Author Topic: Irving again throws young teammates under the bus  (Read 7130 times)

Re: Irving again throws young teammates under the bus
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2019, 04:31:45 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
He’s not wrong. Pierce, KG and Ray all said it was easier to sacrifice for the team when older; they wouldn’t have been ready to do it. Bosh talked about his struggles as a third fiddle.

Young guys, by and large, don’t have the patience to “wait their turn”. That’s both good and bad, depending upon whether the guys can fit within the team.

I mean, Jaylen would probably be having a better statistical year if he wasn’t giving up minutes to Hayward. Do you think he’s unaware of that? And on a lot of nights, that sacrifice might even hurt the team. It takes a ton of maturity to stick to a defined role when you know you can do more.

There is a difference between not being wrong and not being a dikk.

You could be right but do it the correct way (team sport)

Use WE. We have ways to go. We are trying to figure it out. We will make it work

Not ... those young guys... man, they have alot to learn.  I have to try to understand type response

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2019, 04:31:52 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1415
  • Let's Go Celtics!
He’s not wrong. Pierce, KG and Ray all said it was easier to sacrifice for the team when older; they wouldn’t have been ready to do it. Bosh talked about his struggles as a third fiddle.

Young guys, by and large, don’t have the patience to “wait their turn”. That’s both good and bad, depending upon whether the guys can fit within the team.

I mean, Jaylen would probably be having a better statistical year if he wasn’t giving up minutes to Hayward. Do you think he’s unaware of that? And on a lot of nights, that sacrifice might even hurt the team. It takes a ton of maturity to stick to a defined role when you know you can do more.

Exactly. And that's what he's saying essentially: "Our locker room is full of young guys who want to do more. I'm 26 going into my prime, I'd love to play more minutes and put up more stats and Terry would probably love to start coming off the playoff performance he had. But we have bigger goals in mind." I think anyone taking another meaning from that is doing so simply because they want him to be a villain.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2019, 04:33:54 PM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
I think he says things without thinking too much and then he realizes he didn’t say things exactly the way he meant them and tried to fix them and creates even a bigger mess... at this point we shouldn’t care whether he stays or not. If he wins us a game or two in the playoffs fine... if he doesn’t win us a game or two in the playoffs we might be better off without him
I think all of Kyrie doubters will sing a different tune in the playoffs. I vividly remember the 2017 conference finals against the Cavs. He averaged 26 points (alongside Lebron and Love who averaged 30 and 22) on insane splits - 62/50/92. He also had a 42 point outburst in one game. I remember how helpless I felt watching our team trying to defenx him. And that was against Bradley and Smart, who are no slouches on defense. You think Bledsoe or Lowry can defend him?

After we pulled that Game 3 out of our butts with the Avery Bradley bounce-around buzzer-beater, we were up again in the 2nd half in Game 4 with a real chance to tie the series without IT.

I remember distinctly that as we clung to the lead it wasn't LeBron I was scared of, it was Kyrie. Sure enough he took over, dropped 19 pts in the last 5 minutes of the 3rd and it was game over. Guy is an absolute beast when it matters most.
Exactly! That's what people are forgetting. The sixers dont have that type of closer (Butler? Please....). Giannis scares me, but his lack of shot is still a big liability. The refs tend to swallow their whistles a bit in the playoffs. Only player like that in the east is Kawhi. It's a luxury to have Kyrie

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2019, 04:37:35 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I think he says things without thinking too much and then he realizes he didn’t say things exactly the way he meant them and tried to fix them and creates even a bigger mess... at this point we shouldn’t care whether he stays or not. If he wins us a game or two in the playoffs fine... if he doesn’t win us a game or two in the playoffs we might be better off without him
I think all of Kyrie doubters will sing a different tune in the playoffs. I vividly remember the 2017 conference finals against the Cavs. He averaged 26 points (alongside Lebron and Love who averaged 30 and 22) on insane splits - 62/50/92. And that was against Bradley and Smart, who are no slouches on defense. He can slice up any defense.

No offense but you are a win goldigger

So basically he can say anything, act however, ruffle feathers..basically do no wrong

Because he is a playoff warrior?

Umm no thanks
What does that even mean? I never said that he can do anything, I just think you guys are spending way too much time analyzing what he said and what he may or may not have meant. You sound like my girlfriend. And yes, players like him, a 'playoff warrior, dont grow on trees, and every title teams needs at least one. That Cavs team last year was reaaaally bad and we couldnt bring it home against them, with HCA. We're not going far without him and if that means we have to tolerate *some* stupid things that he says, so be it. It's like dating a supermodel - you are aware she is probably not very smart or nice, but you accept that because her beauty outweighs it.

You must be jokin?

Well this is why I dont get where you are coming from... I would never do that
It's just an analogy...
How about addressing my other points? Like the inability to close out a really bad team.

Did last season playoffs not count?

Did the team not get to the ecf? If it had a healthy Hayward ... Celts make it to the finals

Kyrie thus far this season as the ultimate closer is like 500. Yes vs the Raptors. No vs GSW. No vs Lakers. Etc.

That game winning shot vs gsw was done once.  Cant keep using this to declare Irving as a ultimate closer

Robert Horry, Michael Jordan, Kevin Durant, Ginobelli are ultimate closers. Kyrie not just yet

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2019, 04:39:52 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
He literally uses himself and not playing as many minutes as he wanted early on as an example after that part. Basic comprehension.

Hmm... I'm trying to figure out just when it was during Kyrie's career that he "wasn't playing as many minutes as he wanted":

2011-12  30.5 mpg
2012-13  34.7 mpg
2013-14  35.2 mpg
2014-15  36.4 mpg
2015-16  31.5 mpg
2016-17  35.1 mpg
2017-18  32.2 mpg
2018-19  32.5 mpg

Games played:  488
Games started:  488
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2019, 04:42:00 PM »

Offline C3LTSF4N

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
I think all of Kyrie doubters will sing a different tune in the playoffs. I vividly remember the 2017 conference finals against the Cavs. He averaged 26 points (alongside Lebron and Love who averaged 30 and 22) on insane splits - 62/50/92. And that was against Bradley and Smart, who are no slouches on defense. He can slice up any defense.

So basically he can say anything, act however, ruffle feathers..basically do no wrong

Umm no thanks
What does that even mean? I never said that he can do anything, I just think you guys are spending way too much time analyzing what he said and what he may or may not have meant. You sound like my girlfriend. And yes, players like him, a 'playoff warrior, dont grow on trees, and every title teams needs at least one. That Cavs team last year was reaaaally bad and we couldnt bring it home against them, with HCA. We're not going far without him and if that means we have to tolerate *some* stupid things that he says, so be it. It's like dating a supermodel - you are aware she is probably not very smart or nice, but you accept that because her beauty outweighs it.

You must be jokin?

It's just an analogy...
How about addressing my other points? Like the inability to close out a really bad team.

Did the team not get to the ecf? If it had a healthy Hayward ... Celts make it to the finals

Kyrie thus far this season as the ultimate closer is like 500. Yes vs the Raptors. No vs GSW. No vs Lakers. Etc.

That game winning shot vs gsw was done once.  Cant keep using this to declare Irving as a ultimate closer

Robert Horry, Michael Jordan, Kevin Durant, Ginobelli are ultimate closers. Kyrie not just yet

Kyrie made a layup with seconds left in the lakers game.  Rondo just happened to get the rebound for the game winner.

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2019, 04:42:28 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Exactly. And that's what he's saying essentially: "Our locker room is full of young guys who want to do more. I'm 26 going into my prime, I'd love to play more minutes and put up more stats and Terry would probably love to start coming off the playoff performance he had. But we have bigger goals in mind." I think anyone taking another meaning from that is doing so simply because they want him to be a villain.

Ok you want to spin this somehow positively...fine

But why the heck say this to the media? What is the point?

How does the team benefit from this?

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2019, 04:42:32 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Wether or not Kyrie stays....rozier gotta go.

There is no doubt locker room Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. is coming from him

« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2019, 04:43:47 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2956
Lol I didn’t even have to look at the OP to know who started this thread; I just needed to read the title.  ;D

Yet, while Kyrie isn’t wrong, he does talk too much. He’s not nearly as eloquent as he thinks he is, and most of what he says seems to come off wrong and not how he was intending.

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2019, 04:44:39 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!
He literally uses himself and not playing as many minutes as he wanted early on as an example after that part. Basic comprehension.

Hmm... I'm trying to figure out just when it was during Kyrie's career that he "wasn't playing as many minutes as he wanted":

2011-12  30.5 mpg
2012-13  34.7 mpg
2013-14  35.2 mpg
2014-15  36.4 mpg
2015-16  31.5 mpg
2016-17  35.1 mpg
2017-18  32.2 mpg
2018-19  32.5 mpg

This season, man. This season. This entire board has complained about Brad micromanaging minutes.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2019, 04:46:36 PM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74

Umm no thanks

You must be jokin?

It's just an analogy...

No it did not count. Only thing that counts for Boston is a title. They failed. He had one of his few off games against the Warriors (why are you even bringing up the Lakers, it's not like they're contenders). He had great games against the Raptors 2x, Bucks and Sixers. Dont act like those guys never had off games in the REGULAR season. This is reality, not 2k. Also, bringing up Horry in the same sentence as Irving is a bit disrespectful.

« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2019, 04:47:08 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Rajon Rondo was even worse with the media.

...and despite being a 4X all-star, most of the league wouldn't take him for free.

I'm confused.  Has Rondo ever said anything that could be construed as disrupting to his teammates?  I know he's clashed with a couple of media personalities and clearly he and Carlysle clearly didn't get along.   But has there ever been anything actually negative in the press between him and one of his teammates?

And as for your latter comment, it's hard to know what "most of the league" would do, but 7 of the 30 NBA teams have variously paid Rondo several multi-million dollar contracts.  He's currently getting paid $9M.

I apologize.  Why is Rondo even a topic in this thread?
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2019, 04:47:43 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I don't have any issues with what Kyrie said.  None at all.

« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2019, 04:47:44 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Umm no thanks

You must be jokin?

It's just an analogy...

As long as people keep hyping up the young guys not getting to the Finals in a playoffs where we went 1-7 on the road, I think he can use the Kyrie/GSW shot.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2019, 04:55:30 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

2011-12  30.5 mpg
2012-13  34.7 mpg
2013-14  35.2 mpg
2014-15  36.4 mpg
2015-16  31.5 mpg
2016-17  35.1 mpg
2017-18  32.2 mpg
2018-19  32.5 mpg

This season, man. This season. This entire board has complained about Brad micromanaging minutes.

So ... Kyrie, getting the most minutes per game of anyone on this roster -- slightly up from the year before and down by just over a minute from his career average of 33.8 mpg -- is "empathizing" with guys who saw their minutes cut by about 1/3 ?

Okay then.