Author Topic: Advanced stats observations per 8/12 (after 24 games)  (Read 2034 times)

Re: Advanced stats observations per 8/12 (after 24 games)
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2018, 04:00:50 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
Smart should stay in the starting line-up - - for now.  The reality is we have not beaten a good team with Smart starting, so starting him permanently is not justified.

Uh, we literally beat both New Orleans and Minnesota in their gyms with him starting, both teams that had been on a roll when we played them.

Timberwolves are in 10th place playing 500 ball?  Pelicans in 12th place sub 500?  Neither will make the playoffs.

By good team I meant a good team.  Maybe one of the 15 teams with a better record than the T'Wolves.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2018, 05:34:37 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Smart should stay in the starting line-up - - for now.  The reality is we have not beaten a good team with Smart starting, so starting him permanently is not justified.

Uh, we literally beat both New Orleans and Minnesota in their gyms with him starting, both teams that had been on a roll when we played them.

Timberwolves are in 10th place playing 500 ball?  Pelicans in 12th place sub 500?  Neither will make the playoffs.

By good team I meant a good team.  Maybe one of the 15 teams with a better record than the T'Wolves.

Those were quality wins. Both in their house, where Pelicans were undefeated with AD. And TWolves were playing really well since the trade.

Way too early to predict who is/isn’t making the playoffs, especially in the west where everything is so tight (sans Phoenix). Plenty of teams within just a few games of each other.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2018, 05:38:21 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I have been observing Jaylen Brown's defense yesterday to find clues why he's not doing well on that end. And it's actually not hard to find out why.

We all constantly hear Stevens scream 'solid, solid, solid' to encourage our players to play solid defense. It means: stay in front of your man, move your feed and keep your hands up. Don't do anything fancy, but just make life difficult by not gambling or making unnecessary mistakes.

Unfortunately Brown doesn't do that anymore. What I saw yesterday was a kangaroo set loose on a basketball court. He's jumping all over the place.

Some examples (I wish I could video edit the game and show them here):

a) He comes in as a help defender, then the ball goes back to his man and he rushes out to block the shot, but while hanging in the air the man blows by him for an uncontested lay-up.

b) Next time his man gets passed the ball, Brown closes out too agressively, his man has momentum to dribble to the basket, Brown recovers, but then falls for the pump fake, jumps, and it's an easy lay-in.

c) Now Brown has left his man and sees that he has an open catch-and-shoot, he comes flying in when the ball is being passed to his man, who doesn't even have to make a move to drive to the basket, Theis is just in time to block the ball on the backboard, but as a result the rebound is free for Theis his man and another basket has been given up.

I counted like 5/6 times where Chicago got a lay-up, because Brown got off his feet unnecessarily and left the rest of the defense helpless. To me it was also a big reason why Chicago was able to hang in the game during the 2nd quarter. Brown did a good job in intercepting passing lanes for steals and launching the fast-break though.

But this type of defense is unacceptable. And I don't understand why he's so tumultuous. Brown is long and quick, he bothers guards enough by just staying in front of them. Does he feel that he has to showcase himself on both sides of the court? We've seen him being a lot more agressive on offense as well (which is a good thing by the way!).