Author Topic: Is Kevin Garnett no longer a "superstar" player?  (Read 4471 times)

Is Kevin Garnett no longer a "superstar" player?
« on: January 08, 2009, 10:24:18 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
I realize, like myself, we were all very excited when Danny made the moves to bring Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett to Boston.  But my concern is that KG's tires have a lot of tread on them and that he can no longer be considered a "superstar" player...

...yet he is being paid like one.

The Celtics have invested a ton of money into 3 players, and we're now seeing they did so at the expense of a bench.  Also, Rondo and Powe are nearing contract extensions and they won't come cheap.

If KG is no longer the player he was could it be said that his contract now becomes an albatross to the salary cap?  I don't consider a guy averaging 16 points and 9 rebounds a "superstar" player.  And though I appreciate the hustle he brings and his leadership qualities, I'm not sure that he is worth the money that he'll be receiving on the "downside" of his career. 

I think we all know that Danny is eventually going to have to blow this thing up again...the question is when, and which one of the "big 3" will he have to move in order to keep this thing sustained.  I suppose that losing the way we are begs this question more than it did a month ago, but what I'm seeing disturbs me...it's not the losing, but HOW we're losing and I don't see this thing turning itself around soon.

So will Danny eventually consider moving one of his 3 stars to bring more depth...or...will he just ride it out and watch this team become the early '90's Celtics and die a slow, painful death to mediocrity.

I'm not sure that KG is still the player everyone thinks he is and he, of the "big 3," may be the most attractive player out there...and Danny's not afraid to make a move to position himself for 2010 when the NBA is likely to look MUCH different because this Celtics team simply won't be good enough then.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

Re: Is Kevin Garnett no longer a "superstar" player?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 10:40:04 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Short answer, no. Kevin Garnett is still a superstar.

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 10:49:52 AM »

Offline im right

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 4
so what "superstar" would you trade our "star" for?
"I shoot close range like Danny Ainge"-Biggie Smalls

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 10:52:49 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
He may have slipped a bit, but he is still our glue that holds the whole team together.  I would never trade this guy.  Out of the big3, Ray is the only one I would deal if a great offer came along.  But Ray's value may be even higher next year, the last year of his contract.

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 11:15:18 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
The only way Ainge "blows up" this unit is if this current slump continues for the remainder of the season and it becomes clear that the fruit has gone from ripe to rotten over night (anf if that's the case who wants them anyhow?).

Even in this doomsday scenario I'm still happy with the one championship, but I'm nowhere near ready to even thinking this is the reality of the situation.

The C's will be fine and KG has a lot of high level ball left in him.
Yup

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 11:16:48 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Paul Pierce is averaging 19.5 and 5.6.  Ray Allen is averaging 17.7 points and 3 assists.  Scottie Pippen averaged 16 and 7 in 1998.  Are the above all superstars?   Point:  You cannot just base a player's play (or star status) on his stats.  KG is still a superstar, see how he and Perk dominated the lakers frontcourt in the NBA finals last year.

I agree with moiso, Ray is the only one I would consider trading for a younger player at this point as he is the one most likely to see the fastest decline of skills.  But I'm still very happy with him at the moment.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 01:21:09 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Silly, but I'm kinda encouraged by Shaq's play last month.  He averaged 22 points, 10 rebounds, 1.7 blocks on 60% shooting.  The guy turns 37 in a couple months and hasn't been in shape for a decade.

If Shaq can play like this at 37... KG should still have a few years left of high quality ball.  He's still sacrificing a lot of stats for the good of the team. 

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 02:35:23 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
yes, kg is still a superstar.  last season he was vital to our championship, an mvp candidate, and the defensive player of the year.

i think his play has gone down this season, but i attribute it to either:
1. a slump
2. a nagging injury
3. a short summer and being more fatigued.

we arent even halfway through the season, so it is WAY too early to write him of, especially since he is such a competitor.

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 03:31:55 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
He's certainly looked at as a superstar by most people, gets paid like a superstar and gets exposure and commercials like he is one, and gets tagged by most people in the media as the captain and face of the team, even though he's not.

so yes, hes still a superstar, unfortuantely I dont think he plays like one anymore
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 03:41:19 PM »

Offline TradeProposalDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 56
While he's no ordinary good stats guy, he's obviously declined. The wear and tear was inevitable. The otherwise durable KG is now experiencing injury problems, an unfortunate but inevitable precursor to the "washed up" stage where he'll officially be past his prime. For his standards, though. So I'd put him on that fringe where you could place him into either "superstar / elite" or "star." A good argument could be made for either choice.

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 04:18:33 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
Depends on your definition of "superstar"...

The term itself seems to be part ability, part notoriety to me... after all, being a "star" means being marketable, popular, a major draw, etc.  He still qualifies by those standouts.

But by a more stricter, type of player that can carry a team through a season, definition... then no.  But he's in his 14th year, so I don't think it should be a surprise.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 06:44:05 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Short answer, no. Kevin Garnett is still a superstar.

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 07:01:22 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
yes, kg is still a superstar.  last season he was vital to our championship, an mvp candidate, and the defensive player of the year.

1. a slump
2. a nagging injury

we arent even halfway through the season, so it is WAY too early to write him of, especially since he is such a competitor.
tp for your comments..i agree with you.

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 07:04:23 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
Remember... this was the shortest summer Paul, Ray or Kevin have ever experienced in their NBA careers.

And as others have said, Kevin may not be the focal point but that does not mean the talent and ability are not still there.  I'm confident the big ticket will be a top tier talent for several more years.

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 07:12:58 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

1. a slump
2. a nagging injury

tp for your comments..i agree with you.

thx...right back at you buddy