Author Topic: Smart's Shot Chart = Elite Finisher  (Read 7629 times)

Smart's Shot Chart = Elite Finisher
« on: June 27, 2014, 07:11:27 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140

Smart is the best guard in the draft when it comes to scoring at the rim. What he lacks as a jump-shooter he makes up for near the basket. If he can develop a better jumper, he has the potential to become a poor man?s Russell Westbrook, a combo guard constantly able to get his team points near the rim or at the line. - Kirk Goldsberry
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-nba-draft-illustrated-shot-charts-for-the-lottery-picks/

Of the 10 projected lottery picks, Smart was 3rd finishing near the basket at 65%, ahead of Wiggins, Parker, Randle, etc.

Westbrook isn't too popular around these parts, but if Marcus develops into "a poor man's Russell Westbrook" in the next 3 years, this team has a serious shot at contending for years  to come in the EC.

Re: Smart's Shot Chart = Elite Finisher
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 07:30:13 PM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Marcus Smart will be a better pro than he was in college and he was a dominate two way player. Him and Parker are the two best players in this draft. Embiid is in the mix if healhty.

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 07:30:20 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I keep hearing he was able to bully people with his size... something he will not be able to do on the NBA level.

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 07:34:01 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I don't want a poor man's anything with the 6th pick.

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 07:34:47 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
I keep hearing he was able to bully people with his size... something he will not be able to do on the NBA level.

With a hog of this size, I'm not betting against him.

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 07:35:04 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
He's still going to be appreciably thicker than your average SG. But yes, perhaps it's going to be more difficult to do that.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 07:37:39 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

There aren't too many NBA guards who can match his strength.

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 07:39:18 PM »

Offline Celtics PRIDE Never Die

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 4
Why not?  This is not Julius Randle who now faces guys his size all the time.  There are no PG's who are 230 pounds and very few SG's who are even that size, plus Smart has a speed advantage on most SG's.  This is a freakishly big athlete even by NBA standards.

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 07:39:29 PM »

Offline BSeay8868

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
I'm a big fan of the Smart pick at #6 and personally I think he compares more favorably to Wade than Westbrook.  Which is why I think he could play alongside Rondo and excel.

The kid is a creative and physical finisher in the paint, not afraid of contact, strong rebounder, and shot-blocker for a guard...his weaknesses are similar too with him having an inconsistent jumper.

And whether you want to admit it or not, I would take a Dwayne Wade 2.0 with the 6th pick, even though he's classified as a PG

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 07:42:18 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

More to the point, he'll be going up against better/stronger bigs if he takes it to the hole in  the nba.

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 08:04:38 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I like his chances of getting to the rim and using his strength, touch and explosiveness to finish.  He's strong, not just for a college guard, but he'll also be strong for an NBA guard. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 08:46:37 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

More to the point, he'll be going up against better/stronger bigs if he takes it to the hole in  the nba.

compare to other smaller pg and sg, they can get to the rim just fine. He can bully smaller guards and drive to the rim and more likely to draw contact

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2014, 08:51:07 PM »

Offline NorthernLightning

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • zap

How many 227 pound guards are there in the NBA? You know not of which you speak.

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2014, 08:53:55 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

compare to other smaller pg and sg, they can get to the rim just fine. He can bully smaller guards and drive to the rim and more likely to draw contact

Most of them pick their spots or rely more on quickness than just bulling their way to the rim.

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2014, 08:54:26 PM »

Offline NorthernLightning

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • zap

Smart is fearless driving against bigs. He went right at Embiid at every opportunity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0fCnp2oH_Y