Author Topic: Why Blowing It Up Makes Sense (2014 Draft)  (Read 10073 times)

Why Blowing It Up Makes Sense (2014 Draft)
« on: January 22, 2013, 11:03:39 AM »

Offline diddybop

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
Unless Ainge finds a way to get this team on track, I think a full rebuild starting next year makes sense for one reason: Andrew Wiggins.

This kid is a phenom. Hands down the best HS prep player since Lebron - scouts are already comparing him to Lebron when he was in HS and the consensus is that Wiggins skill level is higher, while Lebron's body was more NBA ready at 17 years old. Wiggins is 6'7", long, athletic and so skilled in every aspect of the game.

Obviously Boston would have to get lucky with the ping pong balls, b/c this kid is hands down the #1 pick in 2014. He will be a franchise player, the way Lebron and KD are. Its hard to say any teenager is going to be a sure thing in the pros, but he is as sure as they get.

There is nobody in the 2013 draft that can compare to Wiggins talent level. Not Noel, Zeller, Shabazz etc...nobody. Whoever lands the #1 pick in 2014, will have their franchise cornerstone set in place.

Re: Why Blowing It Up Makes Sense (2014 Draft)
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 11:07:47 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Unless Ainge finds a way to get this team on track, I think a full rebuild starting next year makes sense for one reason: Andrew Wiggins.

This kid is a phenom. Hands down the best HS prep player since Lebron - scouts are already comparing him to Lebron when he was in HS and the consensus is that Wiggins skill level is higher, while Lebron's body was more NBA ready at 17 years old. Wiggins is 6'7", long, athletic and so skilled in every aspect of the game.

Obviously Boston would have to get lucky with the ping pong balls, b/c this kid is hands down the #1 pick in 2014.

So there's a player that might be great in the 2014 draft and about an 80% chance that we won't get him even if we're terrible but we should blow it up just in case we'll get lucky in the lottery?

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 11:07:51 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Don't know much about Wiggins, but "win the lottery" is only a slightly better plan in the NBA than in real life.  Those Ping-Pong balls aren't known for cooperating with our aspirations.

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 11:09:12 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Sure!!! Let's DO IT!!!!!! I mean Len Bias, Tim Duncan, and Kevin Durant worked out great for us!!!!

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 11:13:59 AM »

Offline diddybop

• Xavier Tillman
Yes - chances of getting the #1 are probably .000000001

Yes - Blowing it up for the chance at the #1 pick is very dumb.

I guess I just wanted to talk about Andrew Wiggins, and put my dream scenario of him wearing a Celtics jersey on (virtual) paper. Sorry, I'm a bit over-enthusiastic on the guy.

In all seriousness, the 2014 draft is going to be incredibly better than 2013. Much deeper, more impact prospects.

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 11:17:22 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I'm not even sure that we'll be as worse as the Bobcats if we blow it up. Chance of landing the number 1 overall in 2014 is slim.

And BTW, I'd pick Jabari Parker over Wiggins. I think coming from that Chicago area, that school, the history of it, I'd lean towards Parker a bit more than Wiggins. High character kid as well (not saying Wiggins isn't I don't know).
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 11:23:47 AM by Yoki_IsTheName »
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 11:56:47 AM »

Offline diddybop

• Xavier Tillman
Yes, agreed that there is pretty much no shot at getting the #1 pick. And even if we were worse than Charlotte, the ping pong balls would probably get us the 4th pick or something like that.....

But I don't think Parker is in the same class as Wiggins. Parker is a very talented player. but Wiggins is projected to be on the level of LBJ/Durant. It's a pretty unanimous consensus with scouts. Every scout that I've read in different articles all say that he is the best prep player since LBJ.

Not saying Parker isn't going to be a force, but the skill set, size and athleticism that Wiggins has, doesn't come around very often.

I've seen a fair share of interviews with Wiggins, and everything written up about him portrays him to be a very standup kid. Polite, humble, very coachable.

He's got the genes, dad was a 1st rd pick and mom was an olympic silver medalist in track and field (both are FSU alumns).

I'm very excited to see him in the pros. Same goes for Julian Randle, Jabari Parker, the Harrison twins...if these kids are all one and done - which most will be, 2014 is going to be incredibly stacked with talent. Too bad the #1 pick is a pipe dream.

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 12:07:15 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Yes - chances of getting the #1 are probably .000000001

Yes - Blowing it up for the chance at the #1 pick is very dumb.

I guess I just wanted to talk about Andrew Wiggins, and put my dream scenario of him wearing a Celtics jersey on (virtual) paper. Sorry, I'm a bit over-enthusiastic on the guy.

In all seriousness, the 2014 draft is going to be incredibly better than 2013. Much deeper, more impact prospects.

The 2014 draft class is so deep that Karl Towns Jr, a 6-11 center from NJ who just recorded a QUADRUPLE DOUBLE (Pts, Rebs, Asts, Blks) reclassified to graduate highschool in 2014 (making him draftable likely in 2015).

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 12:43:11 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
Ah yes. I remember this thread last year when the name was Nerlens Noel. And the year before that when the name was Austin Rivers. We got pretty steamy about Donatas Motiejunas too, as I recall.

Like nuclear fusion, the franchise savior is always just around the corner.

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 01:33:32 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30

They say this EVERY year.  Then a phenom like Harrison Barnes or Perry Jones comes in, doesnt perform as well as expected and they call the draft weaker then expected and say next years will be stronger. 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 01:55:56 PM by MBz »
do it

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 01:47:41 PM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
Yeah, I always think it is funny when people are getting excited about players/drafts more than a year down the line.

I mean, seriously, what is the success rate on projecting player performance in the NBA pre-draft for professionals, nevermind random amateur fans?

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 01:52:38 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

They say this EVERY year.  Then a phenom like Harrison Barnes or Perry Jones comes in, doesnt perform as well as expected and they call the draft weaker then next expected and next years will be stronger.

Bingo.

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 01:58:16 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

They say this EVERY year.  Then a phenom like Harrison Barnes or Perry Jones comes in, doesnt perform as well as expected and they call the draft weaker then expected and say next years will be stronger.
No they don't.  Irving's draft was widely regarded as weak well before it ever happened and it was.  Last year was widely regarded as pretty deep and it appears that it was. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 02:09:18 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
This is my first time hearing about Wiggens, but if he's as good as everyone seems to think... I hope the Sonics get him.  Durant's still young enough that in 2018 or so when Wiggens is finally coming around, Durant will still be in his late 20s.  That would be a fun rivalry.  :)

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 02:13:46 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Yeah, I always think it is funny when people are getting excited about players/drafts more than a year down the line.

I mean, seriously, what is the success rate on projecting player performance in the NBA pre-draft for professionals, nevermind random amateur fans?

I think you're confusing two things; mainly, projecting individual's performance, and projecting the value of an overall draft class.

You can be wrong about any one player, but generally people have been right about draft classes.

And, the 2014 draft class looks very special right now. Sure, if 2 or 3 of the top prospects decide to wait a year (which as I said before, Karl Towns Jr is already doing, he was one of the few guys people though would have a shot at challenging Wiggins for the top spot) it could change things, but with what we know now, it looks like a draft class absolutely full of talent.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner