Author Topic: Stevens temporarily owned the worst win percentage by a coach in playoff history  (Read 4617 times)

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Threads like you show how badly some Celtics fans want to be negative.

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

Threads like this are like when your college girlfriend would just start fights with you for the attention.

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934

Overreaction. I literally just posted a tweet with news and statistics, no "negative" commentary or anything. Good Lord.

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

Overreaction. I literally just posted a tweet with news and statistics, no "negative" commentary or anything. Good Lord.

You're right. It's not the thread, it's just the talking point that's terrible. If the "news" is going to be out there we might as well have a thread to talk about how off base it is.

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

I saw it on espn ticker too. A week ago, it was a legit story.

It needed to be talked about. I always thought he was a great coach who got beat because of lack of talent. 
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes

Threads like this are like when your college girlfriend would just start fights with you for the attention.
too close to home ;)
I trust Danny Ainge

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

When your team gets humiliated in the playoffs, it's not exactly unusual to be a little negative.  I don't think you can blame fans for reacting to actual facts, like the team getting stomped by an inferior Bulls squad.  Those same fans should also react to actual facts like Stevens making some absolutely great coaching moves over the last five games.

Mike

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I'll always remember Brad's first playoff series, as them being the only team to play a fully healthy Cleveland team in the playoffs that year. Golden State needed injuries to Kevin Love and Kyrie Irving. I'm certain, Brad Stevens would have had a better start to his playoff record had he faced the same injured Cavaliers team. Not saying they would have won the series, but they most likely wouldn't have lost the series 4-0.

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Worst thread ever?  I'd say so.

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Worst thread ever?  I'd say so.
No. It just listed a fact. My submission to the worst thread ever sweapstakes is this one:
http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=90479.0
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

So this thread is the equivalent of a dog taking a giant dump on the sidewalk and leaving it for others to step in?
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

So this thread is the equivalent of a dog taking a giant dump on the sidewalk and leaving it for others to step in?
Id say its more like an someone leaving like an exacto knife in a daycare center and just pointing it out to some kids and then leaving.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934

Some people take this blog way too seriously.

I literally saw a tweet, thought it was interesting, and decided to post it to start a conversation. I never said that I agreed or disagreed with it. I just wanted to see what others thought about this particular fact/stat. It was entirely relevant and justified to make such a post given the situation and the fact that it was true at the time.

Personally, I think looking at that stat (and overall stats in general) without considering their context is fallacious. When you look at the context of that 2-10 record, a lot of that was not on Stevens:

1) We barely snuck into the playoffs in 2015, and we faced the superteam Cavaliers. Of course we got swept, so there's four losses that can't really be blamed on Stevens. We really weren't expected to win a game that series.
2) In 2016, we were decimated by injuries that took AB and KO out pretty much the entire series, and Jae was only half the player he was during the season. We also had a really bad draw in the playoff matchup, so when you combine all of those factors you can't really blame those losses on Stevens.
3) While IT's sister's death was a major factor in the two Bulls losses, I do think Brad could've made more adjustments and had his team more ready than what they were. He didn't do enough to stem the tides of their runs or deal with their size until his adjustments in game 3. But overall he's been very good since then.

So I'd say that only 2 out of those 10 losses can you really blame Stevens for given the context. But that doesn't change the fact that at the time of this post he had the worst win percentage by a head coach in the playoffs.

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743

Some people take this blog way too seriously.

I literally saw a tweet, thought it was interesting, and decided to post it to start a conversation. I never said that I agreed or disagreed with it. I just wanted to see what others thought about this particular fact/stat. It was entirely relevant and justified to make such a post given the situation and the fact that it was true at the time.

Personally, I think looking at that stat (and overall stats in general) without considering their context is fallacious. When you look at the context of that 2-10 record, a lot of that was not on Stevens:

1) We barely snuck into the playoffs in 2015, and we faced the superteam Cavaliers. Of course we got swept, so there's four losses that can't really be blamed on Stevens. We really weren't expected to win a game that series.
2) In 2016, we were decimated by injuries that took AB and KO out pretty much the entire series, and Jae was only half the player he was during the season. We also had a really bad draw in the playoff matchup, so when you combine all of those factors you can't really blame those losses on Stevens.
3) While IT's sister's death was a major factor in the two Bulls losses, I do think Brad could've made more adjustments and had his team more ready than what they were. He didn't do enough to stem the tides of their runs or deal with their size until his adjustments in game 3. But overall he's been very good since then.

So I'd say that only 2 out of those 10 losses can you really blame Stevens for given the context.
Nope. By starting this thread, you clearly think that Stevens is trash, the Celtics are the worst team in the league and everyone here, by virtue of rooting for that team, is dumb. There's no other explanation.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Everyone is a loser until they win...
Yup