Author Topic: 2013 CB Draft: Eastern First Round: Atlanta(4) vs Miami(5)  (Read 81762 times)

2013 CB Draft: Eastern First Round: Atlanta(4) vs Miami(5)
« on: September 08, 2013, 04:03:59 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Atlanta Hawks vs Miami Heat

Atlanta
Guards: Dwyane Wade, Jameer Nelson, Jeremy Lin, Gerald Henderson, Randy Foye
Forwards: Paul Pierce, Carlos Boozer, John Henson, Nick Young, DeJuan Blair, Mirza Teletovic
Centers: Nene Hilario, Alex Len
Coach: Kevin Stallings

Presser: http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=67441.msg1547026#msg1547026

Miami

Guards: Tony Parker, D.J. Augustin,  Andre Miller, Alexey Shved, Anthony Morrow, Lance Stephenson
Forwards: Chris Bosh, Chandler Parsons, John Salmons, Omri Casspi
Centers: Samuel Dalembert, Kevin Seraphin, Tiago Splitter
Coach: Alvin Gentry

Presser: http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=67441.msg1546964#msg1546964

Polls open at 12 noon EST Sept. 9th. Close 11:59:59PM  Sept. 9th. Here are the voting guidelines for this round:

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=67476.msg1547496#msg1547496

Re: 2013 CB Draft: Eastern First Round: Atlanta(4) vs Miami(5)
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 06:37:39 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
KEY MATCH -UPS!

Versus

Our perrenial MVp candidate Tony parker will be able to feast off Jameer's lackluster defense while minimizing the Jameerkat's already negligible offensive help for the Hawks. Meanwhile, if they bring Lin off the bench, all the better as Tony Parker has dominated that match up as well. In fact, the only time Lin has outscored Parker , Parker got a triple double with 20+ and 12 boards and assists.

Does everyone remember how Dwyane disappeared against the Pacers last year in the playoffs? Does everyone remember who shut him down? And this is Wade another year older and more banged up and this is Stephenson with another year under his belt and less offensive responsibility.

When you factor in head to heads for the other two important matchups, Pierce Parsons and Bosh Boozer, it's clear Miami is the favorites. Boozer abused Bosh his early years in Toronto but since then they've traded punches plus Boozer's lateral defense has slipped and since becoming a starter Parsons and Pierce have played each other fairly evenly with Pierce scoring slightly more but being absolutely unable to stop Parsons as Parson's shot 63% from the field and 40% from deep on Pierce.

Miami commends the Hawks on their division crown they won on a tie breaker... but Miami came to break them.

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 06:38:45 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
tough matchup here

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 07:40:51 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Just no clue what is going to happen here. Wade and Pierce looked real old in this year's playoff and another year away.....I don't know. I like the Parker, Bosh, Parsons trio but after that....

At this point I might have to go Miami because I seriously doubt Stallings could coach in the NBA, never mind be successful in the NBA playoffs. Definitely a case where a bad coaching pick makes a big difference, IMHO.

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 09:07:28 PM »

Offline McHales Pits

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 175
Wow I liked Atlanta a lot over all, but I don't like them in this matchup
2013 CB Draft Champions*: Minnesota Timberwolves
DKC League: Washington Wizards

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 09:32:50 PM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
Been slammed with real work, personal life, and blog work. Internet connection has been spotty - let me apologize to everyone for not getting my regular season votes in - and I may not be able to get an argument in tomorrow since I'll be in flights all day tomorrow and have to get other work done with the sporadic internet access. I'll do my best to get on the phone and respond when available, but it'll be tough. If you guys want to use my lack of attentiveness against me I will totally understand. Good luck, KC.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 09:41:28 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
Been slammed with real work, personal life, and blog work. Internet connection has been spotty - let me apologize to everyone for not getting my regular season votes in - and I may not be able to get an argument in tomorrow since I'll be in flights all day tomorrow and have to get other work done with the sporadic internet access. I'll do my best to get on the phone and respond when available, but it'll be tough. If you guys want to use my lack of attentiveness against me I will totally understand. Good luck, KC.

Because Champ is a champ, I'll try my best to mostly respnd to questions aimed at both of us and after he does.

Good luck, Champ!

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 10:53:58 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
KC and Champ, please both respond to this:

Joss Whedon really only has big budgets and talented actors to thank for his current success. It's obvious that he's a mediocre writer and seems to fail especially at creating nuanced complex characters, and is absolutely terrible at creating worlds that you can just lose yourself in. He's also incapable of incorporating humor into his works. How does your viewpoint differ?

The first person to answer wins the matchup.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 11:08:11 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge

Joss Whedon really only has big budgets and talented actors to thank for his current success. It's obvious that he's a mediocre writer and seems to fail especially at creating nuanced complex characters, and is absolutely terrible at creating worlds that you can just lose yourself in. He's also incapable of incorporating humor into his works. How does your viewpoint differ?

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 11:59:43 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Does Pierce still have a sizable edge over Parsons?

My memory of those Celtics-Rocekts games last season was that Parsons played Pierce very well.

Used his size advantage to score on Pierce in the post. Looked very effective down there but didn't use it a whole pile. Just as dangerous a threat shooting the ball from deep (38.5% for Parsons, 38% for Pierce). Added secondary ball-handling and passing albeit not to Pierce's level. Comparable rebounder. Defended Pierce well. Much improved defender from his rookie season. More dependable defender than Pierce nowadays. Parsons doesn't have much of a midrange game though and Pierce is one of the best in the business in that area of the court. 

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 12:50:01 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

I saw his interpretation of Much Ado About Nothing this weekend. It was quite well done. I thought his providing a back story for Benedick and Beatrice made for a really interesting twist to things.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 12:59:06 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Turning to the matchup, I'm not sure yet how this one goes.

Miami has a clear advantage at PG. But Atlanta has superior depth. I think Stephenson and Parsons will need to log heavy minutes vs. Wade and Pierce for Miami to win the series.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 03:57:04 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i voted...ATL

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 05:44:06 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Why so little talk for such a closely contested series?

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 05:48:05 PM »

fitzhickey

This was possibly the hardest series to decide along with Cleveland v Orlando
But I went hawks