best guard from 2012 draft?
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 12:39:05 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
Im gonna say rivers.  I think Lillard is a bust in the making.  He had the most highlights against unathletic white guys I have ever seen.  The NBA game will be a significant transition for him coming from such a weak conference.

you are so wrong. He destroyed all his fellow rookies in  summerleague, clearly mvp.

Hes mature, hard working, freakishly talented, and the league was customized to make players like him excel.

Summerleague means nothing.

He had the most highlights against unathletic white guys I have ever seen.

The fact that he dominated in the summer league also nulls your statement above.

I think with Lillard and L.A, they have a great pick and roll duo. Rack up easy assists and have the impact Raymond Felton could have had, but with more scoring.

I predict he'll have maybe 15-20 PPG and 4-6 APG. In his prime, I feel like he would be one the level of today's Derrick Rose.
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 01:08:09 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I predict he'll have maybe 15-20 PPG and 4-6 APG. In his prime, I feel like he would be one the level of today's Derrick Rose.
you mean the Derrick Rose that today can't play point due to his knee?  pretty sad for a player's prime   ;)

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2012, 01:11:32 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Im gonna say rivers.  I think Lillard is a bust in the making.  He had the most highlights against unathletic white guys I have ever seen.  The NBA game will be a significant transition for him coming from such a weak conference.

you are so wrong. He destroyed all his fellow rookies in  summerleague, clearly mvp.

Hes mature, hard working, freakishly talented, and the league was customized to make players like him excel.

Well, I guess that BOS should not hope for anything from Jared or Fab this year, then.
exactly right --> Boston shouldn't.  Boston's got a lot of veteran depth at their positions so there should be no need for either of them to play. 

If either gets on the court, it'd better be because they look like all-stars in practice and are better than the vets. 
I doubt Sully gets much time at all this year.  Melo won't sniff the court unless the C's are decimated by injuries at center this year and have no choice but to play him.
=======================================================
having said that, I think the guard that will probably have the best career, relative to his draft position, is Terrence Ross.  Kid just seems like he's going to put together a really good career.

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2012, 01:26:40 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

Well, I guess that BOS should not hope for anything from Jared or Fab this year, then.

I don't think we should expect anything thats right.  But I would say Sullinger is more NBA ready than Lillard. 

Weber state got dominated by the legit teams they played last year

BYU
St Marys
Cal

In those games against legit competition Lillard shot a pedestrian 42% from the field.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2012, 01:31:04 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Obviously, its way to early to be sure.  But I do like the look of Terrence Ross and Bradley Beal.  I think both will likely do very, very well in the NBA.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2012, 01:40:59 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Not really, summerleague tells you who can't play, not who can.

This is a perfect one-liner about summer league. I've seen the sentiment before, but never this exact explanation, and I think its awesome.

Guards I like from 2012 Draft:

Lilliard: Everyone pretty much has said whatever there is to say about the kid, so I will leave it at that.

Jeremy Lamb: He's never going to be an iso-beast like Kobe or Wade, but he's got more athleticism than Reggie Miller ever had. As long as he works hard, he should be a healthy mix between Rudy Gay and Reggie Miller, with the athleticism to wow you on some night, but the sweet shooting stroke to keep him in the elite levels of SG's. I think he's a top 5 Shooting guard within 4 years.

Tony Wroten: This guy is a little experience and consistency away from being a star. He's the Avery Bradley of this draft class, except he's way more dangerous. He's 6'6, a far better passer than Bradley, and better at getting to the hoop. He had a rough freshman year, but I have no idea how he fell so far to Memphis.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2012, 01:47:16 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2413
I think with Lillard and L.A, they have a great pick and roll duo. Rack up easy assists and have the impact Raymond Felton could have had, but with more scoring.

The Chauncey Billups comparison sounds interesting for Lillard.

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2012, 01:51:03 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I don't know who's gonna be the best, it's all speculation at this point.

I'm very interested to see if Lillard can live up to what's gotta be the most hype I've seen for a small-college guy in a long time. 

I really want to see how Dion Waiters does in the NBA.  He could be a poor man's D-Wade or a bust. 

I'm also interested in Jeremy Lamb, Kendall Marshall, and Beal.

This is the most interesting crop of rookies I've seen since 2003.  Maybe even a deeper bunch, though less talented at the top of course.

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2012, 01:55:00 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I think people are optimistic about lillard after watching Steph Curry make the leap from small college to NBA.

The difference here though is that Curry won tourny games.  The most pressure filled game Lillard has played in over the past 4 years is a big sky tournament game against Montanna. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2012, 03:40:30 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I also forgot Austin Rivers...my bad on that one.

He will put up decent numbers, too.

He, Gordon, Ryan Anderson and Antonio Davis will be a fun team to watch next yr.

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2012, 04:17:54 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.

He had the most highlights against unathletic white guys I have ever seen.

The fact that he dominated in the summer league also nulls your statement above.

Ehh, I'd say Deron Williams is a better comparison.  Lillard doesn't have the bulk that DWill has, but he has that same scoring and passing mentality that DWill has.  Rose is primarily a scorer, not a passer.  Williams is a little bit of both.

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2012, 05:19:35 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Guards I like from 2012 Draft:

Tony Wroten: This guy is a little experience and consistency away from being a star. He's the Avery Bradley of this draft class, except he's way more dangerous. He's 6'6, a far better passer than Bradley, and better at getting to the hoop. He had a rough freshman year, but I have no idea how he fell so far to Memphis.

I like Wroten a lot, too.  He's very intriguing with his combination of size, handle & mobility.  I watched him a lot, being a UW alum.   He has great court awareness and is a good passer.

A common (crude) comparison is a taller (6' 6") version of Rondo.   Boy - wouldn't that be awesome?

Unfortunately, I do understand why he dropped so far.  He's very young and hopefully these things will be fixed over time but he so far has a terrible jump shot, worse free throw shot and cannot dribble and work with his right hand.

Rondo may not be the greatest shooter, but Rondo can dribble and pass with either hand and work to either side of the basket.

Until Tony improves his right hand side he's too easily defended in the NBA.   Especially if he is going to be primarily a facilitator & slasher like Rondo.

Still, he has such great natural basketball instincts and is an excellent defender.  His raw potential is pretty high.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2012, 05:41:32 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
One thing I'd say about Waiters is that Cleveland had their choice of a LOT of good and highly touted guys and went with him. They weren't afraid of trading up as the Zeller pick showed and it was a team desperate to hit a home run and for some reason they took him. And if they hadn't taken him I think he would have been gone at least in the lottery still. They've done decently with some of their picks so I think Waiters has a legit shot at being pretty good fast. He will definitely get chances immediately and often.

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2012, 07:29:19 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Don't think Lillard will be a bust but I'm going with Austin Rivers for a higher upside.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2012, 08:09:44 PM »

Offline pp34isthe1

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 40
Im going with the long shot Terrence Ross. Guy can shoot the lights out. I see Ross as a great #2 option on a team with all star potential.