Author Topic: Why the Celtics won the Kyrie Irving trade  (Read 16500 times)

Re: Why the Celtics won the Kyrie Irving trade
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2017, 01:26:33 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
The Celts got an all-star and the Cavs potentially got two all-stars.

And potentially none.
No, IT is an all star, thats a fact.
yet he isn't able to run and is rumored to have a degenerative hip condition
But is he an all star though?
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2017, 01:37:03 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
lol folks here giving up on IT.

I hope he's reading this.

While I'm certain that BOS will always have a special place in his heart he's going to light us up once he's well.

And he WILL get well again. Dude has too much of a chip on his shoulder and will only get bigger next season.

While I love Kyrie I hope he's ready. We're going to have our hands FULL

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2017, 01:53:38 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Have to wait till the season is over to judge for me .

Where do we finish ?
Where does Cleveland finish ?
Is Thomas playing in the playoffs for Cleveland?
Is Irving still healthy ?
Where does the Nets pick land ?

I m totally for the trade ,  but Im not going to call a certain winner till every card is played and playoffs and draft is done.

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2017, 02:02:52 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

While I'm certain that BOS will always have a special place in his heart he's going to light us up once he's well.

And he WILL get well again. Dude has too much of a chip on his shoulder and will only get bigger next season.

Didn't you say the same thing about Rondo?

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2017, 02:10:51 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
your hole post is "based" on predictions:

"Yes Isaiah Thomas was an all-star but I think it's very likely he will never perform again like he performed this year."

nobody knows when will he be back or how good will he be. So this can be in range from he will be back by allstar game and cavs will win a chip, to he will be back at some point of this season and they will have to shut him down.

"Zizic because I think he is going to end up being a rebounding machine."

Zizic has done nothing but disappoint so far. His "high" motor was not that high at all, but rebounding was fair. He will most likely be a Tristan Thopson off the bench for the Cavs, best case scenario.

"Last but not least is the 2018 Nets pick. Many predictions are predicting the Nets to finish with a better record than Atlanta, Chicago, Indiana, Phoenix, New York, Los Angeles(not sure I agree on this) and possibly Sacremento"

Don't get me started on the pick...worst team doesn't mean they will get #1 pick, and even if they do, no way of telling what type of a player you get in return, especially when that "stud" would be playing on a championship level team and his development would be seriously slowed down

Kyrie Irving
Who knows what will he and Gordon bring to the table

Bottom line: i do think we won the trade as well, only because the fact that Kyrie is the best player and under contract + the fact that we made a lot of space for our young guys to develop.

Everything else, only time will tell
So I guess you hate Tatum and Brown then?
why would you say that.
Isn't it a fact that Brown would have developed much faster if he had more minutes, on a orlando or whatever team?
Like I said, the trade made a big gap to fill for Brown and Tatum, so there is plenty of playing time, even a starting job for them if they step up.
With the trade, a place has opened up even for the next years pick if we get a decent PF / C , which the next draft is full with(no expert about draft)

quick edit: you can say the same for marus smart as well, so i expect him to excel
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2017, 02:26:31 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

And potentially none.
He is not an all-star when he's not on the court.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2017, 03:17:03 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Zizic has not played a NBA game is  so young and his outside game doesn't exist at this time
At his age and experience he will be foul prone
Isaiah is out, the draft is next year and crowder shot well but was taking minutes from hayward ,tatum,brown-he might have instigated some problems he couldn't win-
semi can be as good as crowder shoots the three,better lateral,more vertical a has work ethic and high character-did i forget defensive DNA
This trade favors Boston in near and intermediate time span

If iIT had stayed and was hurt most of season-the celts would certainly be worse off ,if he comes back damaged and asked for brinks truck next season -that was it

We got a superstar with playoff experience that has chemistry with hayward,younger and just set free.Now with Brad as his coach after 3 Lebron puppets
-A four times all star, playoff finals three times-clutch,best ball handler in league and able to jell with a whole new cast of players

Wait what, @rollie didn't you start the "KILL THE DEAL" thread like a few weeks ago?  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2017, 04:18:56 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton

And potentially none.
Nope still an all star. When you’ve made the last 2 all star games, you are an all star. Simply a fact. You can call him hurt, or declining, or not a max guy, but he is an all star, just like he is an NBA player and his name is Isaiah. Those are all facts.

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2017, 04:24:08 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
your hole post is "based" on predictions:

"Yes Isaiah Thomas was an all-star but I think it's very likely he will never perform again like he performed this year."

nobody knows when will he be back or how good will he be. So this can be in range from he will be back by allstar game and cavs will win a chip, to he will be back at some point of this season and they will have to shut him down.

"Zizic because I think he is going to end up being a rebounding machine."

Zizic has done nothing but disappoint so far. His "high" motor was not that high at all, but rebounding was fair. He will most likely be a Tristan Thopson off the bench for the Cavs, best case scenario.

"Last but not least is the 2018 Nets pick. Many predictions are predicting the Nets to finish with a better record than Atlanta, Chicago, Indiana, Phoenix, New York, Los Angeles(not sure I agree on this) and possibly Sacremento"

Don't get me started on the pick...worst team doesn't mean they will get #1 pick, and even if they do, no way of telling what type of a player you get in return, especially when that "stud" would be playing on a championship level team and his development would be seriously slowed down

Kyrie Irving
Who knows what will he and Gordon bring to the table

Bottom line: i do think we won the trade as well, only because the fact that Kyrie is the best player and under contract + the fact that we made a lot of space for our young guys to develop.

Everything else, only time will tell
So I guess you hate Tatum and Brown then?
why would you say that.
Isn't it a fact that Brown would have developed much faster if he had more minutes, on a orlando or whatever team?
Like I said, the trade made a big gap to fill for Brown and Tatum, so there is plenty of playing time, even a starting job for them if they step up.
With the trade, a place has opened up even for the next years pick if we get a decent PF / C , which the next draft is full with(no expert about draft)

quick edit: you can say the same for marus smart as well, so i expect him to excel
Lol because you said, and I quote, "especially when that "stud" would be playing on a championship level team and his development would be seriously slowed down”. You put stud in parentheses and think that top prospects on top teams have their development seriously slowed down. So Brown and Tautum being top prospects on top teams you must think their development is being seriously slowed down.

And no, it is most certainly not a fact that Brown would develop much more faster on a crappy team like Orlando than here. He would shoot more and get more touches, but playing his role in a great system here lets the game come to him. He can learn how to play defense, move the ball, fit into the offense. And he can let the scoring come naturally and not have to rush it.

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2017, 04:32:19 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Didn't you say the same thing about Rondo?

I don't recall with Rondo but I'm sure "IF" I did post that you'd pull it up for me, Super Sleuth ;).

And Rondo "DID" light us up - in his return visit as a Mav "AND" as a BULL - in the playoffs...until he got injured.

IT will be no different.

Dude is NOT afraid of the Grand Stage and he WILL use that to his advantage.

Hell hath no fury as a Former Celtic scorned. :D

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2017, 04:44:00 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

And potentially none.
Nope still an all star. When you’ve made the last 2 all star games, you are an all star. Simply a fact. You can call him hurt, or declining, or not a max guy, but he is an all star, just like he is an NBA player and his name is Isaiah. Those are all facts.

He was an all-star.

When you acquire a player - either via FA or trade - it doesn't matter what he has done in the past, only what he does for your team. If people are confident that IT will make another all-star team, then more power to them, but I think everybody can admit that he won't be an all-star for the Cavs this season.

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2017, 05:12:29 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

And potentially none.

Actually former All Star. He wont be one this year unless he comes back by late Nov and tears it up.

I don't think we can really say who won this one yet We haven't seen what Irving can do in Stevens system. IT, who knows if he will be back to full strength, and if it's arthritis and cartilage damages like some reports have said, he's going to struggle to get even close to what he was. Which sucks, because the dude deserved a big pay day.

We don't even know what the pick is. I remember people posting videos of Randle in highschool and everyone drooling over him. Now, meh. Smart if he gets a consistent out side shot, may have the better career. Differently the better attitude. This is why I'm not super excited yet about these bigs. In highscholl they SHOULD be able to dominate. They have 6 inches or more on most of the other teams players. Last season everyone wanted Simmons, but I was in the Brown camp. Saw his measurements and looked him up. Watched a couple video's were Browns team went up against a Simmons team, and Brown just looked way better.

Now we haven't really seen Simmons play, but Brown has looked really good, and some times you could see that "IT" factor. Just needs to put it together. Tatum the same thing. I Liked Ball, until I saw he didn't shoot well inside the 3pt line, and once the #1 pick came up, started to look at Fultz. I liked him, but some thing was off about him. Something missing mentally. But he's young and could put it all together. But when Dicky V said Boston was going to take Tatum, looked into him more, and he had that PP vib about him. Again, he's got to put it together, but trainer Drew Hanlen who trained Beal and David Lee said that Tatum was one of the most ready for the NBA with his skill set.

And also, the CAVS are the team that picked Anthony Bennett #1. :)

This trade really could go either way. There is a small part of me that wants to see IT return to form this year, and with Crowder win the whole thing....But after that F the CAVS and hope the never win again. :)

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2017, 05:14:24 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Zizic has not played a NBA game is  so young and his outside game doesn't exist at this time
At his age and experience he will be foul prone
Isaiah is out, the draft is next year and crowder shot well but was taking minutes from hayward ,tatum,brown-he might have instigated some problems he couldn't win-
semi can be as good as crowder shoots the three,better lateral,more vertical a has work ethic and high character-did i forget defensive DNA
This trade favors Boston in near and intermediate time span

If iIT had stayed and was hurt most of season-the celts would certainly be worse off ,if he comes back damaged and asked for brinks truck next season -that was it

We got a superstar with playoff experience that has chemistry with hayward,younger and just set free.Now with Brad as his coach after 3 Lebron puppets
-A four times all star, playoff finals three times-clutch,best ball handler in league and able to jell with a whole new cast of players

Wait what, @rollie didn't you start the "KILL THE DEAL" thread like a few weeks ago?  :P

Yes .When they were targeting Tatum or looking for another pick high pick and before so much more came out of isaiahs injury-I didn't want to lose pick to get that big--since then emotions have settled down-a second rounder in 2020 no big deal-
Anyway KD gushed about how good kyrie was better better than AI and what that kid can do -how special he is-how he makes people smile.-And he was like a kid with hayward
Anyway its done no time to mourn what could have been.
Hope that answers your question

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2017, 05:22:05 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
The Cavs won the trade as of right now, but i don't think keeping Isaiah was an option for us. Imagine the trade as Crowder Zizic and the Brooklyn pick for Kyrie. Danny probably didn't plan on maxing IT so we probably would've lost him next off-season for nothing. It was all about replacing IT while keeping this current team a couple moves away from being true contenders. Kyrie is a young star in his prime how likely is the pick to be as good as him?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 09:24:43 PM by ManUp »

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2017, 05:37:46 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
isaiah out for how long then free agency
they got crowder and zizic and whatever in the draft
we got the all star, all star that is playing now and brown and tatum
we got hayward and horford
and we got marcus and rozier we got semi and yubusele
and we got brad and ainge and wyck