Author Topic: If not Smart. Then Who?  (Read 3442 times)

If not Smart. Then Who?
« on: June 22, 2018, 01:55:22 PM »

Offline OHCeltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
If we can't resign Marcus Smart, Tyreke Evans should be our target.  He would make that 2nd unit extremely dominate.

Re: If not Smart. Then Who?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 02:34:19 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Frankly, we don't need to sign anyone.

I'm pretty happy with a rotation 9 with Kyrie and Rozier at point, and Brown/Tatum/Hayward as the main wings.  The bullpen behind them can survive the loss of Smart, as much as I like him.

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 02:39:26 PM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
no move is necessary with Rozier and Larkin (cheaper sign)..

Evans is going to get paid and probably more than Smart

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 02:44:03 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
No one is going to have money to offer for Smart.

Dallas needs to spend its money on a Center.

Brooklyn just ate up their cap space with the Howard trade.

The Lakers and Rockets have bigger fish to fry.

Smart doesn't make sense for the Bulls or Sixers. I don't think he makes sense for the Kings either due to Fox in the backcourt.

That only leaves the Hawks. They could pair Young with Smart, which makes a lot of sense. With Evans, Bradley, Payton, KCP, Ellington, Van Fleet, Harris, Exum, and more also available, I'm not sure he makes the most sense for a rebuilding team.

Are the Hawks really willing to invest that much money in a non-shooter? Doesn't he make more sense on a playoff team.

After the teams I listed above, there are no other teams that would be looking for his services that would be willing to pay him more than the MLE.

Seriously, the only team I could see being able to offer him money is the Hawks. Otherwise, either he signs for 8-9 million a year, or accepts his QO and plays one more season.

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 03:14:19 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Smart doesn't make sense for the Bulls or Sixers. I don't think he makes sense for the Kings either due to Fox in the backcourt.

That only leaves the Hawks. They could pair Young with Smart, which makes a lot of sense. With Evans, Bradley, Payton, KCP, Ellington, Van Fleet, Harris, Exum, and more also available, I'm not sure he makes the most sense for a rebuilding team.

Are the Hawks really willing to invest that much money in a non-shooter? Doesn't he make more sense on a playoff team.

After the teams I listed above, there are no other teams that would be looking for his services that would be willing to pay him more than the MLE.

Seriously, the only team I could see being able to offer him money is the Hawks. Otherwise, either he signs for 8-9 million a year, or accepts his QO and plays one more season.

You’ve forgotten the Pacers, who are competitive, youngish, and could have $15+ million in cap space.  They are definitely the most dangerous team in terms of making an offer that Boston can’t quite afford but wouldn’t be a crippling overpay.

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 03:22:49 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Pacers could go hard at Smart.

EDIT: saltlover beat me to it lol.

Kevin Pritchard said the team plans to bring back starting point guard Darren Collison. His contract ($10M) becomes guaranteed on July 1.

“Everything is so fluid but at the end of the day, we said our top six, seven guys we wanted to have back. And then make additions."

Scratch that, you can take the Pacers out of the running most likely.

They are going to re-sign Darren Collison, which will definitely eat into some of their cap. B/R on Pacers reported that they are trying to have enough back up insurance at the 1/2.

Would say Mavs/Hawks could maybe go after Smart, I still think if Mavs miss out on Boogie, they could potentially try to go after someone like Len for a few million, and use the rest on Mavericks.

DSJ
Smart
Doncic
Barnes/Dirk

Isn't that bad of a start. Still they are going to need some serious upgrades to make any noise.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 03:40:35 PM by Monkhouse »
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 03:44:29 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Kevin Pritchard said the team plans to bring back starting point guard Darren Collison. His contract ($10M) becomes guaranteed on July 1.

“Everything is so fluid but at the end of the day, we said our top six, seven guys we wanted to have back. And then make additions."

They are going to re-sign Darren Collison, which will definitely eat into some of their cap. B/R on Pacers reported that they are trying to have enough back up insurance at the 1/2.

Would say Mavs/Hawks could maybe go after Smart, I still think if Mavs miss out on Boogie, they could potentially try to go after someone like Len for a few million, and use the rest on Mavericks.

DSJ
Smart
Doncic
Barnes/Dirk

Isn't that bad of a start. Still they are going to need some serious upgrades to make any noise.

Collison has 1-year left at $10 million, is 30, and is perfectly complimentary with Smart.  His contract is included when talking about their cap space.  The Pacers will not forego a long-term deal with Marcus because they have a year left of Collison on the roster.

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 03:51:41 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

DSJ
Smart
Doncic
Barnes/Dirk

Collison has 1-year left at $10 million, is 30, and is perfectly complimentary with Smart.  His contract is included when talking about their cap space.  The Pacers will not forego a long-term deal with Marcus because they have a year left of Collison on the roster.

Thing is why do they even need Smart? They need a PF to replace Young, don't they?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 04:15:23 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

DSJ
Smart
Doncic
Barnes/Dirk

Thing is why do they even need Smart? They need a PF to replace Young, don't they?

My cap projection for them assumes that Young picks up his player option and they waive Al Jefferson and his partially guaranteed deal.  Even if Young opts out, he’s expected to resign there, and I doubt he’d get significantly more than the $13.3 million he’s scheduled to make next season.  He might get a little less, but at more years.  So, no, I don’t think they’ll need to replace Young, and if they do, they’ve got another $13 million to do it with.

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 06:02:50 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
If not smart then nobody I assume (since we'd be losing smart because of money).

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2018, 06:14:01 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Horford and Irving can both be opting out so Im ok with waiting till next year to spend the MLE jic we need the cap space
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 08:07:35 PM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2018, 06:20:34 PM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
If not Smart then nobody I assume (since we'd be losing smart because of money).

This is not a bad position, especially if nothing is available that improves the team.

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2018, 07:31:59 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
what about phoenix?

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2018, 03:43:40 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
what about phoenix?

They would be a perfect fit for Smart and they are clearing cap space to have 10-15 million this summer. They need a point guard.

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2018, 08:56:18 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
If not Smart then nobody I assume (since we'd be losing smart because of money).

This is not a bad position, especially if nothing is available that improves the team.
I’m pretty sure adding Hayward and kyrie will improve the team.