Author Topic: Aron Baynes  (Read 4147 times)

Re: Aron Baynes
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2022, 01:16:02 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
I love Baynes as much as anyone, but I can't quite justify the risk. He was injury-prone before the horrible spinal injury, his three point shooting dropped ~10% in his season at Toronto, he hasn't played serious minutes since the Olympics, and he turns 36 in December.

I don't think it's meant to be

How is it a risk? Bring him in for preseason and see how he does. If he does well, give him a 10 day contract and if he proves to be better than Kornet you sign him for the regular season.
The risk is on his behalf. He might be medically cleared, but it's not something I'm comfortable with

Is Baynes how you became a C’s fan?
Bit of a weird question given I’ve posted here long before Baynes arrived.

Not that weird considering you registered in 2016, I thought that was about when Baynes joined. I was a year off. Why do you always have to be so divisive?

How did you become a Celtics fan?
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2022, 08:52:37 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I love Baynes as much as anyone, but I can't quite justify the risk. He was injury-prone before the horrible spinal injury, his three point shooting dropped ~10% in his season at Toronto, he hasn't played serious minutes since the Olympics, and he turns 36 in December.

I don't think it's meant to be

How is it a risk? Bring him in for preseason and see how he does. If he does well, give him a 10 day contract and if he proves to be better than Kornet you sign him for the regular season.
The risk is on his behalf. He might be medically cleared, but it's not something I'm comfortable with

Is Baynes how you became a C’s fan?
Bit of a weird question given I’ve posted here long before Baynes arrived.

Not that weird considering you registered in 2016, I thought that was about when Baynes joined. I was a year off. Why do you always have to be so divisive?

How did you become a Celtics fan?
My initial account was active from 2012 I think. Jumped to a new one in 2016 after a hiatus. Baynes came here in 2017.

I became a Celtics fan because of my Irish heritage. I didn’t have any affiliation to an NBA team, but have always played basketball. The Celtics seemed natural to me - plus, they have the most banners.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2022, 10:00:39 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I watched some of the workout tapes, I wish him the best, just not here.

I think the question is, can he give us what Theis gave us, and is there anyone better available, especially for the cost? I think he's a low risk, good locker room guy who likely can provide most of what Theis did. At worst he is limited from his injuries and we cut him mid-season when other centers become available

Positional Defense, is always what Baynes has brought to the table.  Trouble is Rob can be fragile and AL can be hurt, I just don't think it would be wise to rely on Aron at this point and I definitely think Kornet is a liability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQFUWwPUaKo

He has worked his tail off to get back to walking and the NBA.   My hat is off to him but I don't like the idea of relying on him.

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2022, 10:05:32 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I watched some of the workout tapes, I wish him the best, just not here.

I think the question is, can he give us what Theis gave us, and is there anyone better available, especially for the cost? I think he's a low risk, good locker room guy who likely can provide most of what Theis did. At worst he is limited from his injuries and we cut him mid-season when other centers become available

Positional Defense, is always what Baynes has brought to the table.  Trouble is Rob can be fragile and AL can be hurt, I just don't think it would be wise to rely on Aron at this point and I definitely think Kornet is a liability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQFUWwPUaKo

He has worked his tail off to get back to walking and the NBA.   My hat is off to him but I don't like the idea of relying on him.

TP

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2022, 11:04:27 AM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15
Even when he was here, he was always the piece that could be upgraded. I wanted to replace him with Lopez for the longest. I get tired of seeming him get dunked on all the time.

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2022, 05:34:01 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Adam Himmelsbach: Was told that the Celtics checked in on Aron Baynes’ situation but don’t intend to sign the veteran big man. – via Twitter AdamHimmelsbach

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2022, 06:22:46 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Adam Himmelsbach: Was told that the Celtics checked in on Aron Baynes’ situation but don’t intend to sign the veteran big man. – via Twitter AdamHimmelsbach

Why check in on Aron if there is no interest in signing him. Weird.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 06:32:30 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2022, 06:37:11 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

I read that as they checked on him, and didn't think he could help them.
#JKJB

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2022, 09:18:37 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91

There’s a social trait called “empathy” that some humans practice. He was once a Celtics. The team checking in on his situation may have had nothing to do with the game of basketball and purely been a legitimate concern about his health and happiness.

They might have also been doing their due diligence and kicked the tires as well. After seeing that he’s recovered from his health issues and is in a good state of mind, they could then also see that he’s no longer an NBA player. But cheers, mate, glad you’re walking again.

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2022, 09:48:12 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

There’s a social trait called “empathy” that some humans practice. He was once a Celtics. The team checking in on his situation may have had nothing to do with the game of basketball and purely been a legitimate concern about his health and happiness.

They might have also been doing their due diligence and kicked the tires as well. After seeing that he’s recovered from his health issues and is in a good state of mind, they could then also see that he’s no longer an NBA player. But cheers, mate, glad you’re walking again.

So you have no idea either.  :)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 10:03:16 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2022, 03:02:50 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Checking on him was wise, if they did not like what they see, that is the team's prerogative.