Author Topic: 2013 CB Draft: Eastern Semi Finals: Indiana(1) vs Atlanta(4)  (Read 96400 times)

Re: 2013 CB Draft: Eastern Semi Finals: Indiana(1) vs Atlanta(4)
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2013, 09:38:08 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Who guards Wade?

And on the other side who's checking Deron?

Both seem ripe for potential cross-matches if the GMs want to go that way.

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2013, 09:54:44 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Who guards Wade?

And on the other side who's checking Deron?

Both seem ripe for potential cross-matches if the GMs want to go that way.

Its probably going to be stuckey and jeff taylor. 

Though there may be some times where I suck it up on defense to see if Wade's knee's can take chasing ray off screens all over the court on offense.  If they decide to use wade to defend ray that is.  While I know I would be exposing myself a little bit I think it could be a way to tire out wade a little bit which will hopefully make him less effective on  offense.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2013, 10:02:35 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
I think in this series my rotations would probably look like this

PG: Deron (42) / Stuckey (6)
SG: Taylor (15) / Stuckey (23) / Ray (10)
SF: Durant (44) / Marvin (4)
PF: Scola (32) / Brand (10) / Andrew Nicholson (6)
C:  Lopez (30) / Brand (18)

I'm confident with Stuckey playing around 29 minutes.  He has played that much most of his career and I think should be reasonably effective, though I know I will lose ground in the Wade matchup.  I do want to give Ray some run though, most likely he will go in whenever Wade comes out or there is a scenario where we can get him in without him being matched up wade.

I also really like how my frontcourt matches up with Atlanta.  I think that Scola and Lopez will for the most part neutralize Boozer and Nene, but Brand is a better backup option than anything atlanta has.

Finally, I really like the matchups of Deron vs Jameer and Durant vs Pierce.

Pierce really started slowing down towards the end of last season and in the playoffs was very inefficient turning the ball over at a high rate and shooting very poorly.  I don't think he will be able to compete with Durant over the course of a 7 game series. 

When you look at Pierce and Durants matchups last year they were pretty close but it was clear that pierce went all out and then slumped badly over the next handful of games.  This will play out very well for Durant in the series.

Deron against Jameer or Lin should work out very well.

Since Deron has joined the nets, the matchups against Jameer have looked like this

Deron : 34 mpg, 17.67 ppg, 4.33 rpg, 8 apg, on 43% fg
Jameer:  28 mpg, 6.33 ppg, 3 rpg, 6.33 apg, on 32% fg

« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 10:16:29 AM by Rondo2287 »
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2013, 10:26:57 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think this could be the round where Rondo's decision to trade away his 2nd,, 3rd, and 4th rounder come back to bite him but I am going to go with Indiana for a couple reasons:

1.) I think the teams fairly even and I think the younger star power would win out.

2.) I have serious doubts that Kevin Stallings could be a good coach in the NBA, never mind a good coach in the pressure filled, star world of the NBA playoffs. He loses one game all by himself.

3.) Maybe this is wrong, but I am not going to vote for a team who's GM has been MIA since posting his presser. Rondo is going to be here defending his team all day and taking grief over it while Atlanta just slides by another round without ant participation? I don't think that's fair.

Now if Champ participates today this last part gets thrown out the window and its back to just team vs team, which I think still barely favors Indy, but only just barely. If Atlanta had Stan Van Gundy or some other available good coach that is on the market, I probably would have gone Atlanta because it is that close.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 10:34:52 AM by nickagneta »

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2013, 10:31:26 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
I think this could be the round where Rondo's decision to trade away his 2nd,, 3rd, and 4th rounder come back to bite him but I am going to go with Indiana for a couple reasons:

1.) I think the teams fairly even and I think the younger star power would win out.

2.) I have serious doubts that Kevin Stallings could be a good coach in the NBA, never mind a good coach in the pressure filled, star world of the NBA playoffs. He loses one game all by himself.

3.) Maybe this is wrong, but I am not going to vote for a team who's GM has been MIA since posting his presser. Rondo is going to be here defending his team all day and taking grief over it while Atlanta just slides by another round without ant participation? I don't think that's fair.

Now if Champ participates today this last part gets thrown out the window and its back to just team vs team, which I think still barely favors Indy, just only just barely. If Atlanta had Stan Van Gundy or some over available good coach that is on the market, I probably would have gone Atlanta because it is that close.

I appreciate that, I but I don't want to win by default in any measure, I would rather lose.  please vote for whoever you think would win regardless of how much time I spend defending my team.

« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2013, 10:33:42 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Now if Champ participates today this last part gets thrown out the window and its back to just team vs team, which I think still barely favors Indy, just only just barely. If Atlanta had Stan Van Gundy or some over available good coach that is on the market, I probably would have gone Atlanta because it is that close.

I appreciate that, I but I don't want to win by default in any measure, I would rather lose.  please vote for whoever you think would win regardless of how much time I spend defending my team.
As the last paragraph states, I would still go Indy even if Champ participates because of the much better coach and I think the youthful star power would win out over the older star power.

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2013, 10:34:07 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I think this is a fair train of thought.  While I don;t really need to hear a bunch of back and forth, I would like to at least hear what Atlanta has to say about strategy and such.  Even just a singular post on why they think they would win would be plenty for me.  Absent that (and I'll try to wait until later this afternoon), I will have to vote for Indy by default.  I agree, it isn't fair to not even show up, I think it disrespects the process.

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2013, 10:45:01 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

I agree with this. like I said, I was leaning towards indy anyway.  it stinks rondo is debating solely with people that aren't affiliated with the hawks.

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2013, 11:36:39 AM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
Once again, getting murdered with other commitments this morning. I completely understand everyone's frustration and I will completely understand if you hold that against me. I will try to get to arguments later in the day. I apologize for not putting up a better fight, especially against a guy who loves to argue (and does it well) like Rondo. Good luck, 2287.

Hopefully I can address some of these questions later, so if you can hold off on your vote until tonight that may be helpful. Thanks.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2013, 11:50:33 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Once again, getting murdered with other commitments this morning. I completely understand everyone's frustration and I will completely understand if you hold that against me. I will try to get to arguments later in the day. I apologize for not putting up a better fight, especially against a guy who loves to argue (and does it well) like Rondo. Good luck, 2287.

Hopefully I can address some of these questions later, so if you can hold off on your vote until tonight that may be helpful. Thanks.

Gotta say, lots of "murdering" going on in this thread this morning.

« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2013, 11:53:41 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Yeah, I think this is wrong, with all due respect to the Commish.

Champ participated in every round of the draft.  He let us know before he signed up that he was under time constraints, and recently, he let us know again that he's traveling for business and has very spotty internet activity.

I don't think we should factor in personal stuff about a GM when we decide on the quality of their teams.  It's a slippery slope between that and "I didn't vote for Roy because he's a jerk" (which has probably happened a time or two).

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2013, 11:55:42 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

Champ participated in every round of the draft.  He let us know before he signed up that he was under time constraints, and recently, he let us know again that he's traveling for business and has very spotty internet activity.

I don't think we should factor in personal stuff about a GM when we decide on the quality of their teams.  It's a slippery slope between that and "I didn't vote for Roy because he's a jerk" (which has probably happened a time or two).

If it makes you feel any better roy, I voted you to make the playoffs this year as a symbolic gesture.

« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2013, 02:33:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

I'm not finding it personal at all. I like Champ a lot. he's a good guy trying to do this while his football season is getting under way simultaneously. Its tough. I understand that.

But, I think lack of participation is inherently unfair to the player that does participate. Its not personal at all. Its just in game fairness.

Say for instance the Celtics made the playoffs but Doc Rivers couldn't coach the team and or the advance scouting department just suddenly disappeared. I think that would effect the performance of the ball club. I equate it to that.

I understand life comes first and this is just a game but if you don't show up to play, I don't think that should be a reward.

I also think not holding it against the GM sets a bad precedent. If someone doesn't like the matchup, they could decide just to not debate their team's merits while the other team gets picked apart by people which could conceivably help their chance of winning.

Its definitely something that might need to be addressed. If someone isn't eligible for the playoffs over not participating in a presser, is that really any different than setting back a team because the GM no shows for the playoff debate?

Anyway, based on the merits of the team, as it appears Champ will be here later, I still like Indiana, if only slightly and because they have a real NBA coach.

« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2013, 02:38:45 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
So, is Champ's team so far off from IP's Finals squad last year, that a lot of misguided folks thought was invincible?

C: Nene > Haywood
PF: Boozer and Bosh are comparable talents.  Boozer is a bit more sturdy in the post; Bosh has a bit more length.
SF: Pierce = Pierce (roughly)
SG: Wade = Wade (roughly)
PG: Holiday > Jameer, by a comfortable margin

IP had a better bench, certainly.  However, I see the two starting lineups as very similar, with IP's team being only slightly better.

It's interesting how one team is a Finals loser, and the other is seen by many as an afterthought.  Is it simply due to lack of marketing?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2013, 02:42:19 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I'm not finding it personal at all. I like Champ a lot. he's a good guy trying to do this while his football season is getting under way simultaneously. Its tough. I understand that.

But, I think lack of participation is inherently unfair to the player that does participate. Its not personal at all. Its just in game fairness.

Say for instance the Celtics made the playoffs but Doc Rivers couldn't coach the team and or the advance scouting department just suddenly disappeared. I think that would effect the performance of the ball club. I equate it to that.

I understand life comes first and this is just a game but if you don't show up to play, I don't think that should be a reward.

I also think not holding it against the GM sets a bad precedent. If someone doesn't like the matchup, they could decide just to not debate their team's merits while the other team gets picked apart by people which could conceivably help their chance of winning.

Its definitely something that might need to be addressed. If someone isn't eligible for the playoffs over not participating in a presser, is that really any different than setting back a team because the GM no shows for the playoff debate?

Anyway, based on the merits of the team, as it appears Champ will be here later, I still like Indiana, if only slightly and because they have a real NBA coach.

I don't see how not promoting your team can in any way be considered an advantage.

I just think it's unfair to start taking a GM into account when evaluating rosters.  From my perspective, our job is to evaluate the rosters and the coach, but to leave our feelings about the GM out of it.

(There's probably some irony here in defending Champ, as I don't think he's ever voted for one of my teams in the various years of dong the CB Draft.  We normally don't view things similarly in terms of talent evaluation.  Fair is fair, though.)

And, if we're talking about fairness, how is it fair to essentially give Rondo's team a second round bye?