Author Topic: State Your Price for Rondo  (Read 21144 times)

Re: State Your Price for Rondo
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2014, 07:48:15 PM »

Offline TheWatersEdge

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
Personally, I would rather suffer with Wallace's contract and corpse rather than use him(it)in a package deal with Rondo.  I'm certainly not the expert here with team finances, but can't we just amnesty Wallace when he gets to a level of negativity that is too much of a hostile distraction for the team chemistry?

I am basically only in favor of trading Rondo for a young player that Danny feels can be the same level of a difference-maker and multiple time all-star.  If pressed, I would consider trading him for a top 4 pick this year if that's even possible. Players as amazing as Rajon just don't come around early, thus I'm in favor of keeping him and just suffering with our bad contracts, heck we aren't going to be very good for at least 2 years and the duration of these dreadful contracts.

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2014, 07:55:28 PM »

Offline lantinm

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 38
If Rondo is back to being RONDO, then Danny should ask for a King's ransom.  Rondo nearly averaged a triple-double in the playoff series against Chicago and was clearly the best player (yes, even better than Rose) in the series.  I think Danny will ask for a Top 3 pick, another young player, and ask to dump Wallace's contract to boot.  Danny really values Rajon, and it will take the following type of trade to let him go:

Boston sends Rondo and Wallace to Orlando for Top 3 pick, Denver's 2014 pick (Nuggets 2014 first round pick or Knicks pick, whichever is less favorable) Baby Davis, Jameer Nelson, Mo Harkless, and Kyle O'Quinn.

Note: Oladipo moves to the 2, Afflalo to the 3, and Harris to the 4.  With two Top 5 picks, we take Wiggins and Smart.  Also keep in mind that Nelson, Davis, and O'Quinn expire at the end of 2014/2015.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=og9u7yl

Or, Orlando could keep the top-3 pick, take Exum, and let all those contracts expire to build around an Exum, Oladipo, Harkless, Harris, Vucevic core.

Yes, they could.  However, Rondo is already a Top 3 point guard in this league, and Exum (whom I like a lot) is still somewhat of an unknown commodity.  He could be Penny Hardaway or he could be Shaun Livingston.

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2014, 08:01:57 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
If Rondo is back to being RONDO, then Danny should ask for a King's ransom.  Rondo nearly averaged a triple-double in the playoff series against Chicago and was clearly the best player (yes, even better than Rose) in the series.  I think Danny will ask for a Top 3 pick, another young player, and ask to dump Wallace's contract to boot.  Danny really values Rajon, and it will take the following type of trade to let him go:

Boston sends Rondo and Wallace to Orlando for Top 3 pick, Denver's 2014 pick (Nuggets 2014 first round pick or Knicks pick, whichever is less favorable) Baby Davis, Jameer Nelson, Mo Harkless, and Kyle O'Quinn.

Note: Oladipo moves to the 2, Afflalo to the 3, and Harris to the 4.  With two Top 5 picks, we take Wiggins and Smart.  Also keep in mind that Nelson, Davis, and O'Quinn expire at the end of 2014/2015.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=og9u7yl

Or, Orlando could keep the top-3 pick, take Exum, and let all those contracts expire to build around an Exum, Oladipo, Harkless, Harris, Vucevic core.

Yes, they could.  However, Rondo is already a Top 3 point guard in this league, and Exum (whom I like a lot) is still somewhat of an unknown commodity.  He could be Penny Hardaway or he could be Shaun Livingston.

Exum makes much more sense for a rebuilding team like Orlando than Rondo does.

Orlando would have enough cap space to make Rondo a nice offer once he becomes a FA in 2015/16, so they could conceivably get both.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2014, 08:04:11 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

What you'd want is a youngish player who, if you aren't facing LeBron or Durant, would have at least a 50/50 chance of being the best player in a playoff series. You want multiple players that are either almost as good or better in the playoffs than Rondo to have a good shot at a title. They aren't that easy to come by, and most teams don't trade them unless they're aging or demand a trade or threaten to leave when their contracts end. You generally don't get rid of them for cap relief or a group of good but not great assets.

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2014, 08:14:29 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

They have Oladipo and would not need Exum.

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2014, 09:50:44 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346

They have Oladipo and would not need Exum.
Oladipo is not a point guard.

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2014, 11:37:55 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Nothing more than another multiple time All-Star or a combination of players that are young and up and coming + picks.

Or...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l91ISfcuzDw
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2014, 11:48:57 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Id want a combination of significant salary relief and high-value prospects (Think Heyward or Monroe) or unprotected picks with better than even odds at being lottery picks.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2014, 11:51:52 PM »

Offline wahz

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 101
There just isn't any realistic way to trade rondo and have it be an obvious great trade for us. With that said:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=kr5lr53

Yeah, I know. It's way better for us than them. I'd throw in 2-3 first rounders, including both of this years and 2 years from now.

We still have KO, Sully, Bayless, Bradley, Pressey. We start Pekovik, Love, Martin, Bradley, and Rubio with Sullinger, Barea, Bayless, Brewer, KO, Anthony and Budinger off the bench
We are immediately a 50 win team in the east, imho. We are huge up front. the Wolves tank and benefit from our picks while we still have a ton of picks
 Yes no way MN does it. But there is now way I give Rondo up unless its a huge return

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2014, 12:00:44 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
There just isn't any realistic way to trade rondo and have it be an obvious great trade for us. With that said:

Yeah, I know. It's way better for us than them. I'd throw in 2-3 first rounders, including both of this years and 2 years from now.

We still have KO, Sully, Bayless, Bradley, Pressey. We start Pekovik, Love, Martin, Bradley, and Rubio with Sullinger, Barea, Bayless, Brewer, KO, Anthony and Budinger off the bench
We are immediately a 50 win team in the east, imho. We are huge up front. the Wolves tank and benefit from our picks while we still have a ton of picks
 Yes no way MN does it. But there is now way I give Rondo up unless its a huge return

It would make so much more sense to try to move Sullinger, Humphries and picks for Love.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2014, 01:18:03 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

It would make so much more sense to try to move Sullinger, Humphries and picks for Love.

From a financial perspective, it makes the most sense for Love to refuse to sign an extension as part of any deal and to plan on declining his player option for the same reasons that Carmelo Anthony is expected to exercise his ETO.  The exception would be if he really wants to play for Boston in the same way that the Melo wanted to play for the Knicks.

So, any deal for Love is going to be a rental under the belief that you can create a winning environment that Love would not want to leave.

That may make some people reluctant about giving up too much for Love.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2014, 07:34:33 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
An all NBA level player who is under 30 (preferrably a guard) plus the other team taking back at least one of our long contracts to make the money work if the in question is already on or close to max money.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2014, 07:52:07 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

What you'd want is a youngish player who, if you aren't facing LeBron or Durant, would have at least a 50/50 chance of being the best player in a playoff series. You want multiple players that are either almost as good or better in the playoffs than Rondo to have a good shot at a title. They aren't that easy to come by, and most teams don't trade them unless they're aging or demand a trade or threaten to leave when their contracts end. You generally don't get rid of them for cap relief or a group of good but not great assets.

So Tim, would you trade him for a top 3 pick this year? Top 5?
If you had a crystal ball and you knew you could get one of Wiggins, Parker or Embid.. would you do it?

I probably wouldn't trade him until after Melo and Lebron/Bosh opt out and see what Danny can come up with.
I'd also talk to him about re-signing and going hard after Marc Gasol and some other stars in 15-16. Get him to promise that he won't leave under the mutual understanding that if we can't get him some decent help by the 2016 season that we'll deal him to a team of his choice (or at least try).
Of course that's easier said than done so if there are no promises or guarantees then you've got to trust Danny's instincts if he decides Rondo might walk or the trade market is just not there.
It's going to be VERY hard to find teams to give up Love or Durant or Carmelo. We've got to hope the Knicks implode further and Carmelo has a real reason to leave, or the Heat implode and Bosh/Lebron look for greener pastures. It's going to be very tough and I hope CBer's understand this.
The KG+Ray trade was so lucky.

If we do trade him I'd basically do whatever it took to get a top 5 pick back for him. We could take on salary and get more goodies in return.
Move Rondo for a top 5 pick and bad contract.
Move Green and Bradley for more picks.
Keep Sully and maybe Olynyk and let us rebuild around him.

I'd only trade him for a top 5 pick + young assets and salary to match.
ie: Draft night and we know Sacramento has the 5th pick.
Sacramento's unprotected first +
Mclemore +
another pick + salary fillers.

for Rondo + Bass.

Remember the most important two parts for Danny to get maximum value out of Rondo are:
1) His health
2) that he is moved before we begin an obvious 'blow it up' rebuild, because then his value probably takes a hit in our desperation to tank.

Both those factors are still in play so who knows what's gonna happen.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2014, 08:02:29 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Trade Rondo and Bass for a top five pick and what ever else we could get ......if I was inclined to trade Rondo ,  which I m sitting on fence .    ...But a deal involving a top five 2014 pick would get my attention .

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2014, 08:58:13 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I'd certainly consider the following trades, which I think are at least somewhat realistic

Charlotte - Rondo, Green
Boston - Gordon, Walker, MKG, Portland 1st, Detroit 1st

Phoenix - Rondo, Green, Faverani
Boston - Okafor, Len, Kratsov, Indiana 1st, 2015 Lakers 1st, Washington 1st or Phoenix 1st

Sacramento - Rondo, Green
Boston - Mclemore, Thomas, Fredette, Thornton, Outlaw, Sacramento 1st, 2016 Sacramento 1st
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip