Poll

Of The Current Likely Scenarios, What Path Do You Prefer Most?

Play Detroit, Then Toronto
11 (23.9%)
Play Indiana, Then Milwaukee
19 (41.3%)
Really Don't Care. Whoever We Face, Bring It On!
16 (34.8%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: East Playoff Seedings and Preferences (merged threads)  (Read 12475 times)

Re: Preference: 1st round opponent
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2019, 01:08:04 PM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
I think we should play whoever we draw.  Avoiding games is for cowards!   You also get a false sense of how good you are you by beating teams you match up against.  Play through everyone to see what to do for next year.

This is my thinking right here. To be the best, you gotta beat the best.

And being tested only gets them stronger...like the Chicago scare

I would agree if the Celts are not a flawed team.

It's obvious the Celts are not the best team in the NBA this season.

So why pretend that the Celts are the best?

Being smart will give the Celtic fans more games to watch.

This current Celts team is a flawed team.

It's built to beat the Warriors, not teams with quality bigs.

The saving grace is that all teams have flaws, there's no such thing as a perfect team. The stronger teams struggle with chemistry and decisions too.

So if they come together like they did against GS, i'm ok with their chances.

The issue is only how bad they want it.

And not only that...no matter how many allstars a team has, only 5 are out there and only one has the ball.

But ever since the Celts assembled a Big 3 in 2007-08, every team that won a championship usually had multiple All-Stars.

The NBA is a star driven league.

When was the last time a team with only one All-Star won a championship?

You already have 3 stars if you can identify them.

4 with Al.

I didn't even mention Gordan did I?  He's like the forgotten man to me :)  so that's 5...and then Smart improving his shot is just as quality a player as anyone.

Greed and impatience is gonna kill this team, fanbase, and Danny.

The Warriors were waiting for them, and they still disrupted what the champs wanted to do.

Busting up this team will be the silliest thing that Danny has ever done...and there's alot to choose from there
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 01:19:06 PM by Triplenickle »

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2019, 01:45:07 PM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
I hate watching Philly because of all the hype around them, but they're a better match-up for the Celtics than Indiana is.

I don't think the Celtics have any fear of the Sixers, and rightly so. The Sixers have some talent, but they're not deep and their defense can be picked apart with a little ball movement.

Indiana could be a wildcard in the playoffs this year. While it's true that their best player is out, it's not a team that is heavily reliant on one individual player. They're deep, well coached, and they're going to bring a lot of energy and enthusiasm.

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2019, 03:20:49 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I hate watching Philly because of all the hype around them, but they're a better match-up for the Celtics than Indiana is.

I don't think the Celtics have any fear of the Sixers, and rightly so. The Sixers have some talent, but they're not deep and their defense can be picked apart with a little ball movement.

Indiana could be a wildcard in the playoffs this year. While it's true that their best player is out, it's not a team that is heavily reliant on one individual player. They're deep, well coached, and they're going to bring a lot of energy and enthusiasm.

I totally agree with this. That Indiana team has a mental toughness that the Sixers don't.

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2019, 03:56:13 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Don't have one. Just bring on the first victim.

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2019, 04:16:37 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

I don’t see it.

Philly is way, way more talented than Indy.

We shellacked Indy last time, with Oladipo. All of our losses to them since they got VO have been close and always involve big games and/or shots by him.

Yes we play very well against Philadelphia, but Indiana is a much, much easier opponent. I honesty think we sweep them.

As I’ve mentioned earlier in this thread, they have very few impressive wins since he went down and have gotten waxed by the elite. Now that their schedule gets tougher, I expect them to crumble.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2019, 08:09:36 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
I think we should play whoever we draw.  Avoiding games is for cowards!   You also get a false sense of how good you are you by beating teams you match up against.  Play through everyone to see what to do for next year.

The saving grace is that all teams have flaws, there's no such thing as a perfect team. The stronger teams struggle with chemistry and decisions too.

And not only that...no matter how many allstars a team has, only 5 are out there and only one has the ball.

But ever since the Celts assembled a Big 3 in 2007-08, every team that won a championship usually had multiple All-Stars.

4 with Al.

I didn't even mention Gordan did I?  He's like the forgotten man to me :)  so that's 5...and then Smart improving his shot is just as quality a player as anyone.

The Warriors were waiting for them, and they still disrupted what the champs wanted to do.

Busting up this team will be the silliest thing that Danny has ever done...and there's alot to choose from there

This season the Bucks, Sixers, and Raptors all had 2 All-Stars in the All-Star game.

The Celts only had one, Kyrie.

Al and Gordon are former All-Stars and they sure are not putting up All-Star numbers this season.

Tatum will be a future All-Star.
But he's not there yet.

And if you're including Jaylen Brown as a star player, that's a stretch.

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2019, 09:09:06 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

4 with Al.

This season the Bucks, Sixers, and Raptors all had 2 All-Stars in the All-Star game.

Al and Gordon are former All-Stars and they sure are not putting up All-Star numbers this season.

But he's not there yet.

2016 - LeBron was only All-Star for Cleveland
2014 - Parker was only All-Star for San Antonio
2011 - Dirk was only All-Star for Dallas

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2019, 11:23:34 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

I agree. Only way to be the best is to beat the best. I was thinking about that when responding to the "3rd place is within our grasp" thread.

If we win the East, it would feel that much more gratifying if we beat Toronto along the way, because it seems we are all confident we can take any other Eastern playoff team.

If we won the East without beating Toronto, it would still feel great, but there would always be that question of "well, could they have beaten Toronto?"

And as you mentioned, if the Celts lose to the Raptors, Ainge can hopefully figure out what to do this summer to improve the roster for next season.

« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2019, 11:25:24 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Amen!

« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2019, 11:30:11 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

If it's so obvious the Celts are not the best team in the East, then they don't deserve to even be in the playoffs. I am sorry but my vantage point is I don't want to root for a pretender. I want to root for a contender. That's why I was ticked that Ainge didn't make a trade deadline move, but whatever. Out of my control. Personally, I STILL think we can take Toronto, as tough as it would be. Which is why, I take back my earlier response in this thread and don't mind playing them at all. And if we lose to them, so be it. It just means we weren't good enough. I am still going to continue rooting for the Celts. It just means Ainge needs to get to work.

And this positionless basketball stuff needs to go. It's nonsense basketball and to me, it's become obvious this year that you need a roster with clearly defined roles and a center to protect the paint. In other words, we can't be trotting out 3 guards and 2 small forwards on the floor at the same time with the tallest guy being 6'8. It just ain't gonna work.

« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2019, 11:54:33 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
If we won the East without beating Toronto, it would still feel great, but there would always be that question of "well, could they have beaten Toronto?"

I know I for sure wouldn't.

Do you think the Warriors wonder could they have beaten a Cleveland team with Love and Irving in '15?  Or a San Antonio team with a healthy Kawhi in '17? Or Houston with a healthy Paul in '18?

Duncan, Pop, and all the Spurs fans aren't wondering if they could have gotten past the 67 win Mavs in '07.

I bet Hakeem's not sitting home wondering if he could have beaten Jordan in '94 and '95.

And I'm pretty sure the older Boston fans don't wonder if the '81 team could have beaten a real contender in the Finals instead of the 40-42 Rockets.

People just accept it and move on.  Them the breaks. Tough luck for them, good luck for us. Ish happens. No need to wish for the hardest path to prove something.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2019, 12:18:42 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
A lot overrating Toronto and underrating Milwaukee in here me thinks.

1. Better star
2. Better coach
3. Better offense

« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2019, 12:32:24 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

I know I for sure wouldn't.

Do you think the Warriors wonder could they have beaten a Cleveland team with Love and Irving in '15?  Or a San Antonio team with a healthy Kawhi in '17? Or Houston with a healthy Paul in '18?

Duncan, Pop, and all the Spurs fans aren't wondering if they could have gotten past the 67 win Mavs in '07.

I bet Hakeem's not sitting home wondering if he could have beaten Jordan in '94 and '95.

And I'm pretty sure the older Boston fans don't wonder if the '81 team could have beaten a real contender in the Finals instead of the 40-42 Rockets.

People just accept it and move on.  Them the breaks. Tough luck for them, good luck for us. Ish happens. No need to wish for the hardest path to prove something.

If Toronto lost in the second round, then what makes them think they can beat Boston or represent in the NBA Finals lol.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2019, 07:46:55 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

4 with Al.

But he's not there yet.

The 2016 Cavs did not win a single game against GSW in the finals.

The 2014 Spurs only had Parker as an All-Star in 2014, but that team still had one of the greatest big men in NBA history in Tim Duncan.

The 2011 Mavs also had only one All-Star, Dirk, but that team had a future hall of famer in Jason Kidd and a 4-time All-Star in Shawn Marion.

This current Celtics team is different.

It's a team composed of young players and veteran players that have too many wing players.

« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2019, 08:00:05 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

4 with Al.

But he's not there yet.

The 2016 Cavs did not win a single game against GSW in the finals.

That Cavs team ended the 73-9 Warriors so yes they did win more than a single game in that finals

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)