Author Topic: Off-season targets?  (Read 21631 times)

Re: Off-season targets?
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2020, 05:49:42 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Andre Drummond should be the target.
How, and more importantly why? Drummond is a fantastic rebounder, but he's a complete non-shooter, not very good at passing, and isn't as good a defender as he should be, despite some gaudy stats.

Embiid also owns him

Theis
Kanter (assuming he opts in)
Langford
Porier
Both Williams
Semi
Green
Edwards

Would match the salary, for the 1 year rental. Fill out the roster with veterans with playoff experience and try to get Theis back after his team option is not picked up. Go for it 1 more year with Hayward, Drummond and Walker on the books, if it doesn't end it a title. Let Drummond and Hayward walk.
even if such a trade could happen, it still does not address the points raised by gouki on the limitations by drummond.

what is it drummond would bring to the celtics that you value so much, and, that over come his weaknesses?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2020, 05:53:46 PM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
Is Wesley Mathews an option?
He's got a player option worth $2.7m, which I doubt he'd take. Not sure how much he'd get offered
He should be considered if the team let's Wanna go. He is experienced and was a decent starter at one point in his career. Guys like that can be very good off the bench.
He's still a decent starter. I mean, he was a decent starter this season for the Bucks (=legit contending team).

Having said that, Wanamaker is a ball handler whereas Matthews is a wing who plays almost exclusively off the ball. I don't see why we should consider Matthews as a Wanamaker replacement.

I like Wes Matthews but I’m not really sure what purpose he’d serve for us.
I'd happily see Wes Matthews gobble up Semi's 10MPG, but no more. Would like to see Romeo get more run next year.

However, if (hopefully not when) Romeo got hurt Wes could take on more minutes.

Wes isn't my #1 target, but he's still useful

Read elsewhere that vet free agents might be willing to take one year deals at reduced rates in order to re-enter the free agent pool next off-season when things are more normal.

Gallinari would be a good choice to bring in on a short deal and see how it goes. I like the Wesley Matthews idea as well.

Celts need a guy they can sub into the 3-wing offense and not lose anything.

« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2020, 05:55:24 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
He's got a player option worth $2.7m, which I doubt he'd take. Not sure how much he'd get offered
He should be considered if the team let's Wanna go. He is experienced and was a decent starter at one point in his career. Guys like that can be very good off the bench.
He's still a decent starter. I mean, he was a decent starter this season for the Bucks (=legit contending team).

Having said that, Wanamaker is a ball handler whereas Matthews is a wing who plays almost exclusively off the ball. I don't see why we should consider Matthews as a Wanamaker replacement.

I'd happily see Wes Matthews gobble up Semi's 10MPG, but no more. Would like to see Romeo get more run next year.

Read elsewhere that vet free agents might be willing to take one year deals at reduced rates in order to re-enter the free agent pool next off-season when things are more normal.

Gallinari would be a good choice to bring in on a short deal and see how it goes. I like the Wesley Matthews idea as well.

Gallo would be an awesome get off the bench. Absolutely perfect bench scorer
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2020, 06:03:11 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'd like to see a trade for Richaun Holmes
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2020, 06:03:56 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I’d love Gallo, but can’t imagine any scenario where he takes a one year, $6 million deal.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2020, 06:17:29 PM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22

I’d love Gallo, but can’t imagine any scenario where he takes a one year, $6 million deal.

Normally I'd agree, but this year's free agents are in a tough position. I doubt OKC wants to pay Gallo what he's worth. He may be forced to take MLE money anyway, might as well sign with a good team.

« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2020, 06:24:07 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Yeah, me either, but I can dream

« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2020, 06:26:52 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

Normally I'd agree, but this year's free agents are in a tough position. I doubt OKC wants to pay Gallo what he's worth. He may be forced to take MLE money anyway, might as well sign with a good team.
FA's can't have their cakes and eat it too. They'll get paid on non-contending teams, but if they want to be a championship contributor, they have to take a paycut as most contending teams don't have much to offer.

« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2020, 07:11:11 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

There will be some good teams with more money than us.  Miami and the Lakers will be below the tax line, for instance.  The Full MLE is more desirable than the taxpayer MLE.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2020, 07:15:07 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I would absolutely love to have Baynes back, and I would imagine he would have interest in returning.

We need high quality shooters too. Gallo would be great but as others said, I don't think he settles for the money we can give him.

Korkmaz is a good affordable option imo, and I think drafting Terry could address that need as well.

« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2020, 07:16:42 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I'd like to see a trade for Richaun Holmes

What would you give up for him?

« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2020, 08:48:28 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Bjelica from the King’s could be an interesting target. Has a non guaranteed contract. Something like Kanter and a pick and maybe and end of bench young guy could do it. Knockdown night man shooter something this team has been lacking this year.

« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2020, 08:56:13 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Bjelica from the King’s could be an interesting target. Has a non guaranteed contract. Something like Kanter and a pick and maybe and end of bench young guy could do it. Knockdown night man shooter something this team has been lacking this year.
I'd give up Kanter, Edwards and our 2nd rounder without blinking an eye. Bjelica is a poor mans Gallo at this stage. He'd slot in well next to either Theis or Rob Williams, depending on whoever starts. If he ever got abused on defence could just play Grant over him. Would be happy to see Grant and Bjelica play more and Semi get cut

« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2020, 09:48:51 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I'd give up Kanter, Edwards and our 2nd rounder without blinking an eye. Bjelica is a poor mans Gallo at this stage. He'd slot in well next to either Theis or Rob Williams, depending on whoever starts. If he ever got abused on defence could just play Grant over him. Would be happy to see Grant and Bjelica play more and Semi get cut
I’m all for player development but the reality is the Cs have too many young guys/projects that won’t get any sort of minutes and three picks as of right now too. They need to consolidate young guys. I think They should keep Romeo/Grant/Timelord and the rest I don’t really care about tbh. Fill out the roster with role players who fit a need. Bjelica as a big man shooter. Maybe another guard ball handler. A defensive minded big.

« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2020, 10:14:07 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I would absolutely love to have Baynes back, and I would imagine he would have interest in returning.

We need high quality shooters too. Gallo would be great but as others said, I don't think he settles for the money we can give him.

Korkmaz is a good affordable option imo, and I think drafting Terry could address that need as well.

Agreed. We miss Baynes’ physicality