Poll

Resign?

Re-sign him at a price over $14 mill. He does a lot for the team
20 (14.6%)
Too much money. The Limited offense isn't worth this much
117 (85.4%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Author Topic: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged - finalizing 4 year deal]  (Read 120007 times)

Re: Smart to ESPN: "i'm worth more than $14 mill a year" Goner?
« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2018, 11:36:22 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
I feel like Avery bradleys situation is closer to smarts than marcus morris....bradley was a coveted roleplayer known for his defensive hustle (much like smart). Although in his last year we knew Bradley was going to demand 20million$ so ainge traded him...partly to create space for Gordon Hayward...and partly because the celtics werent paying 20million to a roleplayer. in return they got another roleplayer in Morris on a cheaper/longer deal.

If you take Gordon hayward out early in the quarter and then put him back with the 2nd unit as a ball-handler(which was a large part of his role in utah). Does that negate some of smarts value? we know ainges original plan was to always have one of Kyrie/Hayward/horford on the floor...I can only imagine it will stay the same next year with the added benefit of Tatum/Brown

« Reply #76 on: May 28, 2018, 11:40:45 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
I feel like Avery bradleys situation is closer to smarts than marcus morris....bradley was a coveted roleplayer known for his defensive hustle (much like smart). Although in his last year we knew Bradley was going to demand 20million$ so ainge traded him...partly to create space for Gordon Hayward...and partly because the celtics werent paying 20million to a roleplayer. in return they got another roleplayer in Morris on a cheaper/longer deal.

If you take Gordon hayward out early in the quarter and then put him back with the 2nd unit as a ball-handler(which was a large part of his role in utah). Does that negate some of smarts value? we know ainges original plan was to always have one of Kyrie/Hayward/horford on the floor...I can only imagine it will stay the same next year with the added benefit of Tatum/Brown
It absolutely does.  Brad's going to be able to have 2 all star caliber players on the court at all times next season, assuming they stay relatively healthy. They'll destroy a lot of 2nd units.  So between Morris, Semi and Rozier they'd be able to mitigate the loss of Smart.  I do think that in a perfect world however they'd want him back at what they consider a reasonable salary.  I'm just not sure that's in the cards.

« Reply #77 on: May 28, 2018, 11:43:40 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

It absolutely does.  Brad's going to be able to have 2 all star caliber players on the court at all times next season, assuming they stay relatively healthy. They'll destroy a lot of 2nd units.  So between Morris, Semi and Rozier they'd be able to mitigate the loss of Smart.  I do think that in a perfect world however they'd want him back at what they consider a reasonable salary.  I'm just not sure that's in the cards.

As many people have said, I can’t believe they’d pay him $15 million starting next year. I really admire his spirit, and who knows, maybe he’ll become a league-average shooter by the end of his next contract (which would make him a very nice player), but we can’t pay that much for a sixth or seventh man.

« Reply #78 on: May 28, 2018, 11:51:06 AM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
That's hilarious.

What they need to do is convert Rozier and Smart into a better backup point guard or a young pg with higher ceiling.   

What a league when Marcus Smart is asking for 14 million dollar a year.   14 MILLION DOLLARS.  Christ,  NBA pay is insane.

« Reply #79 on: May 28, 2018, 12:00:29 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Rumor is the pacers are going to come hard after Smart

« Reply #80 on: May 28, 2018, 12:05:26 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

Makes complete sense for them.  Dipo's ability in the P&R would allow the pairing to work during crunch time.  Their defense in the back court would be insane!

« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2018, 12:07:57 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'm sure Smart's agent is working the rumors hard to try and drum up a market.

Hard is going to be for less money than Smart wants is my guess.

« Reply #82 on: May 28, 2018, 12:08:38 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
If Tatum, Brown, Hayward and Irving are your core why would you spend big money on anyone else?  Tradeable contracts I guess,  but everything Smart does can be replicated with someone else cheaper with Brad coaching.

« Reply #83 on: May 28, 2018, 12:11:42 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
celtics should be at a point now especially after this run where quality role-players will want to come here for a chance at a ring.

Ainge's top job now is going to be able to fill the coffers and keep solid role-players around a core of Kyrie/Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Horford.

Assuming everyone is healthy I dont think smart would get enough minutes to warrant 14+ million. Imagine last nights game, except Gordon Hayward or Kyrie Irving would be out there taking 10+ 3's instead of smart/rozier.

« Reply #84 on: May 28, 2018, 12:18:56 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
celtics should be at a point now especially after this run where quality role-players will want to come here for a chance at a ring.

Ainge's top job now is going to be able to fill the coffers and keep solid role-players around a core of Kyrie/Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Horford.

Assuming everyone is healthy I dont think smart would get enough minutes to warrant 14+ million. Imagine last nights game, except Gordon Hayward or Kyrie Irving would be out there taking 10+ 3's instead of smart/rozier.
I think hitting on draft picks who can become supporting players and converting that SAC pick into the best talent possible is his foremost concern.

Marcus Smart at $12-$14 million per year?
« Reply #85 on: May 28, 2018, 12:37:22 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23628377/marcus-smart-restricted-free-agency-worth-more-12m-14m

Smart, who will be a restricted free agent this summer, was told that Boston might not be able -- or willing -- to afford the $12-14 million a year price tag that he reportedly has been seeking.

"To be honest, I'm worth more than 12-14 million," Smart told ESPN. "Just for the things I do on the court that don't show up on the stat sheet. You don't find guys like that. I always leave everything on the court, every game. Tell me how many other players can say that."

Well, is this goodbye, then?

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Re: Marcus Smart at $12-$14 million per year?
« Reply #86 on: May 28, 2018, 12:42:07 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
I would not give Marcus Smart 14M a year but it is what I thought would play out with him. Someone will most likely, someone desperate in need of a culture change.

« Reply #87 on: May 28, 2018, 12:45:25 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Time to develop the kids and see what we have in Semi, Yabu and Jabari Bird.

The sarting five on opening night will be the main contributors on offense.. See what we canget in a Sign and trade with Smart..if we include Rozier.

« Reply #88 on: May 28, 2018, 12:56:11 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I would be okay with giving Smart 12 to 14 million with incentives locked in for good shooting, more rebounding, All Defensive awards or more passing numbers.

That being said.. My favorite player will probably be leaving us shortly..
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #89 on: May 28, 2018, 01:00:08 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
This is not up to Smart, and it really isn't under Ainge's control either. This is about the market for his services, and there are only a handful of teams who could even consider paying him over $10M. This is a bad year to hope someone overpays you.

The only way Marcus sticks here long term is if he takes a deal less than $10M. If we match an offer that is higher than that, it can't be much higher, because Ainge will absolutely have to move him. If he gets an offer for $14M we do not match, because we don't have the minutes to make him an attractive player at that price, and there is no way he can stay.
good way of looking at it