Author Topic: Who’s replacing Kemba?  (Read 7453 times)

Re: Who’s replacing Kemba?
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2019, 06:43:28 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
In 2015, the Memphis Grizzlies fans had the same dilemma.  They had just finished 55-27 and were a contender in the West.  But their starting point guard was 27 years old at the time and their fans were concerned that in 4 years the Grizzlies should be looking for someone else long term.  Luckily, a fan posted a youtube video of 16-year-old Ja Morant and then they rested easy having it all figured out.

Seriously, the answer could very well be some kid who’s currently entering his junior year of hig school.   ::)
So you're saying we should scour the BallIsLife YouTube channel and overhype some kid who might not even end up a pro? Got it!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2019, 06:44:31 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Geez thought he got hurt..scare me
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2019, 06:45:27 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I thought Kemba withdrew from Team USA.

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2019, 11:44:54 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
who cares
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2019, 11:53:54 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Dude, how about we enjoy him while he's here.  He hasn't even played a single game in a Celtics uniform and already you're wondering what the team should do when he's gone?

Phew.  Can't take a breath with the NBA these days.  As soon as you get a guy the question is how are you gonna prepare yourself for his exit.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2019, 12:03:33 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

No

But we want to know who will replace him in 4 years. It doesnt matter if he hasnt played a single game as a Celtic.

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2019, 12:20:49 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

No

But we want to know who will replace him in 4 years. It doesnt matter if he hasnt played a single game as a Celtic.

Once we finally figure out who will replace Kemba, we really need to start thinking about who will replace Kemba’s replacement.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2019, 12:48:43 PM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
In 2015, the Memphis Grizzlies fans had the same dilemma.  They had just finished 55-27 and were a contender in the West.  But their starting point guard was 27 years old at the time and their fans were concerned that in 4 years the Grizzlies should be looking for someone else long term.  Luckily, a fan posted a youtube video of 16-year-old Ja Morant and then they rested easy having it all figured out.

Seriously, the answer could very well be some kid who’s currently entering his junior year of hig school.   ::)

Bronny or Zaire Wade!

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2019, 12:57:16 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
I’m not sure why this would be a concern, but I wouldn’t sleep on Edwards being able to step in.

I also don’t think Kemba will go anywhere when this contract ends.

I thought the same about Al.  Depends on money.  That's his last decent contract.  If someone pays him more he's gone.

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2019, 08:54:24 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
In 4 years when Kemba Walker’s contract is up I can’t see Celtics renewing it as he’ll be 33 and contrary to belief he isn’t 6’1, he along with Chris Paul is around 5’11. Given his age, height, salary requirement and that he’s never been an defensive anchor Celtics should be looking to someone else long term.

I know it’s presumptuous to be talking about something years from now but given it’s the quiet part of the season I thought it’d be a worthwhile talking point.

Edwards at this moment

He can shoot

I'd add three things:

1) He can create shots off the dribble, going left or right and has a range of bumps and fakes to get himself open. He's got a really impressive repertoire of stuff off the dribble (love the hesitation move, and his getting into the defender's chest), especially for a rookie.

2) He gets after it on defense, has great laterals, anticipation and lower body strength. One or two people have said he can't defend - look again.

3) He's fierce on the court, competitive, fearless - and he's a worker. This kid is a Celtic.

Also: He's got a great first step and an excellent NBA body. He's decisive with the ball, squares up to shoot, quick release.

Everyone has already noticed that he has Steph Curry range on his jumper.

He's kind of been tagged as a gunner, but he's got a lot more going for him than that suggests, and he's on the perfect team for him; he's got a role open with no one in front of him, which rookies on playoff teams rarely get.

He'll get minutes and every chance to show what he's got. It sounds like Celtics management knows what they've got.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 01:45:48 AM by Hoopvortex »
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2019, 11:02:15 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
NBA players keep getting taller. Whoever replaces him will likely be at least 6'4".
Not sure of the accuracy, but according to https://www.thehoopsgeek.com/average-nba-height/
the average height of an NBA player is only a fraction of an inch more than 30 years ago, and less than it was 15 years ago.

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2019, 11:27:58 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Season hasn't even started and we're worrying about 4 years from now?
it's the off season. everything is fair game to keep us entertained.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2019, 06:29:57 AM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 123
Carsen Edwards? He's really good, and I think he'll be a high level gunner for years to come.

That's a lot of confidence to put in a guy who has yet to play an NBA game.

We do g e be know if he'll be good enough to earn significant minutes off the bench yet.

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2019, 08:59:26 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Terry Rozier obviously.  I think the Celts won that trade.   ;D

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2019, 11:41:50 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
I think in the past 3-4 years we've seen a ton of stuff happen that we never imagined possible in our lifetimes. Nowadays, things change real quick in the NBA and it seems players have more control over movement now (from team to team). So yeah, literally I have no idea. Who knows, maybe Steph Curry truly becomes available by then  :P :P :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller