Author Topic: Report: Lebron Considering Retirement  (Read 2423 times)

Report: Lebron Considering Retirement
« on: May 23, 2023, 11:46:08 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
https://twitter.com/chrisbhaynes/status/1660875267332788224?s=46&t=lGU0TGXtwjkuVuoin6WTNw

Per Haynes, Lebron is seriously considering retirement. A few thoughts:

1) Could be a ploy to put pressure on management to improve the roster for next year; OR

2) After getting the scoring title, Lebron may feel secure in his legacy now, even short of MJ’s title count. If he views two or even one more title as improbable, he may view it as not worth it, especially if his foot needs surgery and is as bad as people have been reporting.

There’s also the issue about wanting to play with Bronny. However, I could see Lebron now rethinking this idea and feel like it’s taking attention away from Bronny unnecessarily, especially with him rising on the draft boards. He seems like a good dad that wants the best for his kids, so I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s a factor in this, too.

Re: Report: Lebron Considering Retirement
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2023, 11:51:43 AM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
If he retires I’m blaming Joe Mazzula.

In all seriousness there’s literally 0% chance this guy retires…he wants the attention that comes with saying that and people to talk about his legacy.
If he were to retire? Good riddance.

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2023, 11:55:53 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
His post-game press conference last night, struck me as an old guy with an injured ankle that just gave it his all for 48 minutes and his team wasn't good enough.  After he rests and heals, I think there is almost a 0% chance he retires.  I do think he may have a 50 game plan next year and he does have to believe the team will be good enough when he isn't playing to stay afloat and when he is, he has to feel like he can win.  So he is exerting some pressure in the Lakers to get better.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 12:07:29 PM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2023, 12:11:01 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Like Brady's first retirement. This man will not retire. That you can bet on and if he says he is, he will change his mind. Keep the spotlight on me Lebron after my team just got destroyed in the conference finals is alive and well in the NBA.

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2023, 12:12:47 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002
Ok bye LeBron you will not be missed

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2023, 12:26:54 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91
I can easily see him retiring in order to heal up and then announce he’s making a comeback after Bronny gets drafted.

1. Fully restored LeBron.
2. Bronny gets drafted on his own merits, not by a team anticipating getting LeBron.
3. Bronny getting drafted per his actual ability probably means he’s a lower pick. A mid-20s pick probably means that team is playoff caliber and possibly a contender.
4. LeBron can make his comeback after saying he never gave up on his dream of playing basketball with his son.
5. LeBron can sign a minimum contract and not strap a team’s budget.
6. LeBron and Bronny can ride coattails to the playoffs instead of struggling for a spot on a mediocre team.
7. LeBron creates a feel good story for himself and the team.
8. Everyone cheers “Yeah LeBron!” instead of “Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.”

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2023, 12:30:30 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1679
His post-game press conference last night, struck me as an old guy with an injured ankle that just gave it his all for 48 minutes and his team wasn't good enough.  After he rests and heals, I think there is almost a 0% chance he retires.  I do think he may have a 50 game plan next year and he does have to believe the team will be good enough when he isn't playing to stay afloat and when he is, he has to feel like he can win.  So he is exerting some pressure in the Lakers to get better.

Tend to agree with this.  He dumped everything he had left into that game and came up short.  Have to imagine the guy doesn't want to think about basketball for a couple of months. 

He'll be back though.

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2023, 12:31:22 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Head Coach LeBron for The C's next year.  :laugh:
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2023, 12:33:47 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
I ultimately think he probably won’t also, but for those saying this is a ploy to get the team to improve how do they actually do that? They want to bring back Rui and reaves (and I believe Lebron does want that too) and both will get a nice after after the playoff run they can let dlo walk but they can’t come close to affording irving even if then do that. So you are talking trying to get a bunch of vet min guys. How does that improve off of this current team? The only plausible move would be trading AD but not sure who they get that makes them better next year.

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2023, 12:51:48 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!
There’s also the issue about wanting to play with Bronny. However, I could see Lebron now rethinking this idea and feel like it’s taking attention away from Bronny unnecessarily, especially with him rising on the draft boards. He seems like a good dad that wants the best for his kids, so I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s a factor in this, too.

He's been walking back the playing with Bronny talk, too. After Bronny announced he was going to USC, Lebron said playing with him was his goal, but might not be Bronny's and he just wants him to do what's best for him.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2023, 12:53:39 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Does he want to win a chip with a fourth team? That could be an untouchable record for a long time.

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2023, 01:05:01 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Does he want to win a chip with a fourth team? That could be an untouchable record for a long time.

I don’t think really matter if he wins a chip as a third or 4th best player at this point. I can see why he would retire

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2023, 01:12:13 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If he retires, he'll come back.  It will probably be an excuse to take half the regular season off.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2023, 01:22:43 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I don't believe a word that comes out of LeBron "I don't know how to flop" James' mouth until it happens.

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2023, 01:58:17 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
If he retires, he'll come back.  It will probably be an excuse to take half the regular season off.

I think the entire season, so he can feel fresher for one last run with Bronny.