Author Topic: State Your Price for Rondo  (Read 21140 times)

State Your Price for Rondo
« on: January 16, 2014, 06:08:28 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
So, one of the favorite debates on the forums is, "Should we trade Rondo or not?"  The enthusiasm that people seem to have for creating Rondo trade idea threads is matched only by the enthusiasm that people have for ridiculing those trade ideas.

I thought it'd be interesting to get some answers from a number of different people about exactly what kind of trade offer for Rondo WOULD be acceptable.

What's your price?

Try to come up with an offer that is somewhat plausible and that is only JUST enough to be worth considering.  I imagine most people would trade Rondo if LeBron or Durant were coming back the other way. 

If you can't think of an even slightly plausible trade package, just say "untouchable."  That's a perfectly fine response.

Here's my offering:

Isaiah Thomas
Ben McLemore
Jason Thompson
SAC 2014 1st
SAC 2016 1st

I went back and forth on the inclusion of the second first in '16; ultimately I felt like it had to be included because McLemore hasn't been impressive so far and adding Rondo to that Kings team could help them finish with 35+ wins, so that '14 pick might be outside the top 10.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: State Your Price for Rondo
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 06:11:04 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
A player or group of players who between them are likely to have at least two All-Star appearances in the next five years.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 06:16:22 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I probably do that sac deal

Even adding Rondo won't get them into the playoffs this years meaning 2014 pick will likely be around # 10

So 2014 # 10 pick, McLemore(#5 pick last year), and a future pick is a pretty good return .

How about
Bos sends: Rondo, Bogans, Clips pick
LAL sends: Gasol(19 mil expiring), 2014 pick(5-10 range)

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 06:20:23 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Not sure why a team with a potential top-10 pick would trade it for Rondo, when Exum is in play.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 06:22:01 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I probably do that sac deal

Even adding Rondo won't get them into the playoffs this years meaning 2014 pick will likely be around # 10

So 2014 # 10 pick, McLemore(#5 pick last year), and a future pick is a pretty good return .

How about
Bos sends: Rondo, Bogans, Clips pick
LAL sends: Gasol(19 mil expiring), 2014 pick(5-10 range)

I'd need them to take back one of our longer term contracts in order to consider that.  Bass, at the very least.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 06:28:00 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 447
Assuming
A) Rondo comes back and shows he'd 100% good to go, and
B) Sacramento finishes with a top three pick

Your same trade PhoSita, minus the 2014 & 2016 picks and adding in this year's top three pick - maybe we give them the Brooklyn/Atlanta pick.

Why for Sacramento:
They've had lottery pick after lottery pick and they are still in the lottery. I think a lot of that has to do with management. But with Cousins, Gay and Rondo - all you need to add is a sharp shooting off guard and a stretch four and that team could be sick. Rondo will take Gay and Cousins to the next level.

Why for Boston:

The only way you do this is if you think guys like Embiid, Parker and Smart, and Mclemore for that matter, are future all stars.

I think this trade is a no brainer for Sacto. For Boston it really depends on your evaluation of the top five picks and how confident you are that you make the "right picks".

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 06:33:41 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Assuming
A) Rondo comes back and shows he'd 100% good to go, and
B) Sacramento finishes with a top three pick

Your same trade PhoSita, minus the 2014 & 2016 picks and adding in this year's top three pick - maybe we give them the Brooklyn/Atlanta pick.

Why for Sacramento:
They've had lottery pick after lottery pick and they are still in the lottery. I think a lot of that has to do with management. But with Cousins, Gay and Rondo - all you need to add is a sharp shooting off guard and a stretch four and that team could be sick. Rondo will take Gay and Cousins to the next level.

Why for Boston:

The only way you do this is if you think guys like Embiid, Parker and Smart, and Mclemore for that matter, are future all stars.

I think this trade is a no brainer for Sacto. For Boston it really depends on your evaluation of the top five picks and how confident you are that you make the "right picks".

no team in their right mind is trading a top 3 pick this year .....

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 06:36:20 PM »

Offline Rtpas11

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
Rondo grew on me... I rather keep him. I still have faith in this club. The Celtics desperately need to find a consistent player at the Small Forward position. Package Jeff Green & Bogans

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=lf5g2sl
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 06:42:50 PM by Rtpas11 »

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 06:37:24 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
The way Thomas has been playing, I doubt the Kings would trade him
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 06:40:35 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
A player or group of players who between them are likely to have at least two All-Star appearances in the next five years.

So you'd trade him for Kobe?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 06:44:36 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I keep saying a trade where we send out ROndo, Bass AND Wallace and get back the expiring contracts of Gordon/Sessions + Walker, MKG and Biyombo.  I don't know that the Bobcats would do this.  I'd ask for the inclusion of picks, but I think they have already given their pick to Chicago.  I think it's the same with the PIstons... they have given their pick to Chicago.

The utah deal someone brought up was very interesting... Give up Rondo+Bass+Wallace... get back the expirings of Jefferson and Biedrins.  If they give up Trey Burke and their unprotected 2014, you do that in a nanasecond.  They have a lot of young guys on that team you could theoretically pick up... Some still on rookie deals like Gobert, Burks, Burke, Kanter... could possibly work in getting Hayward.  Very intriguing trade partner... I just fail to see any reason Utah would consider it.  They'd be nuts to give up assets for Rondo.

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 06:45:26 PM »

Offline lantinm

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 38
If Rondo is back to being RONDO, then Danny should ask for a King's ransom.  Rondo nearly averaged a triple-double in the playoff series against Chicago and was clearly the best player (yes, even better than Rose) in the series.  I think Danny will ask for a Top 3 pick, another young player, and ask to dump Wallace's contract to boot.  Danny really values Rajon, and it will take the following type of trade to let him go:

Boston sends Rondo and Wallace to Orlando for Top 3 pick, Denver's 2014 pick (Nuggets 2014 first round pick or Knicks pick, whichever is less favorable) Baby Davis, Jameer Nelson, Mo Harkless, and Kyle O'Quinn.

Note: Oladipo moves to the 2, Afflalo to the 3, and Harris to the 4.  With two Top 5 picks, we take Wiggins and Smart.  Also keep in mind that Nelson, Davis, and O'Quinn expire at the end of 2014/2015.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=og9u7yl

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 06:53:18 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
A player who is currently an all-star, or a young player on a rookie deal who I believe (or Ainge believes) will become a multiple allstar. Or a pick where Ainge believes he can select "future allstar" player.

I'm not trading Rondo for salary relief.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 07:22:59 PM »

Offline celticbos

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 5
I keep Rondo if we are trying to trade for a star to put next to him. this seems to Ainge's number one plan.
If we are going to build around a young guy from next years draft I would take Jrue Holiday at age 24 and Austin Rivers for Rondo straight up. Holiday is rising and Rivers was a young lotto pick, no other picks needed.

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2014, 07:28:40 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
If Rondo is back to being RONDO, then Danny should ask for a King's ransom.  Rondo nearly averaged a triple-double in the playoff series against Chicago and was clearly the best player (yes, even better than Rose) in the series.  I think Danny will ask for a Top 3 pick, another young player, and ask to dump Wallace's contract to boot.  Danny really values Rajon, and it will take the following type of trade to let him go:

Boston sends Rondo and Wallace to Orlando for Top 3 pick, Denver's 2014 pick (Nuggets 2014 first round pick or Knicks pick, whichever is less favorable) Baby Davis, Jameer Nelson, Mo Harkless, and Kyle O'Quinn.

Note: Oladipo moves to the 2, Afflalo to the 3, and Harris to the 4.  With two Top 5 picks, we take Wiggins and Smart.  Also keep in mind that Nelson, Davis, and O'Quinn expire at the end of 2014/2015.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=og9u7yl

Or, Orlando could keep the top-3 pick, take Exum, and let all those contracts expire to build around an Exum, Oladipo, Harkless, Harris, Vucevic core.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague