Author Topic: What does Portland do this summer?  (Read 3208 times)

Re: What does Portland do this summer?
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2023, 02:02:10 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!
According to Chris Haynes, they're going to shop the #3 pick.

The Portland Trail Blazers finished the 2022-23 season with the fifth-worst record and moved up in the lottery to land the No. 3 pick of the 2023 NBA Draft.

Portland, in an effort to continue building a contending roster around its star Damian Lillard, is expected to make the pick available for a trade, league sources tell Bleacher Report.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10076396-nba-sources-james-harden-to-become-free-agent-intel-on-cp3-ty-lue-and-more

Just trade Dame at this point.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2023, 02:19:11 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
I think it’s clearly trade Dame and rebuild, as I’m not sure you can really make that a contender.

But I guess it depends upon what stars you can reasonably get right now. Is KAT worth the third pick? Don’t think that gets them there? Randle? No.

The only one I think you do it for is offering the pick and either Sharpe/Simons as the centerpiece of an Embiid trade if that’s the way they go. But I don’t think we’ll get clarity around that until free agency with the Harden decision.

I’d be shocked if Embiid is traded this summer. Has the reigning MVP ever been traded in NBA history?

Moses MVP in 1982 traded to Philly.
Wilt MVP in 1968 traded to LAL.

However, both occassions had the player forcing the trade.

Yeah, my comment was assuming Embiid would be requesting a trade. Don’t think they trade him outside of that.

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2023, 02:23:01 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2410
If I were the T'Wolves, I wouldn't give up Towns for the #3 pick but I would offer Gobert for the #3 pick. Gobert would be an interesting move for Portland.

G: Lillard
G: A Simons
F: ??
F: J Grant
C: Gobert

Gobert gives them that defensive presence that Portland needs. If they could find a way to pickup a starting quality forward with a two way game, that would be a very good starting 5.

------------------------

I like what Minnesota has in terms of individual talent but not the fit of that talent. I believe they can put a title contender together by trading one of Gobert or Towns in an effort to re-balance their team. Likely Towns rather than Gobert due to respective trade value.

For example, Towns for PG13. A big three of A Edwards, PG13 and Gobert with Conley as your starting PG. That is a darn fine basketball team.

There is not many opportunities where trading Gobert could get them that type of team due to his low trade value. A trade for a high draft pick would be tempting though. A long term piece next to A Edwards and K Towns. Scoot would be good. Brandon Miller would be interesting. Portland, if it stays in a win-now mode, would be an interesting trade partner for Minny with Gobert.

I am not sure about trading Towns for Scoot though. Scoot and A Edwards seem reductive. Overlap in skills. I like Towns as a co-star better for A Edwards or Scoot over Scoot & Edwards over Towns. Towns as a skilled big more complementary. I'd happily put Scoot and Edwards together but not at the cost of Towns.

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2023, 02:50:25 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I am having a hard time gauging just what level of player POR could get with this pick.  Someone like Bogdanovic from Detroit?  Not sure I see Gobert or Towns.  It will probably be more of a package or maybe even multiteam in the end.  It would have to be a rebuilding team that had a decent vet they were willing to sell off.

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2023, 02:58:07 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I see a #13 & Anunoby for #3 trade idea mentioned. That could be a good option for both teams. Portland get an above average starting SF in Anunoby to round out their starting five and pick up a solid prospect at #13. Toronto take a step back short term but get a superior prospect at #3.

Portland did try to trade for Anunoby last summer in the draft offering the #7 pick for him but Toronto refused.

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2023, 03:02:46 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I see Houston mentioned as a possible trade destination for Lillard if Harden moves there. Maybe Jalen Green for Lillard or Jabari Smith & picks for Lillard.

Build a contender around Lillard and Harden.

« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2023, 04:42:28 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
I see Houston mentioned as a possible trade destination for Lillard if Harden moves there. Maybe Jalen Green for Lillard or Jabari Smith & picks for Lillard.

Build a contender around Lillard and Harden.

Ime would love that defensive backcourt! LOL

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2023, 04:44:33 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
If I were the T'Wolves, I wouldn't give up Towns for the #3 pick but I would offer Gobert for the #3 pick. Gobert would be an interesting move for Portland.

G: Lillard
G: A Simons
F: ??
F: J Grant
C: Gobert

Gobert gives them that defensive presence that Portland needs. If they could find a way to pickup a starting quality forward with a two way game, that would be a very good starting 5.

------------------------

I like what Minnesota has in terms of individual talent but not the fit of that talent. I believe they can put a title contender together by trading one of Gobert or Towns in an effort to re-balance their team. Likely Towns rather than Gobert due to respective trade value.

For example, Towns for PG13. A big three of A Edwards, PG13 and Gobert with Conley as your starting PG. That is a darn fine basketball team.

There is not many opportunities where trading Gobert could get them that type of team due to his low trade value. A trade for a high draft pick would be tempting though. A long term piece next to A Edwards and K Towns. Scoot would be good. Brandon Miller would be interesting. Portland, if it stays in a win-now mode, would be an interesting trade partner for Minny with Gobert.

I am not sure about trading Towns for Scoot though. Scoot and A Edwards seem reductive. Overlap in skills. I like Towns as a co-star better for A Edwards or Scoot over Scoot & Edwards over Towns. Towns as a skilled big more complementary. I'd happily put Scoot and Edwards together but not at the cost of Towns.

Gobert ruins your spacing on offense and can't defend away from the basket. Maybe gives you some extra wins during the regular season but....

« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2023, 06:10:56 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I wonder if the Nets would try and pursue Lillard. They have a truckload of picks to work with
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2023, 08:46:49 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I wonder if the Nets would try and pursue Lillard. They have a truckload of picks to work with
I think if Lillard leaves Portland it will be to a firm no brainer contender.  I don't think he goes to Brooklyn.  Now NY I could see and they could put together at least a reasonable offer with Randle and Barrett, though I'm not sure where that would leave them.

While I don't think this would happen, I think the Cavs would be a very interesting landing spot.  Basically just swap Garland for Lillard.  Blazers get a much younger version of Lillard and the Cavs make a real push while there is some uncertainty in the East. 

The Clippers I think are the most likely, but it would take a 3rd team that lands Paul George and gives some players/picks to the Blazers. 

Maybe something like this

Portland - Harris, Maxey, Zubac, 20 and 30 (from LA)
L.A. - Lillard, Nurkic
Philly - George

Seems like decent/fair value for all 3 teams.  Portland rebuilds with Maxey and Zubac (and 2 more 1st's this year).  The Clippers fix their wing and PG problem.  The Sixers get a legit #2 option that is a big defending wing and bring back Harden as the #3. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2023, 12:56:20 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Lowe doubts No. 3 and Anfernee Simons would be enough for the Blazers to acquire either Mikal Bridges or OG Anuonby.

What? Zach Lowe doesn't think the #3 pick + Anfernee Simsons is good enough to get OG Anunoby?

I get the doubt for Mikal Bridges given how well he played after joining Brooklyn but Anunoby? Are you kidding me?

« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2023, 02:02:30 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002
Our #3 picks netted us Tatum and Brown.

Wonder if Portland wants any of our key players minus the Jays for the #3 pick?  ;) 8)

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)