Author Topic: Celtics call up Giddens and Walker  (Read 5368 times)

Celtics call up Giddens and Walker
« on: January 08, 2009, 04:53:27 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

Re: Celtics call up Giddens and Walker
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 04:58:37 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I just posted this in the Bill Walker thread, but I don't know how much they are really "called up".  Ainge talked about it on WEEI this afternoon, and said they were both heading back to Boston to "get some rest", and have some injuries looked at (Gidden's wrist, and Walker apparently tweaked his leg a bit the other night).  He said they would evaluate them next week, but did not seem too confident that they would be playing for the C's any time soon.

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 05:01:38 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I just posted this in the Bill Walker thread, but I don't know how much they are really "called up".  Ainge talked about it on WEEI this afternoon, and said they were both heading back to Boston to "get some rest", and have some injuries looked at (Gidden's wrist, and Walker apparently tweaked his leg a bit the other night).  He said they would evaluate them next week, but did not seem too confident that they would be playing for the C's any time soon.

id rather have them up for blowouts than down in utah doing jack and squat that has to do with the Celtics system.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 05:04:06 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

id rather have them up for blowouts than down in utah doing jack and squat that has to do with the Celtics system.

I agree.  I think its good that they got some experience down there, but I think at this point, they can get more from being with the team.

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 05:13:15 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...

Chris is right, they probably won't be playing anytime soon. At the very least maybe one of them could suit up instead of POB. That would make seeing some floor time would be a possibility in that situation.

I'm with you, Crownsy, concerning being in Boston, versus being in Utah. The D-league isn't going to help them learn the Celtics system. It would be much better for them if they stayed and practiced with the team. They need to learn the Celtics system, not toy with D-league scrubs.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 05:21:00 PM by ManUp »

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 05:15:15 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

Yeah I heard it too.  What he also said that I really liked is that these two can contribute to an NBA team now.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 05:25:02 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Just because they are here does not mean they will be activated for any games. They could be up here resting and getting in some Celtic practice time while sitting at the end of the bench in suits. Heck, there's no guarantee they travel with the team and the Celtics still have a bunch of road games forthcoming.

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 05:29:30 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Yeah I heard it too.  What he also said that I really liked is that these two can contribute to an NBA team now.

Well, to be clear, he said that they could contribute in the NBA right now, BUT the C's didn't have any room for them.

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 05:38:59 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

Well, to be clear, he said that they could contribute in the NBA right now, BUT the C's didn't have any room for them.

I didn't forget that part.  I'm just saying that fact that they are good enough is what I was happy about.  None of us really know whether their games will translate until they get a real chance in the NBA.  I know Doc probably isn't going to play them. :-\
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 05:39:53 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Both but Walker especially will bring some energy and GRIT to the team if only at practice.  I'm all for Walker getting some sf minutes right away.  We know what scal can bring to us, he's a vet and won't be affected if his minutes one night are given to the rook.
That said doc hates to play rookies (see rondo etc etc) but team really needs a kick in the ass and energy off bench.

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 05:41:39 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Three games in four nights (Fri vs. the Cavs, and Sun/Mon home and home vs. the Raps), followed by Wednesday's game vs. the Nets. Then no games until the following Saturday, in Jersey.

As I said in the other thread, it's a good time for them to join the big club. With Tony's injury, one of these guys should dress if at all possible (with Tony and Cassell being deactivated) for next week's games. There may be an opportunity for a practice with the big club, or at least some quality time with the training and conditioning staff.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 05:42:09 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178

That they can contribute now is nice 'pre-trade' discussion rhetoric as well isnt it?

I am of the opinion that we will likely see a body or two go on the injury list soon. Possibly a starter? KG? Perk? Tony? They will be needed as bench and practice bodies for that eventuallity. When this happens and it is inevitable IMO, I just hope they both see some minutes off the bench. 8)
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 05:56:46 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I say this is a good move. It looks like they have been doing very respectable in the D league. Maybe Danny knows a bit more than we do about these two guys and how they can really help our team. Im excited to see Bill Walker and Id love to see Giddens get some minutes over House.

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 05:57:39 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I'd like to see both gets minutes over House and TA.

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 05:58:26 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

That they can contribute now is nice 'pre-trade' discussion rhetoric as well isnt it?

That's how I took it.

I didn't forget that part.  I'm just saying that fact that they are good enough is what I was happy about.  None of us really know whether their games will translate until they get a real chance in the NBA.  I know Doc probably isn't going to play them. :-\

You just have to take comments like that from Ainge with a grain of salt.  He is likely trying to move at least one of them, and it is absolutely in his best interest to make comments like that. 

And if you do want to put more credence in it, how about this.  In the context of what he said about them, it would basically mean that they are good enough to play in the NBA right now...but they are not as good as Scal, Pruitt, Allen, or POB.