Author Topic: where would Donovan Mitchell be selcted in a re-draft?  (Read 6621 times)

Re: where would Donovan Mitchell be selcted in a re-draft?
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2018, 07:22:57 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Mitchell should be ahead of Tatum as far as RotY goes, but not a hypothetical re-draft.

Tatum was widely considered to have the highest floor of anybody in the draft, but people seriously underestimated his ceiling. I believe his scoring will become elite, his defense and rebounding could be a major plus as well.

Mitchell has been spectacular in a role tailor-made for him. He deserves Rookie of the Year. But Tatum will have the better career, and I’d be surprised if it’s even close by the end of their rookie contracts.
in what way is Mitchell better than Tatum?

If you get the ball in the basket more efficiently, you are much better than volume shooters or bricklayers.

True Shooting Percentage

Jayson Tatum   58.9%

Ben Simmons   55%

Kyle Kuzma   54.6%

Donovan Mitchell 54.2%

Lonzo Ball   44.4%

Volume shooters are volume shooters as they shoot with more volume. Not the volume sound, but the amount of shots they heave.

Shots per 36 minutes:

Donovan Mitchell 18.3

Kyle Kuzma 15.6   

Ben Simmons 13.3

Jayson Tatum 12

Lonzo Ball 11.5

A rookie who can defend is swell to have, especially one who was in the NCAA one day and in the NBA a few months later.

Defensive Rating:

Jayson Tatum   104

Ben Simmons   104

Donovan Mitchell 105

Lonzo Ball   105

Kyle Kuzma   109

Wouldn't it be amazing if the best rookie at defense was also the best rookie at offense.

Offensive Rating:

Jayson Tatum   112

Ben Simmons   109

Kyle Kuzma   105   

Donovan Mitchell 103

Lonzo Ball   97

A rookie who can play is shown by a rookie who doesn't pass the ball to the other team, as they have poise, and poise counts.

Turnovers per 36 minutes:

Jayson Tatum   1.6

Kyle Kuzma   2.0

Lonzo Ball   2.8   

Donovan Mitchell   3.0   

Ben Simmons   3.6

Range, a way to show how skilled a player is.

3point percentage:

Jayson Tatum   42.9%

Kyle Kuzma   36.6%

Donovan Mitchell   33.8%

Lonzo Ball   31.5%

Ben Simmons   0.0000%

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2018, 07:38:13 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2959
  • On To Banner 18!
He'd be #2. Tatum would be #1.

Mitchell is having a superb season, but we have to realize he's averaging 20/4/4 while playing about 37-38 minutes a game and he's averaging like 17 shot attempts a game.

Meanwhile, Tatum is averaging 14/5/2 in about 30 minutes a game, but on about 7 less shot attempts a game too.

I think Tatum's ceiling is higher than Mitchell's, and Tatum does look like the most polished player that has come out of this Draft. Frankly, Tatum probably wouldn't even be getting 25+ MPG if Hayward was healthy, so while losing Hayward absolutely sucked, it was nice seeing Tatum and Brown both get a lot more minutes this year.

Mitchell truly has impressed me though and I think he's going to be a stud in this league, no doubt.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2018, 08:00:22 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I agree with Nick that a lot of people will probably be surprised at just how good Ball and Fultz can be.  I’ll add Josh Jackson also.  I think he’ll be really good.  People are way too quick to write off players.

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2018, 08:26:14 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Mitchell should be ahead of Tatum as far as RotY goes, but not a hypothetical re-draft.

Tatum was widely considered to have the highest floor of anybody in the draft, but people seriously underestimated his ceiling. I believe his scoring will become elite, his defense and rebounding could be a major plus as well.

Mitchell has been spectacular in a role tailor-made for him. He deserves Rookie of the Year. But Tatum will have the better career, and I’d be surprised if it’s even close by the end of their rookie contracts.

If you get the ball in the basket more efficiently, you are much better than volume shooters or bricklayers.

True Shooting Percentage

Jayson Tatum   58.9%

Ben Simmons   55%

Kyle Kuzma   54.6%

Donovan Mitchell 54.2%

Lonzo Ball   44.4%

Volume shooters are volume shooters as they shoot with more volume. Not the volume sound, but the amount of shots they heave.

Shots per 36 minutes:

Donovan Mitchell 18.3

Kyle Kuzma 15.6   

Ben Simmons 13.3

Jayson Tatum 12

Lonzo Ball 11.5

A rookie who can defend is swell to have, especially one who was in the NCAA one day and in the NBA a few months later.

Defensive Rating:

Jayson Tatum   104

Ben Simmons   104

Donovan Mitchell 105

Lonzo Ball   105

Kyle Kuzma   109

Wouldn't it be amazing if the best rookie at defense was also the best rookie at offense.

Offensive Rating:

Jayson Tatum   112

Ben Simmons   109

Kyle Kuzma   105   

Donovan Mitchell 103

Lonzo Ball   97

A rookie who can play is shown by a rookie who doesn't pass the ball to the other team, as they have poise, and poise counts.

Jayson Tatum   1.6

Kyle Kuzma   2.0

Lonzo Ball   2.8   

Donovan Mitchell   3.0   

Ben Simmons   3.6

3point percentage:

Jayson Tatum   42.9%

Kyle Kuzma   36.6%

Donovan Mitchell   33.8%

Lonzo Ball   31.5%

Ben Simmons   0.0000%
Volume absolutely matters.

Mitchell is the #1 scoring option on a pretty darn good team. He deserves credit for that. Tatum is the most efficient and he's the advanced stats darling, but his roll has been much smaller than Mitchell. He's been asked to do a lot less.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2018, 08:44:32 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

True Shooting Percentage

Jayson Tatum   58.9%

Ben Simmons   55%

Kyle Kuzma   54.6%

Donovan Mitchell 54.2%

Lonzo Ball   44.4%

Shots per 36 minutes:

Donovan Mitchell 18.3

Kyle Kuzma 15.6   

Ben Simmons 13.3

Jayson Tatum 12

Lonzo Ball 11.5

Defensive Rating:

Jayson Tatum   104

Ben Simmons   104

Donovan Mitchell 105

Lonzo Ball   105

Kyle Kuzma   109

Offensive Rating:

Jayson Tatum   112

Ben Simmons   109

Kyle Kuzma   105   

Donovan Mitchell 103

Lonzo Ball   97

Jayson Tatum   1.6

Kyle Kuzma   2.0

Lonzo Ball   2.8   

Donovan Mitchell   3.0   

Ben Simmons   3.6

3point percentage:

Jayson Tatum   42.9%

Kyle Kuzma   36.6%

Donovan Mitchell   33.8%

Lonzo Ball   31.5%

Ben Simmons   0.0000%
Volume absolutely matters.

Mitchell is the #1 scoring option on a pretty darn good team. He deserves credit for that. Tatum is the most efficient and he's the advanced stats darling, but his roll has been much smaller than Mitchell. He's been asked to do a lot less.
Also, Mitchell isn't a chucker. His TS% is league average and as a rookie with a usage rate as high as his, that's darn good.

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2018, 09:09:55 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

True Shooting Percentage

Jayson Tatum   58.9%

Ben Simmons   55%

Kyle Kuzma   54.6%

Donovan Mitchell 54.2%

Lonzo Ball   44.4%

Shots per 36 minutes:

Donovan Mitchell 18.3

Kyle Kuzma 15.6   

Ben Simmons 13.3

Jayson Tatum 12

Lonzo Ball 11.5

Defensive Rating:

Jayson Tatum   104

Ben Simmons   104

Donovan Mitchell 105

Lonzo Ball   105

Kyle Kuzma   109

Offensive Rating:

Jayson Tatum   112

Ben Simmons   109

Kyle Kuzma   105   

Donovan Mitchell 103

Lonzo Ball   97

Jayson Tatum   1.6

Kyle Kuzma   2.0

Lonzo Ball   2.8   

Donovan Mitchell   3.0   

Ben Simmons   3.6

3point percentage:

Jayson Tatum   42.9%

Kyle Kuzma   36.6%

Donovan Mitchell   33.8%

Lonzo Ball   31.5%

Ben Simmons   0.0000%

Is this you on RealGM?

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1688513

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2018, 09:16:37 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Reminds me of just last season when everyone talked up Brogdon. I'm not saying Mitchell won't be a star but a lot of people were hating on JB and others because of Brogdon (or is it brogdan?). 1 season is far too early.

Or Michael Carter Williams.

« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2018, 09:22:47 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1550
I said 3 to 6 on page 1 and I'm sticking with that, with the slight modification of 3 to 7.  I think Tatum and Ball still both very clearly go ahead of Mitchell.  I believe Jackson, Fultz, Smith, and Markkanen all could as well.  While unlikely, I think Fox, Isaac, and Kuzma all might with certain teams.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2018, 09:40:27 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
I said 3 to 6 on page 1 and I'm sticking with that, with the slight modification of 3 to 7.  I think Tatum and Ball still both very clearly go ahead of Mitchell.  I believe Jackson, Fultz, Smith, and Markkanen all could as well.  While unlikely, I think Fox, Isaac, and Kuzma all might with certain teams.

I hate to admit it but Ball's stat line of 10-7-7 is really impressive and from what I've heard he can defend as well. Given his age and upside (especially if he ever fixes his shot) Ball probably does still go ahead of Mitchell.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2018, 10:32:56 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Top 2 for sure. I don’t think Tatum or anyone else is a sure thing beyond what we’ve seen from Mitchell so far.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2018, 12:27:32 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Tatum, Simmons and Mitchell in that order
Mitchell can be a Lillard or a MCW

« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2018, 01:23:02 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136

Pssst... Simmons is drafted 2 years ago.

« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2018, 02:00:38 AM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
There’s not a single team in the NBA that would choose Jonathan Isaac over Mitchell. That’s ridiculous.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2018, 07:40:10 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
D. Mitchell is one of the best stories of this NBA season - 21 year old SG who was overlooked in a great draft and is putting up 20/4/4 on good efficiency for a playoff team - probable ROTY.

My question is - where do you think he'd go in a re-draft if it were done today? Does he have as much potential as guys like Tatum, Ball, and Jackson? Or is he a one year wonder in the same class as guys like Tyreke Evans/Damon Stoudemire?
With this restriction, he goes #1.  He is leading all rookies in scoring.  He is not MCW.

« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2018, 08:43:27 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743

I don't get the MCW comparison.

MCW was a stat stuffer on a terrible team trying to lose. Donavan Mitchel is the offensive leader on a playoff team.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008