Author Topic: Pull Yourself Back, Accept These Facts, And Then Relax A Bit  (Read 4020 times)

Pull Yourself Back, Accept These Facts, And Then Relax A Bit
« on: January 08, 2009, 01:41:44 AM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
1. The C's are tired.

That's why The defense is inconsistent. It's not for lack of heart, because this team has plenty of that. Even the most dedicated people break down when they are mentally and/or physically tired.

That's also why we can't hit any shots. This game (Rockets) was in position to be wrapped up with a few well-delivered shots, and we just couldn't hit them. It was 77-73, and we had at least 5 shots to extend the lead. We were really hustling on D, and seeing each defensive possession all the way though (something we have struggled with, allowing offensive boards or getting the rebound and then throwing away the outlet).

Remember Ray Allen's missed layup at the end of the game? It was kind of inconsiquential, since the game was already gone at that point, but it was a perfect microcosm of what this team is dealing with. There is no doubt in my mind that if the calendar read "November" Ray Allen would have made that layup.

2. SOMETHING is off with KG.

I can't pinpoint what, maybe its just general fatigue, but something is off with our best all-around player. He hasn't been our best player lately, and its really hurt us. Sure, he's made some nice plays, but there is no consistency to his game on either end. He's sputtering, and, since he is the engine that makes this team run, the team is mimicking him, and sputtering in the same way.

For example, KG makes that great play blocking Aaron Brooks (is he available?), but then on the next trip he messed up his rotation and got caught under the rim after Perk blocked Landry's shot, allowing Yao to get a key dunk.

And on offense he's just the same way. For every great pass out of a triple team to rondo there's a step-back, fadeaway jumper that comes nowhere close. I don't know what the problem is, but I really hope it isn't permanent.

3. We will never get any media love ever again.

At least not this season. Any credibility or rapport we developed over the last season and a half is officially gone. This stretch of games will be the focus of any national telecast involving the celtics from now until the end of the year. So, that being the case, I'd like to say this in advance:

shut up Mike Breen. Shut your [dang] mouth, and stop yelling bang. No one likes it. Not even the Laker fans.

4. A FA addition or a trade acquisition is not necessary. Nothing desperately needs to be added to this team. There is no quick fix. I'd love for there to be one, you'd love for there to be one, but there isn't one.

I would appreciate the addition of Joe Smith, and it would improve our chances of winning the championship, but it isn't vital. We can beat anyone in the league as we are currently constructed. I know it doesn't seem that way right now, but when this stretch passes and this dark cloud of malaise and fatigue and flu germs lifts (it will happen February 15th, you have my word) we will be right back near the level we were playing to begin the season.

I know that last one sounds positive, and isn't really a depressing fact, but the depressing part is that there is no quick fix. Get it?

And on an entirely diffent note...

HOW BOUT THAT GLEN DAVIS?!?!?
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

Re: Pull Yourself Back, Accept These Facts, And Then Relax A Bit
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 02:36:39 AM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol
TP R.I.B you are right for the most part. The team needs to spend a day reflecting on whats going on and realize they need to wake up again.
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 02:52:52 AM »

Offline Slugger

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
Yeah, agree there RIB. TP.  January is a funny time of the season for players i've heard.  The newness of the season has worn off, and playoffs seem so far away.

The C's will be there come crunch time.  I do think though that we will need some sort of FA acquisition come playoff time.  We just dont have enough experienced big men on the bench. Defensively, PJ was huge for us last year. I know he hit some timely baskets, but his defensive presence was the biggest factor.

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 03:38:06 AM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
Great post. I agree they have to be tired. I can't imagine how much energy their typical hustle and defensive intensity requires. Sometimes they just have to deal with the fact that the other team simply wanted it more and they can't outplay and out-hustle the other team every game for 2 straight seasons. Throw the bench out there more to sink or swim now is as good a time to gamble as any. We need fresh legs bring out the young ones so at least the starters can get some rest during the slump. Ray has played too many minutes these two games. It seems Ray and Paul always get forgotten when KG and Rondo's minutes are being rationed.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 03:46:30 AM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
shut up Mike Breen. Shut your [dang] mouth, and stop yelling bang. No one likes it.

I'd beg to differ with this.  Still a big-time Breen fan.  Breen, Marv, Gorman, Ian Eagle and Gus Johnson could announce anything, anytime, anywhere, and I'd probably enjoy it.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 08:21:12 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
shut up Mike Breen. Shut your [dang] mouth, and stop yelling bang. No one likes it.

I'd beg to differ with this.  Still a big-time Breen fan.  Breen, Marv, Gorman, could announce anything, anytime, anywhere, and I'd probably enjoy it.

-sw

Same. Breen and Marv are the best commentators around. Love for Mike and Tommy as a tandem, but Mike Breen is probably my #1 right now.

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 08:22:08 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

I'd beg to differ with this.  Still a big-time Breen fan.  Breen, Marv, Gorman, could announce anything, anytime, anywhere, and I'd probably enjoy it.

-sw

Same. Breen and Marv are the best commentators around. Love for Mike and Tommy as a tandem, but Mike Breen is probably my #1 right now.

I think we've all said this, that breen-JVG-MJ crew is the best calling games right now, IMO.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 08:45:04 AM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
wow, really? i absolutely can not stand Mike Breen, I think hes the worst national color guy in the history of the NBA and the JVG MJ and Breen crew butcher games and ruin national NBA broadcasts...hasnt been the same since NBA on NBC...to each his own I guess.

"We will never get any media love ever again.

At least not this season. Any credibility or rapport we developed over the last season and a half is officially gone. This stretch of games will be the focus of any national telecast involving the celtics from now until the end of the year"

Couldnt agree more, I will not be wathing ESPN the rest of the season
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 09:41:54 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Aside from Mike and Tommy, put me down on the Breen-Jackson-Van Gundy fanboy list, I think they are the best national crew by miles.

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 01:05:47 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg

-sw

Really? Really?? He annoys me so much. During the finals, he spent all his time either spewing Laker propaganda, or pointing out the Celtics flaws. The only time he really talked about the C's was in relation to the Lakers, i.e., The Celtics are good, but if you look at the Lakers offense....

I can't stand Breen's voice either. Just my opinion.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 01:20:44 PM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
The midseason doldrums arrived a month early. Usually it would the C's in February when they take that long West coast trip. I think it is because our sked this year was so front loaded. That and we went through a grueling 26 game playoff campaign that paid us handsomely. I don't like the fact that we have lost our conference lead to Cleveland but we have to learn we struggle.
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 01:48:10 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
I can't remember whether it was Bucher or Stein on the Simmons podcast the other day that said the Celtics haven't held a practice in a month. They've simply been too busy playing too many games and need the rest on off days. I think this is a big deal and nobody is talking about it.

In the next couple of weeks, the schedule slows down a bit and they should set some practice time where they can really regroup and refocus.

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 01:58:54 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Here is what I don't get. While I know we may have played a few more games than most of the other teams, why are the Celtics the only team that is tired? And, up until the last few weeks, the C's had played a ton of home games versus road games. Every team is tired. The only thing I get tierd of is excuses being made for a team playing poor basketball at the moment.

As for adding someone, if this team does not adda solid bench player or two, it has no chance of making it out of the east.

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 02:09:23 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
Here is what I don't get. While I know we may have played a few more games than most of the other teams, why are the Celtics the only team that is tired? And, up until the last few weeks, the C's had played a ton of home games versus road games. Every team is tired. The only thing I get tierd of is excuses being made for a team playing poor basketball at the moment.

As for adding someone, if this team does not adda solid bench player or two, it has no chance of making it out of the east.

FYI...the 'Tired' excuse was the one that got used when the Bird era teams started to decline -- with Tommy leading the way talking about 'old legs'. 

Hurt maybe....bench playing like crap...absolutely....tired...give me a break.

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 06:11:13 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5

From my perspective, the problem isn't being tired - at least not physically (though I will say that less downtime between games can cause mental fatigue). The bigger problem that I latched onto was that they simply haven't had time to practice - they've been too busy. When you go without practice for a month, even though playing games, you tend to lose sharpness. A few practices would really help sharpen the defensive rotations and refocus on the basics that have made them successful.