Author Topic: 76ers (12-6) at Celtics (14-4) Game #19 12/1/23  (Read 15322 times)

Re: 76ers (12-6) at Celtics (14-4) Game #19 12/1/23
« Reply #435 on: December 02, 2023, 10:59:35 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2717
Nice 10 min from Queta...5pts, 5rebs +3
Terrible 8 min from Kornet...0pts, 1reb.  -9
I like coach Joe, but how many consecutive games does Queta have to outplay Kornet to take over his spot in the rotation?

I’m not as down on Kornet as everyone else here, but he was pretty useless last night.  Does he have tiny hands or something?  He seems to like to slap at the ball instead of grabbing it.

The biggest problem with him last night was that the Sixers were targeting him in the pick and roll and getting whatever shot they wanted. Joe had to pull him for Pritchard.

« Reply #436 on: December 02, 2023, 11:02:24 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3020
  • On To Banner 18!
Kornet's never been good. People sometimes use advanced metrics or analytics to justify some stuff but the fact of the matter is, he's a very soft 7' 2" big who literally can't even grab rebounds or outhustle others for them inside. I've seen smaller guards play more physical than him inside. And he can literally only score from lob passes or dunks/layups. Timelord was similar which made him limited BUT he was way more physical and an elite defender to back it up.

Kornet is fine as like a 4th or 5th minutes-eating big in garbage time. No way he's a #3 big.

I've already seen more from Queta in limited minutes to feel he should at least get some run until the trade deadline when Brad should absolutely go and add a legit 3rd big.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #437 on: December 02, 2023, 11:24:19 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1583
I like coach Joe, but how many consecutive games does Queta have to outplay Kornet to take over his spot in the rotation?

I’m not as down on Kornet as everyone else here, but he was pretty useless last night.  Does he have tiny hands or something?  He seems to like to slap at the ball instead of grabbing it.

The biggest problem with him last night was that the Sixers were targeting him in the pick and roll and getting whatever shot they wanted. Joe had to pull him for Pritchard.

correct. brad needs to get another big. giving us a 10 man rotation and push kornet back down to BREAK GLASS ONLY IN EMERGENCY type use.

bench would be:

PP, howitzewr, al, queta, NEW BIG..............

kornet can join the 11 to 15 end of bench gang.  :) :)
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #438 on: December 02, 2023, 01:22:08 PM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

correct. brad needs to get another big. giving us a 10 man rotation and push kornet back down to BREAK GLASS ONLY IN EMERGENCY type use.

bench would be:

PP, howitzewr, al, queta, NEW BIG..............

kornet can join the 11 to 15 end of bench gang.  :) :)
I'm all on board but if we are getting a new Big, then I would replace queta with a big wing like Oshae or Lamar.

« Reply #439 on: December 02, 2023, 01:40:52 PM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Why was Tatum ejected?

Frustration. It was his second T. He got one early in the game that was very questionable. This one was warranted, as he was warned multiple times to go. They gave him opportunities and he was just not listening. Seemed frustrated by the turnovers, which he just had committed one that had a little bit of contact and could've been called a foul, but not egregious.

I wonder where was his coach to settle him down or cool his head down  ::)
Re-watched it a couple of times. Charles Lee was trying to restrain him, but it wasn't enough. Tatum is a strong guy.

« Reply #440 on: December 02, 2023, 01:43:06 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
Kornet's never been good. People sometimes use advanced metrics or analytics to justify some stuff but the fact of the matter is, he's a very soft 7' 2" big who literally can't even grab rebounds or outhustle others for them inside. I've seen smaller guards play more physical than him inside. And he can literally only score from lob passes or dunks/layups. Timelord was similar which made him limited BUT he was way more physical and an elite defender to back it up.

Kornet is fine as like a 4th or 5th minutes-eating big in garbage time. No way he's a #3 big.

I've already seen more from Queta in limited minutes to feel he should at least get some run until the trade deadline when Brad should absolutely go and add a legit 3rd big.
I 100% disagree with this. Folks see a 7ft white center and automatically think the guys a stiff.  Kornet knows how to play. He'll never start in the league and you don't want him on the court for a lot of minutes in a playoff game but he's fine as a 9th/10th man in a regular season rotation. 

What do you want a 3rd string 5 to do? The guy competes defensively, doesn't commit a lot of stupid fouls, knows how to run a pick and roll and most importantly hustles at both ends. I've never seen him really overwhelmed unless it's against the premier guys like Embid or Giannis. He's a bad matchup vs them. But otherwise he's fine.

And he's cheap. Look at guys in his pay range across the league and there isn't much. What do you expect for a skill set from a 5 making around the vet minimum?

Too many fans get impressed with guys who can block a shot once in awhile and maybe throw down an impressive dunk, but can't do much else.

It strikes me that more often than not, when Kornet's on the floor, the lead doesn't decrease and often times goes the other way. It's a team game, and in that context, Kornet earns his money.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2023, 01:57:19 PM by Kuberski33 »

« Reply #441 on: December 02, 2023, 01:44:43 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

I 100% disagree with this.

That's fine. I'll fully admit, I'm lower on Kornet than most so it might sound extreme.

« Reply #442 on: December 02, 2023, 01:49:47 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767

I 100% disagree with this.

I'm not sure we always consider Kornet compared to other 3rd big men. If you go through the league, I think Kornet may be in the top half of 3rd big men, considering what he's asked to do an how he performs that role.

I'd still prefer more depth at the position. I sometimes wonder if we notice the big gap between our guard depth compared to our big depth and think we are in terrible shape. There's a lot of good playoff teams with as much or more big depth concerns.

« Reply #443 on: December 02, 2023, 01:57:08 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2544

Who do you give up to get the quality third big?  Seems that could be PP or Sam which I’d hate to do and fills a hole to create one. Looks like Banton is getting some more regular minutes.  Can he find the bottom of the hoop?

« Reply #444 on: December 02, 2023, 02:00:27 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Kornet was bad but Queta screwed up a lot too. Several times failed to box Bamba, wad lazy getting back on D. I was pretty disappointed in him last night.

« Reply #445 on: December 02, 2023, 02:03:02 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 371
Last year this is a game they lose and probably lose by 10-20.

So while we shouldn't have been in the dogfight to begin with, the fact that ultimately we are finding ways to win these types of games is a positive development.

« Reply #446 on: December 02, 2023, 03:28:11 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

Who do you give up to get the quality third big?  Seems that could be PP or Sam which I’d hate to do and fills a hole to create one. Looks like Banton is getting some more regular minutes.  Can he find the bottom of the hoop?

They have the Grant Williams TPE and a bunch of future 2nd round picks. No need to give up player(s)

« Reply #447 on: December 02, 2023, 03:32:56 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2975
Last year this is a game they lose and probably lose by 10-20.

So while we shouldn't have been in the dogfight to begin with, the fact that ultimately we are finding ways to win these types of games is a positive development.

Agree,  if time lord and Brogdon out , we’d lost this game and maybe even with them in lineup if they are not 100 % .  Rob just never was right after the knee injury to be honest.

The combo of White and Holiday is very solid and provides the addition offense ,rebounds or defense when the front court gets gassed or overwhelmed from relentless opponent energy.

« Reply #448 on: December 02, 2023, 06:11:44 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
See new posts
Conversation
Jared Weiss
@JaredWeissNBA
The NBA announced that the flagrant 1 called on Tatum that led to his ejection has been downgraded

I said this yesterday.  Only reason it was a flagrant 1 is because he got the T.  Garbage refs ruining the game.

« Reply #449 on: December 03, 2023, 01:41:08 AM »

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 623
See new posts
Conversation
Jared Weiss
@JaredWeissNBA
The NBA announced that the flagrant 1 called on Tatum that led to his ejection has been downgraded

I said this yesterday.  Only reason it was a flagrant 1 is because he got the T.  Garbage refs ruining the game.

All the calls went our way in the middle of the 4th quarter till the end. Some deservedly so but also plenty of calls that coulda gone either way or not been whistles at all.

So yeah, garbage refs. They made garbage calls against us but then continued to be garbage by favoring us.