Author Topic: Kendrick Perkins best center since Robert Parish.  (Read 5155 times)

Re: Kendrick Perkins best center since Robert Parish.
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 06:13:30 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
this is more to point out the lack of big talent since the departure of McHale and Parish. you can count our GOOD bigs on one hand: Dino, Antoine, Big Al.... then our two best centers have been Battie and Perk (which isn't saying that much, and no they aren't in our list of GOOD bigs)

when its all said and done i think that we'll look back and view Perk as a good center.

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2009, 06:29:43 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
I love Perk's work ethic and attitude. He is for sure in the top 5 true centers in this league defensively and will climb higher. He will not surpass Dwight Howard and may be looking up at Oden shortly from the defensive end.

On the offensive end, he is not in the top 15 and may never be. He just doesnt have the lift or touch on his shot. He still struggles with FT and fouls although he may eventually improve both of these with hard work.

Perk is not a great center. He is a very good center. I dont hold that against him, rather I appreciate what he does for us. I feel very fortunate to have a center with his personality and willingness to sacrifice himself without question for the good of the team. 8)
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2009, 06:46:52 PM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Perkins value to this team in a sense mirrors Poseys except that Perkins is pretty much only on D. Let's face it though, the guy routinely slows down other dominant centers and clogs the lane against other great offensive players. It's funny how KG gets the Defensive Player of the Year award (not saying he didnt deserve it) but KP doesnt get as much credit as he deserves. KG makes a huge block but nobody notices that KP was the guy who caused the last 4 shots to be missed. Kudos to Kendrick and just because his last few games havent been fantastic doesnt mean the next few won't be.

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2009, 06:52:57 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
This isn't exactly saying much.  ::)

i agree...

he has limited offensive ability...pretty mechanical in the low post...continually brings the ball down around his waste instead of keeping it elevated above his shoulders...he's mostly a garbage player with some skill.

but since the nba is deprived of great centers he's probably one of top-tiered ones...

...which as you said, isn't saying much.

Freudian slip?
God bless and good night!

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2009, 07:01:31 PM »

Offline TrueGreen

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
Yeah, Perk is the best since Parish. But I would also add that we had Bill Walton for one healthy year ('86).

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2009, 07:11:59 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.

i agree...

he has limited offensive ability...pretty mechanical in the low post...continually brings the ball down around his waste instead of keeping it elevated above his shoulders...he's mostly a garbage player with some skill.

but since the nba is deprived of great centers he's probably one of top-tiered ones...

Freudian slip?

funny!!  i didn't catch that.  perk frustrates me because the talent is there, and no doubt he is getting good teaching.  but it appears that he ignores or forgets it.  he still brings the ball down and feels the need to put that one dribble down before going back up strong.

but the nba is void of many decent centers today, and he pretty much fits what this team wants from him.

years ago i remember the "basketball digest" doing those comparisons (when i was in school in the early 80's).  i think that perk and Diop would be a good comparison, and i never thought much of him either.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2009, 07:17:22 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...

i agree...

Freudian slip?

funny!!  i didn't catch that.  perk frustrates me because the talent is there, and no doubt he is getting good teaching.  but it appears that he ignores or forgets it.  he still brings the ball down and feels the need to put that one dribble down before going back up strong.

but the nba is void of many decent centers today, and he pretty much fits what this team wants from him.

years ago i remember the "basketball digest" doing those comparisons (when i was in school in the early 80's).  i think that perk and Diop would be a good comparison, and i never thought much of him either.

I used to feel the same way, but he's actually doing what I want now.

He's rebounding like a man his size should.

I personally don't think he's working with much talent, it's just a lot of hardwork.

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2009, 07:28:27 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
What about Stojko Vrankovic?  Just kidding.

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2009, 08:26:23 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
How many times does this chump need to hurt his shoulder before we get a real center?
God bless and good night!