Author Topic: I’m Moving On. AD Doesn’t Want BOS & Trading Tatum For A Rental Would Be Idiotic  (Read 28354 times)

Offline C3LTSF4N

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
Remember how mad people were when Danny traded the number 1 pick in the draft for a first rounder and drafted Tatum instead of Fultz?  That was funny.
I remember the threads and posts on Celtics blog where fans were convinced Ainge was making a huge mistake trying to trade for KG, who didn't want to be here, while possibly including two 1st rounders, Al Jefferson(who most fans were convinced would be an All-Star/All-NBA player for years), Gerald Green, Ryan Gomes and others.

I remember how convinced people were that we couldn't give up Jefferson for a player like KG who didn't want to be here.

But then Ainge shipped off Wally Szczerbiak(a player KG HATED) and parts for Ray Allen.

And then KG said sure to Boston and signed the extend and trade extension and the trade was made.

Then the Celtics went 29-3. Then 66-16

Then they were world champs.

Then no one cared about Al Jefferson, Gerald Green, Ryan Gomes or those two draft picks ever again.

Good times.

so you are saying KG agreed to an extension before the trade. Will AD agree to an extension before the trade?
No he won't. It would cost him tons of cash if he did that.

Gotta remember, wherever Davis ends up, his next contracts are going to be 2 one year deals followed by a 4 or 5 year max contract at 35% of the salary cap.  That is his future.

So there won't be a long term extension for Davis for about 3 years.

If money is the main concern for Davis, then why doesn't he stay in New Orleans where he can sign an extension of $230 million over 5 years?
He said yesterday (or whenever it was) at all-star weekend that it’s only about winning.  Small market, big market he doesn’t care.  I’ve also seen him say in the past it’s not about money.  He always talks about wanting to win.  Money is not the main concern. 

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Smart and Jaylen plus picks for AD?

Or Tatum and picks for AD?

You guys choose.

I think the Celts are better off keeping Smart and Jaylen.
Keeping Smart and Jaylen gives the Celts more depth.

Jayson Tatum and Kyrie Irving are my two favorite Celtic players right now.
I really hate to see Tatum go.
But I think what's best for the team is more important.

I'd be ecstatic if the Celts keep Tatum and the Celts add AD.
But I think the Celts would lose their depth if the Pels will ask for Smart and Jaylen.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Remember how mad people were when Danny traded the number 1 pick in the draft for a first rounder and drafted Tatum instead of Fultz?  That was funny.
I remember the threads and posts on Celtics blog where fans were convinced Ainge was making a huge mistake trying to trade for KG, who didn't want to be here, while possibly including two 1st rounders, Al Jefferson(who most fans were convinced would be an All-Star/All-NBA player for years), Gerald Green, Ryan Gomes and others.

I remember how convinced people were that we couldn't give up Jefferson for a player like KG who didn't want to be here.

But then Ainge shipped off Wally Szczerbiak(a player KG HATED) and parts for Ray Allen.

And then KG said sure to Boston and signed the extend and trade extension and the trade was made.

Then no one cared about Al Jefferson, Gerald Green, Ryan Gomes or those two draft picks ever again.

Good times.

so you are saying KG agreed to an extension before the trade. Will AD agree to an extension before the trade?

Gotta remember, wherever Davis ends up, his next contracts are going to be 2 one year deals followed by a 4 or 5 year max contract at 35% of the salary cap.  That is his future.

If money is the main concern for Davis, then why doesn't he stay in New Orleans where he can sign an extension of $230 million over 5 years?
Because, as explained by O'Connor, yes he walked away from New Orleans and the $266 million over 6 years, but, there is a scenario where he can get out of New Orleans to a team he wants to play for and if his contracts are handled properly, he can still get about $252 million over the same period.

It's called minimization of loss. He gets out of New Orleans but at a cost of only $2.5 million a year over those years.

My numbers above might be off slightly but they are close.

Offline MichiganAdam

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16

You guys choose.

Tatum is certainly the best player and potential of the three, but not better than the 2 combined.  There is a fine line in the NBA that 1 player can make such a difference, but AD can tell us all about not surrounding those players with a winning team...

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Maybe Ainge has another trick up his sleeve (hence another player) he thinks he can acquire that would help entice Davis to stay in Boston.

That's the only thing I can think of as to why he'd make such a big risk.

If he can include Hayward in a trade for Davis and Horford opts out, does that leave us with enough cap space to get Durant? 8)

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

You guys choose.

But I think the Celts would lose their depth if the Pels will ask for Smart and Jaylen.

I would ship Smart out in a heartbeat. Can't stand those ill-advised 3s he takes.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

You guys choose.

I would ship Smart out in a heartbeat. Can't stand those ill-advised 3s he takes.
Jeesh
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361

You guys choose.

The funny thing is I would probably ship out Jaylen before Smart...I feel like Smart is the beating heart of our team and gives us our identity. Obviously Jaylen wins hands-down from a stats point of view but I like Smart's intangibles and his never say die attitude, he's the kind of guy I would want when we need to get a stop. Whether we get AD or not I feel like the team has tons of scoring anyway, we don't need Smart to contribute in those areas.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

You guys choose.

The funny thing is I would probably ship out Jaylen before Smart...I feel like Smart is the beating heart of our team and gives us our identity. Obviously Jaylen wins hands-down from a stats point of view but I like Smart's intangibles and his never say die attitude, he's the kind of guy I would want when we need to get a stop. Whether we get AD or not I feel like the team has tons of scoring anyway, we don't need Smart to contribute in those areas.
if Ainge trades Tatum for Davis, what's your thoughts on Brown for Bradley Beal? Washington could look at blowing it up for a youth movement and browns gonna want to get paid soon...

We can just go all in with 25 year old Beal who's the same age as kyrie and davis

Kyrie/beal/Davis is a heck of a core. That core could have a championship window of 5-9 years

The problem is we probably don't have money left cuz we have hayward. So the core is probably kyrie/hayward/Davis with the hoped hayward brings back most of his former  self

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

You guys choose.

Smart is probably as good this year as he will ever get. He might have some slight upside but he is getting to the point where he will peak rather soon. Jaylen has Jimmy Butler in Chicago upside. I think you need to keep Jaylen and continue to develop him, especially if Tatum is gone. The only other player on the Celtics with upside anywhere near Tatum's is Brown. So if someone has to go with Tatum, I would keep Brown over Smart. Smart is a five year vet. How good will Jaylen be in 2 years when he is a 5 year vet?

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361

You guys choose.

if Ainge trades Tatum for Davis, what's your thoughts on Brown for Bradley Beal? Washington could look at blowing it up for a youth movement and browns gonna want to get paid soon...

We can just go all in with 25 year old Beal who's the same age as kyrie and davis

Kyrie/beal/Davis is a heck of a core. That core could have a championship window of 5-9 years

The problem is we probably don't have money left cuz we have hayward. So the core is probably kyrie/hayward/Davis with the hoped hayward brings back most of his former  self

Beal would definitely be an upgrade on Brown in terms of how they are playing today. But Beal's already on $25m halfway through his contract. He'll be looking at max in a couple of years. I don't think we would have the money to trade for him and still have a play on AD. And if we keep Jaylen he's got considerable upside. In any case I think Hayward fits the needs of the team better than Beal going forward.

Smart is probably as good this year as he will ever get. He might have some slight upside but he is getting to the point where he will peak rather soon. Jaylen has Jimmy Butler in Chicago upside. I think you need to keep Jaylen and continue to develop him, especially if Tatum is gone. The only other player on the Celtics with upside anywhere near Tatum's is Brown. So if someone has to go with Tatum, I would keep Brown over Smart. Smart is a five year vet. How good will Jaylen be in 2 years when he is a 5 year vet?

I know...Jaylen is the smart (no pun intended) choice, the brain choice. It's my heart that wants to keep Smart.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

Good times.

He said yesterday (or whenever it was) at all-star weekend that it’s only about winning.  Small market, big market he doesn’t care.  I’ve also seen him say in the past it’s not about money.  He always talks about wanting to win.  Money is not the main concern.

This is why LA is his first choice. When you look around the league, your best option to win is to go with LeBron. Think what he did last playoffs. Put AD with him and that's a monster team.

When he looks at us I'm sure he sees more overall talent, but not the championship pedigree he seeks.

If we trade for him with one year left on his contract in pretty sure we'd need to win immediately to stop him leaving.

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I think Bradley Beal could be another trade target this summer. I'd like to think Ainge has many different scenarios he could pursue rather than just AD.

Beal has 2 years left on his deal and in those 2 years, I don't see how the Wizards compete (despite them saying Beal is off-limits.)

He'd be a great addition to this team.

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I think Bradley Beal could be another trade target this summer. I'd like to think Ainge has many different scenarios he could pursue rather than just AD.

Beal has 2 years left on his deal and in those 2 years, I don't see how the Wizards compete (despite them saying Beal is off-limits.)

But his salary makes matching difficult and I'd be less inclined to give up key pieces for Beal than I would for AD.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

If Ainge strikes out with Davis, and let's face it, that is Plan A and the next Plan starts at around N, I don't see Ainge trying to add another swing/wing/guard. He will already have Irving, Smart, Brown, Tatum, Hayward, Ojeleye. The reason trading for Davis works so well is it is moving one or two of our excellent swing/wing/guards for a needed big. If Plan N has to happen and it's not just standing pat and developing but it is trading for a player, Ainge needs to move that wealth of swing/wing/guards for a big, not just another swing/wing/guard.