Author Topic: Martin upset about popcorn prank  (Read 2996 times)

Martin upset about popcorn prank
« on: April 04, 2010, 07:26:32 AM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
On a night when the Denver Nuggets should have been celebrating a much-needed victory over the Portland Trail Blazers, the franchise continued to struggle with off-the-court issues when an April Fools' Day joke sparked anything but laughter.

During Denver's 109-92 victory Thursday, a former Nuggets ball boy, Laquan Johnson, got into the club's locker room, took Kenyon Martin's car keys and filled the player's Range Rover with buttered popcorn. The car had a white interior.

Martin discovered the damage as he was about to exit Denver's Pepsi Center. At the time, he had no idea who had pulled the prank. Angered, he went back to the locker room spewing profanities and threats at teammates and other members of the organization.

"That ain't no [expletive] joke," Martin said. "I'm going to find out who did it ... put my [expletive] hands on one of y'all. I'm going to put my hands on whoever did it. You better believe that. It's [expletive] personal. You better believe it."

Martin, who has missed 15 games with a torn patella tendon in his left knee, threatened to boycott the postseason if he did not find out who was responsible.

"How 'bout if I don't play in the playoffs until somebody tells me who did it," Martin said more than once.

Martin stormed in and out of the locker room several times, and a person close to him said his anger was not over the prank, but over the fact that someone could go into his pocket and take his keys during a game. Realizing the culprit had to have access to the private code for the team's gated parking lot, he assumed members of the organization either pulled the stunt or assisted in it.

"The fact that no one saw it or had anything to say about it -- not security, not the equipment manager," a person close to Martin said, explaining the player's anger. "Somebody had to see it. He was wondering how the organization let something like that happen. What if the kid had really wanted to do something evil?"

Later, Martin found out Johnson, the former ball boy who is now the driver for teammate J.R. Smith, was responsible. Johnson apologized to Martin and agreed to pay for the damage to his car.

"It was just an April Fools joke that went horribly wrong," said a member of the Nuggets organization who spoke on the condition of anonymity. "The kid thought it would be funny and it wasn't. Kenyon was back at practice today and everything was fine between him and his teammates."

The episode was the latest in a string of distractions Denver has had to deal with lately. Once regarded as the Western Conference's top challenger to the Los Angeles Lakers, the Nuggets have all but fallen apart down the stretch.

With Martin out and coach George Karl missing games while getting treatment for throat cancer, Denver had lost five of six games before defeating Portland. That stretch dropped them from the second seed to the fifth seed in the West.

Martin, who cannot guarantee he'll be healthy for the playoffs, said before Thursday's game that he hopes to return for the last regular season game or two.

Chris Broussard cover the NBA for ESPN The Magazine.
;D

Remind me never to prank him. Such a drama queen...
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

Re: Martin upset about popcorn prank
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 07:41:24 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
It's stupid on his part to rant and rave and talk about sitting out playoff games.  That's unprofessional, and it's no surprise since Kmart is one of the biggest thugs in the game.

That being said, I'd probably be irritated if somebody went into my private locker, stole my keys, and caused thousands of dollars of damage to my car, too.  I just don't think it's all that funny to destroy somebody's stuff.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 08:55:21 AM »

Offline jimmehx

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 166
I can see where he's coming from. I certainly would not be impressed about it.
That said, sitting out the playoffs is a biiiiiiig call.

"Uhhh... Wife makes chicken..." - Brian Scalabrine 2007.

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 09:30:00 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
It's stupid on his part to rant and rave and talk about sitting out playoff games.  That's unprofessional, and it's no surprise since Kmart is one of the biggest thugs in the game.

That being said, I'd probably be irritated if somebody went into my private locker, stole my keys, and caused thousands of dollars of damage to my car, too.  I just don't think it's all that funny to destroy somebody's stuff.

i agree with everything u said

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 09:35:12 AM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
There's a whole lot of wrong here, starting with a white interior in a Land Rover and ending with someone's choice of buttered popcorn. 

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 09:39:43 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Wrong guy to pull a prank on.

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 09:44:12 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daUtbMIsuUs

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 10:00:15 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
they should have just told him he was traded to the Clippers

April Fools..ahahahaah
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 10:01:37 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
seriously, buttered popcorn? That is just an odd choice.

Maybe Martin didn't have the best reaction, but it was just his first reaction. It's not like he was actually going to sit out playoff games, he was just irritated that nobody would 'snitch'- which has really become an annoying part of our current culture.

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 10:22:07 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
The idea of the joke is fun but it's a bad joke since it totally ruins a car and costs a lot of money. On the other hand, threatening of not playing in the playoffs is quite lame. "Funny" story though, I imagine Martin's reaction and the number of expletives he must have launched by second. :P

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 10:23:42 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Can't really fault him for his anger on this one. He didn't hit anyone, and people can say stuff in the heat of the moment.

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 10:28:11 AM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
they should have just told him he was traded to the Clippers
Now that's harsh :)
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 11:29:32 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
that kid has some serious you know what to pull something like that

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 11:39:51 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
they must have gotten the idea from the prank played on POB:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv58sCIEhRQ

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 11:42:12 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
You're supposed to use foam packaging peanuts... not buttered popcorn... that's just stupid.