Author Topic: Report: Lebron Considering Retirement  (Read 2422 times)

Re: Report: Lebron Considering Retirement
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2023, 02:02:24 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2955
  • On To Banner 18!
No chance he retires.

But I do wonder if he's thinking of pulling a Jordan, retire for a year, come back and join forces with his son somewhere and try to win it all again.

Make no mistake, if a team has a chance to grab Lebron most of them would bite even if it meant bringing his son. Also good for ratings/revenue even if for just 1-2 years.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2023, 04:10:47 PM »

Online CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!
Didn’t the Lakers get swept last night? I don’t believe anything the guy says after he loses in the playoffs.

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2023, 04:52:42 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I don't think he'll retire, because he wants to play basketball with his son.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2023, 05:06:26 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2407
I ultimately think he probably won’t also, but for those saying this is a ploy to get the team to improve how do they actually do that? They want to bring back Rui and reaves (and I believe Lebron does want that too) and both will get a nice after after the playoff run they can let dlo walk but they can’t come close to affording irving even if then do that. So you are talking trying to get a bunch of vet min guys. How does that improve off of this current team? The only plausible move would be trading AD but not sure who they get that makes them better next year.

I imagine the best scenario would be to pay D Russell and then package him in a trade mid-season along with some draft pick(s) in the distant future. They have at least 1 more future pick that they can deal that they refused to deal at last year's trade deadline.

So turning that pick and D Russell into a 3rd star looks the best plan for major improvement next season to me.

I don't think they can do much in the summer. Lack of tradeable contracts. A sign and trade with D Russell is possible but difficult. A midseason move looks more possible.

The summer should just be about retaining everyone (Reaves, Hachimura, D Russell) and small improvements on the fringes of the team. Major improvement would be that D Russell + future pick trade at mid-season. That would be my approach to things. 

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2023, 05:10:40 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
I ultimately think he probably won’t also, but for those saying this is a ploy to get the team to improve how do they actually do that? They want to bring back Rui and reaves (and I believe Lebron does want that too) and both will get a nice after after the playoff run they can let dlo walk but they can’t come close to affording irving even if then do that. So you are talking trying to get a bunch of vet min guys. How does that improve off of this current team? The only plausible move would be trading AD but not sure who they get that makes them better next year.

I imagine the best scenario would be to pay D Russell and then package him in a trade mid-season along with some draft pick(s) in the distant future. They have at least 1 more future pick that they can deal that they refused to deal at last year's trade deadline.

So turning that pick and D Russell into a 3rd star looks the best plan for major improvement next season to me.

I don't think they can do much in the summer. Lack of tradeable contracts. A sign and trade with D Russell is possible but difficult. A midseason move looks more possible.

The summer should just be about retaining everyone (Reaves, Hachimura, D Russell) and small improvements on the fringes of the team. Major improvement would be that D Russell + future pick trade at mid-season. That would be my approach to things.

What is a good offer for and who wants Russell? He was outplayed by Schroeder for most of playoffs.

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2023, 05:12:41 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2955
  • On To Banner 18!
Actually, Lebron came out today and said he doesn't have to play with his son and that it's also his son's choice if he wants to take his own path and do it himself. Lebron's definitely a great father.

As for retiring though, I still don't see it, BUT I wonder if he's angling towards making next season a farewell tour of sorts. I wonder if he also realizes that this iteration of the Lakers probably making the WCF was the ceiling. No guarantees AD can stay healthy, plus Reaves, Hachimura and others are FA. I'm also not entirely sure if LAL can make major trades considering they hardly have many picks going forward to begin with.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2023, 05:18:07 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2407

What is a good offer for and who wants Russell? He was outplayed by Schroeder for most of playoffs.

Who knows. Have to wait til midseason and see what is available.

You don't want to overpay D Russell to the degree he was last time around. Or maybe overpay short term but less years on the contract. It would be the pick more than the player you are selling.

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2023, 07:20:14 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
There’s also the issue about wanting to play with Bronny. However, I could see Lebron now rethinking this idea and feel like it’s taking attention away from Bronny unnecessarily, especially with him rising on the draft boards. He seems like a good dad that wants the best for his kids, so I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s a factor in this, too.

He's been walking back the playing with Bronny talk, too. After Bronny announced he was going to USC, Lebron said playing with him was his goal, but might not be Bronny's and he just wants him to do what's best for him.

I think that's the driving force behind all this. From his comments, I'm speculating that Bronny doesn't want to be in his dad's shadow and wants to do his own thing, and Lebron is respecting that.

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2023, 07:33:38 PM »

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622
Breaking news!

Lebron wants attention to still be focused on him!

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2023, 07:33:58 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
I am starting to think this is a bit more serious after reading some comments from AD and others

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2023, 07:51:49 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Retiring to announce the comeback

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2023, 08:13:59 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Little Bron drafted by Celtics

Bron next Head Coach  ;D

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2023, 08:31:25 PM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 72
What a "nothing burger"!  Not surprised though, so very on brand for him.

The only thing bigger than his forehead is his ego.

There is 0% chance he retires without a year-long, nation wide, ESPN-induced stroke fest, farewell tour.

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2023, 11:21:10 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
The more I think about it, I could see him having one final year as a farewell tour and then exiting the year Bronny gets drafted to avoid that overlap and taking attention away from him. As an all-time great, he's of course going to have a farewell tour.

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2023, 11:48:09 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
The more I think about it, I could see him having one final year as a farewell tour and then exiting the year Bronny gets drafted to avoid that overlap and taking attention away from him. As an all-time great, he's of course going to have a farewell tour.
Take attention away from himself? LeBron??
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)