Author Topic: Conduct In The Game Threads Forum  (Read 173107 times)

Conduct In The Game Threads Forum
« on: January 21, 2010, 08:01:20 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
The staff has been receiving complaints on an increasing basis lately concerning conduct in the Game Threads forum.  We have investigated these complaints, and agree that things are getting out of hand.

The game threads are becoming increasingly nasty and vitriolic, both towards the team and toward one another. This conduct needs to stop, as it is ruining the enjoyment for others on the site.

Toward that end, let me remind everyone of the following rules:

Quote from: Celticsblog Rules
  • Respect each other at all times. There is no need for name-calling or harassment of any poster. This includes behavior in all areas of Celticsblog, including forum posts, blog comments and personal messages. While we encourage lively debate there is no reason for anyone to disrespect a fellow poster's ideas.
  • Keep all commentary civil, and be courteous to all. Constructive criticism is welcome, but insults directed towards other users or the site staff will not be tolerated. Coarse/insulting language is not allowed under any circumstances.  This prohibition also extends to any off color or inappropriate remarks. Sarcasm can be misinterpreted, so be very careful when using it in a post.
  • Do not label fellow posters in a way that is likely to provoke a negative response.  Dependent upon context, examples include, but are not limited to, "fake fan", "bandwagon fan", "not a real fan", "hater", "homer", "koolaid drinker", etc.
  • No swearing! There is absolutely no need for swearing in any post. If you can't find another way to express your opinion, buy a thesaurus. Any forum post, blog comment or personal message with profanity, masked profanity, abbreviations referring to profanity, or allusions to profanity (i.e., **** or @#$#, etc.), whether or not caught by the blog filter, will be deleted.
  • Do not "hijack" threads, either by taking them off topic or making them your own personal sounding post.  Generally, it is not appropriate to post in the same thread several times in a row to get your point across.
  • Do not “lure” or “bait” others towards rule-breaking behavior.  This prohibition applies site-wide.  Responding to such “bait” in a manner that violates Celticsblog rules is equally inappropriate, and is subject to the same level of punishment.
  • No “trolling”.  Commenting in a thread in a manner that is likely to provoke an angry response from others is not permitted.
  • The Celticsblog staff reserves the right to revoke the posting privileges of any member who is systematically negating the ability of others to enjoy this site.

Obviously, the hope is that everyone can take a deep breath, and we can keep the game threads civil, as they have largely been over the past several seasons.  However, if the recent problems continue, the staff will have no choice but to suspend access to the Game Threads forum to repeat offenders.  Hopefully, it doesn't come to that, as we'd like everybody to have the right to watch and enjoy the game in peace.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Re: Conduct In The Game Threads Forum
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 11:10:14 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
This confuses me very much. I've been a very regular poster in the game thread forum for years. I enjoy bashing Doc's bad decisions and Scals poor play as much as I love praising Rondo and KG for all the things they do right. I hope all of this stuff is still legal. But I see posters calling out other posters for negative comments about the C's poor play. And I think that is where the fighting starts. IMO, if you don't like something negative someone writes, ignore it.  :-\

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm not sure what I write is legal. I think it is but I'm not sure. I'm not always positive and I'm sure something I have written has provoked an angry response. But I love this Celtics as much as anyone on this site and think I contribute as best I can.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 11:18:07 PM by Chief »
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 11:11:57 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
i love all yall...

*sippin*

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 01:26:08 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
This confuses me very much. I've been a very regular poster in the game thread forum for years. I enjoy bashing Doc's bad decisions and Scals poor play as much as I love praising Rondo and KG for all the things they do right. I hope all of this stuff is still legal. But I see posters calling out other posters for negative comments about the C's poor play. And I think that is where the fighting starts. IMO, if you don't like something negative someone writes, ignore it.  :-\

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm not sure what I write is legal. I think it is but I'm not sure. I'm not always positive and I'm sure something I have written has provoked an angry response. But I love this Celtics as much as anyone on this site and think I contribute as best I can.

I agree.

Attacking other people = unacceptable.

Attacking the Celtics for playing like a bunch of wounded donkeys = perfectly acceptable / understandable / necessary to relieve mounting fury.

I think the people who get bent out of shape about people who are "pessimistic" are as much to blame as the people who overreact when people are excessively "optimistic."
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 05:31:59 AM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
Thank you for making this post Roy.

I have had the issue because it was the same guys doing the complaining when we had the top ranked defense and a top 10 offense. And it is the way that they complain that is too much to handle. I'm fine when someone calls out a coach or a player for having a bad game or a bad play. But these guys were complaining that we weren't winning every game by 20. They think every other team in the league is awful and try to flip out in a close game. Comments like "if you aren't going to blow out the sixers at home, you just aren't going to win the championship." It's like they forgot that the last 2 champions have done exactly that.

It just gets to be too much when people go after the excuse of no KG.

Weren't we still 90-1 odds to win the championship before the KG trade? ;)

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 07:10:18 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

Nobody is saying that people can't critique the team, point out flaws, or express frustration.  Our concern is in-fighting and nastiness.  A lot of what has gone on in the game threads lately has trended perilously close to the lines of trolling, baiting, and hijacking.  Predictably, people are responding to that, and things are quickly getting out of hand.

I'm a frequenter of the game threads myself.  In recent weeks, they've been more caustic than at any time since I've been on this blog, and that's not the type of community we're trying to promote.  People can disagree about the team's play, the direction of the team, Doc's decisions, etc.  What they can't do -- regardless of viewpoint -- is disrespect the opinions of other fans.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 07:13:45 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
As an example of one type of comment that we find distasteful, we've seen a lot statements like "This team sucks, and if you can't see it, you're wearing green-colored glasses" or "... if you can't see it, you're not watching the games" or, essentially, " ... if you can't see it, you're a moron". 

Statements like those all fall firmly within the "Do not label fellow posters in a way that is likely to provoke a negative response" category.

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 06:26:58 PM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
It may be time for another reminder.  At least a couple good C-Blog members posted yesterday that they'd had enough of the perpetual griping and defeatism on the game thread. 

Now I have too. 

Several years ago I started hanging out on the game thread (yes, regular season too) and learned to see and interpret games better.  I understood the games and the game of basketball more thoroughly thanks to the other members on game thread.  Today, and for me personally, the bad now far outweighs the good.  The griping and sniping clutter the posts, while the really insightful posts have become fewer and fewer as fans--C-Blog fans--appear to be leaving.

Some will suggest that if I can't stand the heat I should get out of the kitchen, and that's fine.  My interest in the thread started to wane last year.  In my own mind, I'm leaving the kitchen again because it has deteriorated to the point where there's little to be gained by staying.  Hoped it would be like the old days during the playoffs, but I guess not.  I will miss the camaraderie and the basketball acumen I enjoyed from other C-bloggers, but most of that is already gone already.  Just see the date of the OP to see how long the decline has been.

Moderators, I can't really ask that you do more than you already do, but it would be wonderful if somehow the game thread as a resource and community could be revived. 

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 06:36:30 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
It may be time for another reminder.  At least a couple good C-Blog members posted yesterday that they'd had enough of the perpetual griping and defeatism on the game thread. 

Now I have too. 

Several years ago I started hanging out on the game thread (yes, regular season too) and learned to see and interpret games better.  I understood the games and the game of basketball more thoroughly thanks to the other members on game thread.  Today, and for me personally, the bad now far outweighs the good.  The griping and sniping clutter the posts, while the really insightful posts have become fewer and fewer as fans--C-Blog fans--appear to be leaving.

Some will suggest that if I can't stand the heat I should get out of the kitchen, and that's fine.  My interest in the thread started to wane last year.  In my own mind, I'm leaving the kitchen again because it has deteriorated to the point where there's little to be gained by staying.  Hoped it would be like the old days during the playoffs, but I guess not.  I will miss the camaraderie and the basketball acumen I enjoyed from other C-bloggers, but most of that is already gone already.  Just see the date of the OP to see how long the decline has been.

Moderators, I can't really ask that you do more than you already do, but it would be wonderful if somehow the game thread as a resource and community could be revived. 

This...is some of the reason why I don't post here quite as much anymore.

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 06:42:56 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Now I have too. 

TP and amen to that.

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 06:46:46 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649

Now I have too. 

I agree completely.

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 06:48:11 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
The game threads used to be a fun place to root for the team. Yeah... add me to the group that barely goes in them anymore. Its turned into a pretty miserable place.

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 06:54:03 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I respect the opinion of all those who have left the game threads because they became too negative / intolerable for their liking.

At the same time, if all the positive members bail, what do people think the tone will be like?  There are at least a half dozen members who have commented that they've left.  Wouldn't six strong voices cheering on the team contribute to the atmosphere that you at one time liked, and now miss?

I don't know.  I'm sympathetic to the complaints about the tone.  I personally think the game threads have been better than last year, with most of the gripes directed at poor play rather than at one another.  For me, the only comments that I have a problem with are the "this game is over" comments made at halftime, etc.  Such comments -- even out of frustration -- really don't do anything positive, and at the same time just rile up a lot of fans who are still pulling for the team to win.

I'm not sure what the answer is, but as always, we're open for suggestions.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 07:09:12 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Roy - I respect the job that you and the other Mods have here, and I believe that you all do an admirable job despite the circumstances.

It's just that here lately - to post on the Blog is to me like trying to navigate a Minefield. You have to be careful of when to post, what you post - because someone could blow up.

I have no intention of leaving the Blog, but rather than trying to navigate the negativity, I'd rather keep my limbs about me :) and post not quite as much.

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 07:25:17 PM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
I don't mind "negative" posts, as far as how a player is performing, or how the team is performing, but it's obvious that when you start to attack another poster, only bad things can happen.