Author Topic: 3 ridiculous calls against the Celtics in the playoffs  (Read 3105 times)

3 ridiculous calls against the Celtics in the playoffs
« on: May 04, 2009, 04:10:02 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
In this thread, we talked a lot about three ridiculous calls which were made against the Celtics in the playoffs : the first one in game 6 in Detroit last year (Pierce's pump fake 3+1 called as an offensive foul), Pierce's imaginary foul on Hinrich in game 7 against the Bulls and Perkins' technical foul after he got hit on the shoulder by Miller.

So I put all these plays all together and uploaded the video on Youtube. I'm not claiming a "conspiracy theory" but I thought it'd be interesting to discuss (and try to understand, though it seems impossible) these calls. Fortunately the C's won both games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVv4ldVgCeQ

Re: 3 ridiculous calls against the Celtics in the playoffs
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 04:15:47 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
This is worth a Tommy Point.

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 04:16:25 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
You can see Paul hit Hinrich's feet at 1:08-1:09, I don't know why people still don't see this.  I agree that the other two were horrible calls though.  

Oh, if you can find it though, there were some doozies against the C's late in Game 6 at Cleveland last year.  Pierce got called for a ridiculous charge where LeBron's feet were moving and Pierce neither extended his arm nor dropped his shoulder, there was a bad goaltending no-call where they blocked a shot by Ray after it hit the backboard, and Joe Smith got away with a 4 step travel on an inbounds before getting fouled.  All of these happened in the last minute or so.  People tend to forget about this one because of how great Game 7 was, but those calls were every bit as bad as these.

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 04:19:33 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
You can see Paul hit Hinrich's feet at 1:08-1:09, I don't know why people still don't see this.  I agree that the other two were horrible calls though.  

I can see it now, let's be fair.
Just change the headline  ;)

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 04:23:02 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Thanks for the comment fairweatherfan, I didn't notice that Paul actually touched Hinrich's feet, so it's unfair to put this call in the video, I should have checked with more concentration before I uploaded it. :P

I'll look for the plays from Cleveland that you mentioned and maybe make a new video.

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 04:27:32 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Thanks for the comment fairweatherfan, I didn't notice that Paul actually touched Hinrich's feet, so it's unfair to put this call in the video, I should have checked with more concentration before I uploaded it. :P

I'll look for the plays from Cleveland that you mentioned and maybe make a new video.

TP regardless, that's awesome work putting that together.  I looked for the Cleveland "charge" the other day and couldn't find it, so it may not be around.

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 05:09:03 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason

It's not clear that he touches Hinrich's feet.  Even if he does, Heinrich takes 3 steps and a dribble before cutting back to the left and tripping his over his own feet.

The bad call ruling stands.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 05:14:41 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Get ready for a lot more.

Just please, no more stupid fouls (Rondo)

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 05:18:26 PM »

Offline reggie35

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 51
has there been any league explanation for the tech on perk?

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 05:21:30 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
two threads today complaining about officiating.  i thought for a second that I was on a Lakers blog...

seriously, all this nonsense is getting old.  bad calls are going to happen to every team, get over it.  this isn't how we should want our fan base portrayed.

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 05:30:06 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
two threads today complaining about officiating.  i thought for a second that I was on a Lakers blog...

seriously, all this nonsense is getting old.  bad calls are going to happen to every team, get over it.  this isn't how we should want our fan base portrayed.

I forgot that we should all be jersey buying, concession fee paying sheep subject to dreadful officiating.  Thanks for the reminder.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 06:30:30 PM »

Offline connerhenry43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 163

well said, brickjames.

i do not think there is a conspiracy against the c's. i think, especially in the bulls series, refs try to help the team that is trailing. it may even be subconscious, but i think it can happen, especially if the home team is losing. and especially if the refs initials are dick bovetta.  ;)
I forgot that we should all be jersey buying, concession fee paying sheep subject to dreadful officiating.  Thanks for the reminder.
"Maybe now you'll never slime a guy with a positron collider, huh?"