Author Topic: Could Horford end up being the worst contract of offseason?  (Read 92243 times)

Re: Could Horford end up being the worst contract of offseason?
« Reply #540 on: March 06, 2020, 12:11:46 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
Want to give al credit cause I have pointed out his struggles. He played well tonight. Best game in several months easily

« Reply #541 on: March 06, 2020, 12:30:36 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Want to give al credit cause I have pointed out his struggles. He played well tonight. Best game in several months easily

+41, wow.  Only 5 players have put up a better +/- in the league this year.

Approaching legendary Daniel Theis levels (+50 last year vs Bulls).

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #542 on: March 06, 2020, 09:27:07 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
Tobias Harris even at his best AND with Embiid + Simmons out is like a #2 option. He's getting 180M. I actually think Harris and his contract will hurt PHI more in the long run. If he hits shots, great! Otherwise, he's a complete liability out there.

At least Middleton (5/178M) actually guides his team to wins even when Giannis is out. Harris can't do that.

And of course literally the same night I post this, Tobias Harris puts up 28/14 in a good win  :P

Horford also had a really solid game.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #543 on: March 06, 2020, 09:31:55 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Harry Giles/Len just got worked by him on both ends.

« Reply #544 on: March 06, 2020, 10:49:04 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Horford is at absolute best a 3rd best player type player at this point, probably 4th, but the Sixers knew that when they signed him and that is what they signed him to be.  He is overpaid at ~25% of the cap, but you often have to overpay to land a free agent from another team.   The problem is, Horford quite simply can't play power forward for any extended period of time, and that is what they were signing him to be.  That isn't a Horford problem, that is a new GM that is in overhead and doesn't know how to properly construct a roster problem along with a coach that seemingly can't figure out what to do with his 2 best players problem. 

Games like last night would come a lot more frequently if Horford was playing center consistently as he has been doing the last 6 games (and he has generally played better in them overall).  The Sixers are 3-3 in the last 6, not only without Embiid, but also without Simmons.  If Simmons was out there, I'd expect them to be 4-2 (5-1 would be difficult, but they certainly could have beaten the Clippers even without Simmons).  Horford doesn't fit well with Embiid, but the reality is the Sixers signed him mostly to fill in the gaps when Embiid was out (both in a game and for whole games).  The Sixers on the whole haven't been the complete and utter trainwreck this year when Embiid has missed games, and that is largely a function of Horford.  He has served that main function.  He just hasn't been very good playing with Embiid and frankly I'm not sure they would have been a fit even if Horford was 28.  Horford has quite simply always been better playing center no matter how much he dislikes it. 

If the Sixers get healthy, their best starting 5 is Embiid, Harris, Milton, Richardson, and Simmons.  They need the shooters around the 2 stars and Milton has been playing so well, I think you need him to start.  Horford being the bench anchor with Robinson, Scott, Burks, and Korkmaz/Thybulle makes a lot of sense.  And they should still have lineups with Embiid and Horford on the floor together in the middle of the 1st and 3rd quarters so that they both end up in the 28-32 minute range every game (obviously playoffs that might adjust some).  Brown was given a poorly constructed roster, but he hasn't coached well with it.  Robinson and Burks and the rise of Milton should make it easier for him to maximize Embiid and Simmons though, they just haven't been healthy since the new additions.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #545 on: March 06, 2020, 10:58:35 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
Horford is at absolute best a 3rd best player type player at this point, probably 4th, but the Sixers knew that when they signed him and that is what they signed him to be.  He is overpaid at ~25% of the cap, but you often have to overpay to land a free agent from another team.   The problem is, Horford quite simply can't play power forward for any extended period of time, and that is what they were signing him to be.  That isn't a Horford problem, that is a new GM that is in overhead and doesn't know how to properly construct a roster problem along with a coach that seemingly can't figure out what to do with his 2 best players problem. 

Games like last night would come a lot more frequently if Horford was playing center consistently as he has been doing the last 6 games (and he has generally played better in them overall).  The Sixers are 3-3 in the last 6, not only without Embiid, but also without Simmons.  If Simmons was out there, I'd expect them to be 4-2 (5-1 would be difficult, but they certainly could have beaten the Clippers even without Simmons).  Horford doesn't fit well with Embiid, but the reality is the Sixers signed him mostly to fill in the gaps when Embiid was out (both in a game and for whole games).  The Sixers on the whole haven't been the complete and utter trainwreck this year when Embiid has missed games, and that is largely a function of Horford.  He has served that main function.  He just hasn't been very good playing with Embiid and frankly I'm not sure they would have been a fit even if Horford was 28.  Horford has quite simply always been better playing center no matter how much he dislikes it. 

If the Sixers get healthy, their best starting 5 is Embiid, Harris, Milton, Richardson, and Simmons.  They need the shooters around the 2 stars and Milton has been playing so well, I think you need him to start.  Horford being the bench anchor with Robinson, Scott, Burks, and Korkmaz/Thybulle makes a lot of sense.  And they should still have lineups with Embiid and Horford on the floor together in the middle of the 1st and 3rd quarters so that they both end up in the 28-32 minute range every game (obviously playoffs that might adjust some).  Brown was given a poorly constructed roster, but he hasn't coached well with it.  Robinson and Burks and the rise of Milton should make it easier for him to maximize Embiid and Simmons though, they just haven't been healthy since the new additions.
Quite frankly Al has not been very good this season. Coming in here and acting like he has played ok the last 6 games is complete nonsense. Their three wins have come against the hawks and Knicks at home and last night. They also had a completely embarrassing loss against Cleveland where they didn’t even compete. I find this whole post very strange. You can just admit you were wrong on it? I believe you are officially the last holdout.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 12:47:09 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #546 on: March 06, 2020, 11:45:02 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Horford's decline has been exaggerated, but his style and level of play isn't worth $26.54 million, let alone $97 million or the additional $12 million in incentives.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #547 on: March 06, 2020, 12:00:54 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Tobias Harris even at his best AND with Embiid + Simmons out is like a #2 option. He's getting 180M. I actually think Harris and his contract will hurt PHI more in the long run. If he hits shots, great! Otherwise, he's a complete liability out there.

At least Middleton (5/178M) actually guides his team to wins even when Giannis is out. Harris can't do that.

And of course literally the same night I post this, Tobias Harris puts up 28/14 in a good win  :P

Horford also had a really solid game.

You continue to apply the wrong jinx to hated opponents ...you are suppose to toot their horn ,  speak how unbeatable they are to create the correct hex  ;D

« Reply #548 on: March 06, 2020, 12:04:44 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

Agreed