Author Topic: The "Fire Chiarelli" thread  (Read 13776 times)

The "Fire Chiarelli" thread
« on: March 24, 2010, 01:06:46 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
So the latest news from the Garden, following their proclamation at the trade deadline that they don't care about the rest of this season, and then the pitiful show last Thursday against Matt Cooke and the Penguins is that Peter Chiarelli has signed Andy Ference to a 3 year deal, rumored to have an average value of $2.5 million for year.

For the life of me, I cannot understand this.  When healthy (which is relatively rare), this guy is a 3rd pair defenseman.  He is the definition of mediocre, and he can't stay on the ice.  So of course, lets overpay him to stay for another 3 years.

I had hoped that Chiarelli had gotten the bad signings out of his system after giving Tim Thomas that terrible deal last season.

I am not going to blame him for the Krejci and Lucic signings, because I think they are both just having down years because of injuries, and will eventually be worth the money.  But nearly every other contract he has signed after Chara and Savard has been pretty terrible. 

Luckily, he may save some face on the Kessel trade if they get a top 3 pick this season...but even that is getting less likely as Toronto has been playing well of late (including a win over the B's), and with a few more wins could jump over some of the other tanking teams, leaving the B's with a mediocre pick.  But even if they do win the lottery, and walk away with a star, does that excuse Chiarelli for trading away their top goal scorer, and not using any of the assets he has built up to even attempt to replace him?

Re: The "Fire Chiarelli" thread
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 01:14:32 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
That's a pretty awful contract.  Especially when you take in the salary cap implications.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 01:19:24 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
So the latest news from the Garden, following their proclamation at the trade deadline that they don't care about the rest of this season, and then the pitiful show last Thursday against Matt Cooke and the Penguins is that Peter Chiarelli has signed Andy Ference to a 3 year deal, rumored to have an average value of $2.5 million for year.

For the life of me, I cannot understand this.  When healthy (which is relatively rare), this guy is a 3rd pair defenseman.  He is the definition of mediocre, and he can't stay on the ice.  So of course, lets overpay him to stay for another 3 years.

I had hoped that Chiarelli had gotten the bad signings out of his system after giving Tim Thomas that terrible deal last season.

I am not going to blame him for the Krejci and Lucic signings, because I think they are both just having down years because of injuries, and will eventually be worth the money.  But nearly every other contract he has signed after Chara and Savard has been pretty terrible. 

Luckily, he may save some face on the Kessel trade if they get a top 3 pick this season...but even that is getting less likely as Toronto has been playing well of late (including a win over the B's), and with a few more wins could jump over some of the other tanking teams, leaving the B's with a mediocre pick.  But even if they do win the lottery, and walk away with a star, does that excuse Chiarelli for trading away their top goal scorer, and not using any of the assets he has built up to even attempt to replace him?

I'm still holding out hope he can trade Tim Thomas for a pick and cap space this summer.

With Ference, I mean the guy makes under $1 million a season. How much can that really affect their cap? I think firing Chiarelli at this point is premature.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 01:19:54 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

I agree (TP) ... this isn't the first time that Chiarelli has made such highly questionable moves. I think Lucic was a good move, I'm not sold on Krejci yet but he's a workable asset when healthy ... but Ference?!? I don't get it.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 02:12:07 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

I'm still holding out hope he can trade Tim Thomas for a pick and cap space this summer.

With Ference, I mean the guy makes under $1 million a season. How much can that really affect their cap? I think firing Chiarelli at this point is premature.

Yeah, I still have hope for trading Thomas as well.  I honestly do not think he is that overpaid.  He is still a very good goalie, and is a starter on probably more than half the teams in the league.  The problem is, they had the best young goal tender in the league waiting in the wings when they signed him, and now, Rask has surpassed him, and may be a top 3-5 goalie in the entire league. 

I think they could have traded him at the deadline if they wanted to, but I don't think Chiarelli had the guts to pull the trigger (and unless there was major value coming back, probably rightfully so, since you need a solid backup goalie).  But the question will be whether he can pull the trigger in the offseason, or if he will just holdout for too much back, and end up using it as another excuse not to bring more talent in. 

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 02:34:20 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey

Yeah, I still have hope for trading Thomas as well.  I honestly do not think he is that overpaid.  He is still a very good goalie, and is a starter on probably more than half the teams in the league.  The problem is, they had the best young goal tender in the league waiting in the wings when they signed him, and now, Rask has surpassed him, and may be a top 3-5 goalie in the entire league. 

I think they could have traded him at the deadline if they wanted to, but I don't think Chiarelli had the guts to pull the trigger (and unless there was major value coming back, probably rightfully so, since you need a solid backup goalie).  But the question will be whether he can pull the trigger in the offseason, or if he will just holdout for too much back, and end up using it as another excuse not to bring more talent in. 

If the Bruins can find a team to give them a 1st or 2nd rounder and absorb Thomas's contract then he ends up getting good value because they can allocate those funds to address other needs in free agency.

Andy Ference is said to be a good locker room guy and get's along very well with Chara. Still, giving a raise to a guy who hasn't been able to stay on the ice much in the last 3 years is a bit odd but I'm not sure it's worth termination.

This will be a big off-season for Chiarelli and I'm optimistic he can move Thomas and address the scoring issues. They should have a nice young core moving forward.

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 03:07:08 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

If the Bruins can find a team to give them a 1st or 2nd rounder and absorb Thomas's contract then he ends up getting good value because they can allocate those funds to address other needs in free agency.

Andy Ference is said to be a good locker room guy and get's along very well with Chara. Still, giving a raise to a guy who hasn't been able to stay on the ice much in the last 3 years is a bit odd but I'm not sure it's worth termination.

This will be a big off-season for Chiarelli and I'm optimistic he can move Thomas and address the scoring issues. They should have a nice young core moving forward.

I am not saying Chiarelli should be fired because he extended Ference.  That is just the latest in a long line of questionable (at best) moves. 

The fact that his biggest goal for the offseason will be to try to make up for the mistake he made last year by resigning Thomas to that deal tells me everything I need to know. 

Lets not forget about Ryder.  He basically gave away Morris at the trade deadline to make room for a trade that never happened.  How about trading Versteeg for Bochenski? 

Chiarelli also was the one who chose to bring in Dave Lewis. 

I am willing to give him one more chance to turn this around, but he will really need to hit it out of the park this offseason, if he wants to stick around IMO.

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 03:15:50 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey

I am not saying Chiarelli should be fired because he extended Ference.  That is just the latest in a long line of questionable (at best) moves. 

The fact that his biggest goal for the offseason will be to try to make up for the mistake he made last year by resigning Thomas to that deal tells me everything I need to know. 

Whoa... wait a second. Isn't it fair to say that if he gets value for Thomas that the signing was in fact a good one? Wouldn't you agree that players are (at times) signed as trade assets? Perhaps Chiarelli's intention was to lock Thomas up and use him as an asset down the line. Based on having a top goalie prospect, I would argue that's exactly what he did.

Now, if he doesn't or can't move Thomas then that's a whole other story but it's premature to determine whether or not that was in fact a bad signing.

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 03:22:01 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Whoa... wait a second. Isn't it fair to say that if he gets value for Thomas that the signing was in fact a good one? Wouldn't you agree that players are (at times) signed as trade assets? Perhaps Chiarelli's intention was to lock Thomas up and use him as an asset down the line. Based on having a top goalie prospect, I would argue that's exactly what he did.

Now, if he doesn't or can't move Thomas then that's a whole other story but it's premature to determine whether or not that was in fact a bad signing.

We will see what he gets for him.  But regardless of how he gets bailed out of it, unless I see proof that it was his plan all along, I consider signing a goalie well into his thirties to a long-term deal (for likely more than market value), when you have the top goalie prospect in the league in waiting to be short-sighted.

Oh yeah, and lets not forget the no-trade clause.  If Chiarelli really was signing him as an "asset", I find it hard to believe he would have allowed that.

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 03:24:12 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i would like to see chiarelli and claude be let go in the offseason.  i would like to see more "old school" type guys like cam in those positions.  i think cam and cluade/chiarelli have two different philosophies and styles that contradict each other. 

we need more "players" on the roster, rather than "locker room guys".

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 03:27:52 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28

I'm still hoping that Chiarelli can trade Thomas too, even though I still really like the guy, but i feel it will be better for the team and him, and  am hoping that Chiarelli and the team can start pulling things together. 

But I'm only focusing on the present now and not the future and hoping that the Bruins can bring back all if not some of what they had in the regular season last year and go on a good run in the playoffs.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 03:36:47 PM by Mike-Dub »
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 03:42:31 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
Trade clauses are handed out like candy in this [dang] league huh?

You're argument that the trade clause means Chiarelli planned on having Thomas around is certainly valid and to be honest I forgot about it. But still, I think I understand this differently because Thomas will want to be a starting goalie and will therefore waive his clause for that opportunity. Look, Chiarelli may have been playing this angle and I'm not trying to give him that much credit but signing Thomas for anything other than a future asset has zero logic and I'm hard pressed to believe a GM in pro sports today could be that stupid.

Is there any indication he was down on Rask as the future goalie of this team?

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 03:52:41 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
i would like to see chiarelli and claude be let go in the offseason.  i would like to see more "old school" type guys like cam in those positions.  i think cam and cluade/chiarelli have two different philosophies and styles that contradict each other. 

It's funny, after the ball's didn't drop our way on the Durant/Oden lottery I felt the exact same way about Ainge and Doc. I felt crushed, like a relative had died that night.

Since then I've learned to be a lot more optimistic and patient with GM's of the teams I love. Some have argued Ainge made terrible moves leading up to acquiring KG and Ray, but at the end of the day is was mission accomplished.

I subscribe to the philosophy of building a team around economical youth, character and talent and I'm optimistic about this Bruins team whether they trade youth for a star or continue to develop. 

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 04:08:39 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28

It's funny, after the ball's didn't drop our way on the Durant/Oden lottery I felt the exact same way about Ainge and Doc. I felt crushed, like a relative had died that night.

No offense, but if the celtics, bruins, Basketball, hockey, or sports in general mean that much to you, I realby would advise taking a step back from them and putting  your priorities in check...

I'm not meaning to attack, but meaning to give advice.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 04:17:22 PM by Mike-Dub »
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 04:18:16 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Trade clauses are handed out like candy in this [dang] league huh?

You're argument that the trade clause means Chiarelli planned on having Thomas around is certainly valid and to be honest I forgot about it. But still, I think I understand this differently because Thomas will want to be a starting goalie and will therefore waive his clause for that opportunity. Look, Chiarelli may have been playing this angle and I'm not trying to give him that much credit but signing Thomas for anything other than a future asset has zero logic and I'm hard pressed to believe a GM in pro sports today could be that stupid.

Is there any indication he was down on Rask as the future goalie of this team?

Well, it had some logic.  Thomas was in the middle of a Vezina trophy winning season.  It just didn't make a lot of sense for the future of the franchise.  But not letting the vezina winner go to free agency certainly was the safe thing to do.

My problem was that the deal seemed to be a VERY player friendly deal.  I would have been surprised if he had been able to get that on the open market given his age.  But for some reason, Chiarelli wanted to play his cards early.

He did the same thing with Lucic and Krejci, signing them to very generous deals much earlier than he really needed to.  He overpaid Ryder.  A lot of people think he overpaid Morris last summer.  He overpaid Kobasew, and then had to dump him this year for pennies on the dollar. 

With a hard cap, these things can really kill a team.  And he keeps doing it.  I just can't think of many times when he made a move and I thought wow, that was a good move, that was good value.