Author Topic: Randy Foye - Available at Year End  (Read 1532 times)

Randy Foye - Available at Year End
« on: April 06, 2010, 07:09:23 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
So, we "drafted" him originally.  Is he worth a look in free agency and is there any way that he can fit on the roster.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

Re: Randy Foye - Available at Year End
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 07:16:24 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Depends on Ray Allen, I guess.  Foye is talented but he's a tweener guard; however, Doc seems to like those kinds of players in his lineups.  But I don't see how Ray and Foye could coexist, or how Foye would sign here with Ray and Rondo getting the bulk of the backcourt minutes.

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 07:16:31 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
So, we "drafted" him originally.  Is he worth a look in free agency and is there any way that he can fit on the roster.
Until they officially don't tender him a qualifying offer, Washington is bound to do just about anything. But, if the Washington Post reports are true and the Wizards renounce him do we really want him using up the MLE when we could get possibly someone much better at different position. Do we really need an okay combo guard using up the MLE when we could re-sign either Tony or Marquis or even Michael Finley and have an okay 2 guard without using the MLE.

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 08:24:39 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Until they officially don't tender him a qualifying offer, Washington is bound to do just about anything. But, if the Washington Post reports are true and the Wizards renounce him do we really want him using up the MLE when we could get possibly someone much better at different position. Do we really need an okay combo guard using up the MLE when we could re-sign either Tony or Marquis or even Michael Finley and have an okay 2 guard without using the MLE.
Exactly what I was thinking. 

Foye has been underwhelming in his career.  I don't see him as that much better than what we already have.  At least ours can be resigned without touching the MLE, leaving that for filling other holes with someone better (hopefully).

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 10:12:08 AM »

Offline jpd985

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
I would prefer to bring in someone that can grab rebounds. The lack of rebounding this year has been one of the biggest annoyances this season. Thank you

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 10:19:03 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Tony Allen is the better 2 guard option and Nate Robinson is a better point guard option.

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 02:38:34 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
Nah, I don't think so. Foye never learned how to play defense or how to effect a game outside of scoring. That makes him reliant on touches and shot attempts to help his team ... which is a long way from what you ideally want out of a role player.

You want that guy to be comfortable with a small dose of shots, to be able to play off of others offensively, to be able to effect games outside of scoring.

There is still a bit of potential to Foye. He is a poor-to-very poor backup guard at this stage in his career but he could develop into a very good backup combo guard if he falls into the right situation. Therefore, I would be open to taking a shot on him and that possible development if the price was right ... but Foye is likely to command $3+ million and the Celtics have too many other bigger problems, with a higher likelihood of being addressed, that they should focus on first.

So still a no, Foye has priced himself out of the C's market ... but if things were to get really bad for him and he was available for the minimum, I'd be happy taking a shot on him.

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 03:47:31 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I'm gonna go ahead and pass on Randy Foye
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers