Author Topic: 2020 Red Sox Thread  (Read 83234 times)

Re: 2019 Red Sox Thread
« Reply #210 on: July 26, 2019, 10:36:13 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think the next week will go a long way to determine if this team is buying or selling. If they go say 4-1 before the deadline and are a game out of the last playoff spot or in one of the two wild card spots, do you try to make a run at Edwin Diaz, who the Mets appear to be making available? Or if they go 1-4 in that time, do you see Betts, Martinez, and Price made available and moved? Should be interesting last few days before the deadline.

« Reply #211 on: July 26, 2019, 10:46:10 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I think the next week will go a long way to determine if this team is buying or selling. If they go say 4-1 before the deadline and are a game out of the last playoff spot or in one of the two wild card spots, do you try to make a run at Edwin Diaz, who the Mets appear to be making available? Or if they go 1-4 in that time, do you see Betts, Martinez, and Price made available and moved? Should be interesting last few days before the deadline.

Despite what happens during the rest of the series with the Yankees, I don't think the Red Sox end up selling. They'll still be within striking distance of the wild card. Also, because they just extended Sale, Bogaerts and re-signed Eovaldi, they don't seem to be in a position to sell. As for being buyers, hopefully they acquire a reliever (Ken Giles or Shane Greene, for example.) If they can do that with Eovaldi hopefully rounding into form, Barnes and Workman continuing to do well with some surprising contributions from Josh Taylor, Colten Brewer and even Darwinzon Hernandez, the bullpen would be in decent shape.

The offseason is when they will have some tough decisions to make, especially when it comes to Mookie, Bradley and Martinez.

I'd love to see them keep Mookie (even if it goes into $300 million territory) because he's a good player and should be the face of the franchise. But if he's adamant on hitting free agency, then it's time for the Sox to explore a potential trade. Ditto for Bradley. With JD, if he opts out, I'm not sure the Sox try to resign him at what JD will want (likely around $125 mil.)

I also think Porcello will be gone.

Next season, we might see a quasi-rebuild where the Sox build around a veteran core of Sale, Price, Eovaldi and then a younger one in  Devers, Bogaerts, ERod, Benintendi, Chavis and Vasquez.

Although, going after Gerrit Cole would be a great idea. If they do that, they have one of the best rotations in baseball and will easily contend, even if the offense takes a hit.

« Reply #212 on: July 26, 2019, 09:58:40 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Mookie’s first 3 at bats tonight all home runs...here come the Sox!

The massacre continues.

« Reply #213 on: July 26, 2019, 10:37:27 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

The massacre continues.

Two beautiful sights to behold: Mookie when he's hot, and the Sox crushing the Yanks. ;D
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #214 on: July 26, 2019, 11:16:24 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

The massacre continues.

Two beautiful sights to behold: Mookie when he's hot, and the Sox crushing the Yanks. ;D

Mookie, JD and Devers responsible for all 10 runs tonight. Mookie driving in 5 of them.

« Reply #215 on: July 27, 2019, 12:38:16 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002
Are the Red Sox gelling at the right time?

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #216 on: July 27, 2019, 03:15:04 AM »

• Satch Sanders

Possibly. Mookie's average has gone up 28 points since the end of June (he's hitting .395 in July!), JD's 14 for his last 32 (.438), Benny's 9 for his last 22 (.409), and of course Bogaerts and Devers have been on fire for a while. On the pitching side, Cashner's been totally respectable as a No. 5 starter, Sale's looked quite a bit better his last couple of starts, and getting Eovaldi back could be a big boost for the bullpen.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #217 on: July 27, 2019, 03:15:27 AM »

• Satch Sanders

The massacre continues.

Mookie, JD and Devers responsible for all 10 runs tonight. Mookie driving in 5 of them.

Pretty awesome!

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #218 on: July 27, 2019, 10:57:07 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

I sure hope so. Time will tell.

I think they DEFINITELY need a reliever (or two.)

« Reply #219 on: July 27, 2019, 11:10:50 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
Im a Reds fan (dont laugh)...Iglesias is on the block (at least what the word is around Cincy) and has 3 more years on his contract..what u got to offer?
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #220 on: July 27, 2019, 11:14:14 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Im a Reds fan (dont laugh)...Iglesias is on the block (at least what the word is around Cincy) and has 3 more years on his contract..what u got to offer?

Probably not much. I think the Sox would be better advised to go after a reliever with maybe a year of team control left or even maybe a rental and then perhaps re-sign in the offseason (think Ken Giles, Greg Holland, Will Smith, Shane Green.)

Not sure the Sox have the prospect depth at this juncture and if they did, not sure they'd use it on a reliever (though Iglesias is pretty good)

« Reply #221 on: July 27, 2019, 11:19:02 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
Raisel Iglesias is a closer with 3 more years on his contract
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #222 on: July 27, 2019, 08:10:02 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
We have outscored the unbeatable Yankees 38-13  over three days. 3 games to zero. Different hero today but wow, our offense is on fire and starting pitching is a mile ahead of them so far. Sweep them tomorrow!

« Reply #223 on: July 27, 2019, 08:18:34 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If Sale comes out tomorrow and looks great while the Sox throw down another 10+ runs on this Skankee staff, I am going to start to get very excited about the Sox again.

Never give up. Never surrender.

« Reply #224 on: July 27, 2019, 09:10:01 PM »

Offline Hank Finkel

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
If Sale comes out tomorrow and looks great while the Sox throw down another 10+ runs on this Skankee staff, I am going to start to get very excited about the Sox again.

Never give up. Never surrender.

I have to agree.  The Sox look like they are playing with a purpose now, much like all of last year.  If they can get the pen in order and play tough like this weekend for the remainder of the season look out.