Author Topic: IT's comeback in Denver comes to halt  (Read 5673 times)

Re: IT's comeback in Denver comes to halt
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2019, 06:02:32 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
The fact that IT can finally play again is a great sign. He just needs to accept the fact that a max deal isn’t coming and hit the reset button, like he already has in going to Denver. There will be plenty of job openings next season for a scoring threat off the bench. If he can fully embrace that role, then he should be fine. Maybe he can turn himself into the next Jamal Crawford or Lou Williams.

Re: IT out of nuggets rotation
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2019, 06:09:31 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Poor guy. Just snakebit since the end of his time here. Hope he gets a chance to shine in the playoffs.
true but he chose a bad situation because the nuggets are loaded with great guards. It was always going to be hard to crack that lineup

Maybe so but if Monte Morris doesn't become one of the better backup PGs in the league and Denver is more of the 6-8 seed team they were expected to be I think the picture looks a little different.

Problem is I'm not sure IT can be a complementary player - to offset his defensive woes he's gotta give a lot on offense, and give it efficiently. But as a featured guy (on bench units) he's too rusty and off-pace to get into a groove in limited stretches.

I think this says more about Monte Morris than it does about IT.  Last night Monte Morris - 26 minutes, 16 points on 6/8 fg, 4/5 3pFg, 5 reb, 6 assists, 1 turnover.  Monte has been quietly having a great season as their backup point guard.  Monte plays def, and really takes care of the ball.  I am not shocked that Monte works better for the Nuggets than IT.

That said, if IT can still score the ball, he will have a place.  Just takes some time to find the right fit.

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2019, 06:37:39 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
The fact that IT can finally play again is a great sign. He just needs to accept the fact that a max deal isn’t coming and hit the reset button, like he already has in going to Denver. There will be plenty of job openings next season for a scoring threat off the bench. If he can fully embrace that role, then he should be fine. Maybe he can turn himself into the next Jamal Crawford or Lou Williams.

“Reset” is a great way to think of it.  Apologies in advance for the melodrama, but I’ve recently had to reset or recalibrate my life based on a med issue, and put in perspective, if IT has to reset from what he hoped would be a $100+ million deal to a $30M deal I get that it’s disappointing, but I bet (and hope) he adjusts without too much difficulty.   

He gave great effort here and I hope he continues to be an inspiration to all us guys  5’9” and under. 

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2019, 07:00:02 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I've said it before and I'll say it again. If we don't use the MLE on a big man this summer, then use it on Isaiah Thomas and bring him home as a 6th/7th man to make a Banner run ;D
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2019, 07:06:37 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

“Reset” is a great way to think of it.  Apologies in advance for the melodrama, but I’ve recently had to reset or recalibrate my life based on a med issue, and put in perspective, if IT has to reset from what he hoped would be a $100+ million deal to a $30M deal I get that it’s disappointing, but I bet (and hope) he adjusts without too much difficulty.   

He gave great effort here and I hope he continues to be an inspiration to all us guys  5’9” and under.
No one is giving IT a 30M deal.  He'll be lucky to get more than the vet minimum. 

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2019, 07:09:40 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I've said it before and I'll say it again. If we don't use the MLE on a big man this summer, then use it on Isaiah Thomas and bring him home as a 6th/7th man to make a Banner run ;D

TP!!!!

My favorite C in almost 60 years of following!

GIANT heart for a little guy.

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2019, 07:14:34 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
he might improve like Hayward has with additional time .   He would jump at the chance to rejoin the Celtics .  I think I would have him too,  he is fighter and if he still can make a difference he will give his all trying ...he don't know nothing else.

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2019, 07:15:33 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
I am sorry it did not work for him in Denver but maybe he gets a chance to pull a rabbit out of a hat in a playoff game where nothing is working. I wouldn’t bet against him.

If Rozier departs, and we need a backup pg, I would love to see IT come back home where he put his body on the line for us. I wish him nothing but success and happiness and would love for it to happen back in green.

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2019, 07:18:30 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

No one is giving IT a 30M deal.  He'll be lucky to get more than the vet minimum.

If not here, then in Europe -- ?? - you don't think he gets a $6M/ year contract.  I believe you as I have no idea, but I would have thought differently.

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2019, 07:24:51 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I’ll always appreciate what he did for us, but he has brought this on himself.  It’s hard to fit his me-first attitude and playstyle into any offensive system that doesn’t entirely revolve around him, and it’s even harder to hide him on defense. 

I wish him the best, but I don’t expect much to change unless his attitude improves.

I mean, to be honest he became a superstar with the Celts by being a scorer first and foremost.  It worked for him until he got hurt.

If he had all along been more of a ball movement, team-concept kind of guy, he would never have become the type of scorer he needed to be in order to earn minutes despite being such a large defensive liability.

I'm still holding out hope that he'll find his way again as a microwave bench scorer for some team or other.  But the road ahead of him is hard, as it has always been.  I won't count him out.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2019, 07:35:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
IT will never return to Boston as long as Kyrie is here. Stevens likes his two PG offenses and any backup PG is going to have to be at least decent on defense. IT on defense is a horror show. I wouldn't even want to think of how bad a Kyrie-IT backcourt would be.

IT had his shot here. Things didn't work out. He isn't coming back.

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2019, 07:37:32 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
If he could show signs of being even an average NBA player I would happily do that.

Problem is he has been unable to so far
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2019, 08:49:42 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

If not here, then in Europe -- ?? - you don't think he gets a $6M/ year contract.  I believe you as I have no idea, but I would have thought differently.
He's currently on a 1 year/2M contract.  He's only played 9 games this season and has not looked good so he hasn't proven himself.  No one is going to commit 30M to him whether its over 1 year or 5 years.  It is hard to see which team would really want him and there are plenty of decent PGs available.  Overseas I'd think China would probably be his best bet for making money but I don't think anyone makes 6M per year overseas. 

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2019, 09:02:23 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527

He's currently on a 1 year/2M contract.  He's only played 9 games this season and has not looked good so he hasn't proven himself.  No one is going to commit 30M to him whether its over 1 year or 5 years.  It is hard to see which team would really want him and there are plenty of decent PGs available.  Overseas I'd think China would probably be his best bet for making money but I don't think anyone makes 6M per year overseas.

Dwayne Wade was reportedly offered 3yr/25m from a team in China

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24183612/free-agent-dwyane-wade-offered-three-year-25-million-deal-play-china

Free-agent guard Dwyane Wade has been offered a three-year, $25 million contract by the Zhejiang Golden Bulls, according to Chinese media reports.

The deal, which is before taxes, would make Wade the highest-paid player in China, slightly ahead of Andray Blatche, who plays for Xinjiang in the Chinese Basketball Association.

It also would be one of the largest overseas deals ever. Josh Childress received $6 million after taxes from Greek club Olympiacos in 2008.

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2019, 09:45:41 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Dwayne Wade was reportedly offered 3yr/25m from a team in China

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24183612/free-agent-dwyane-wade-offered-three-year-25-million-deal-play-china

Free-agent guard Dwyane Wade has been offered a three-year, $25 million contract by the Zhejiang Golden Bulls, according to Chinese media reports.

The deal, which is before taxes, would make Wade the highest-paid player in China, slightly ahead of Andray Blatche, who plays for Xinjiang in the Chinese Basketball Association.

It also would be one of the largest overseas deals ever. Josh Childress received $6 million after taxes from Greek club Olympiacos in 2008.
Wade is a much bigger name than IT.  Also that Wade's offer may have only been partially guaranteed.  This article has details on CBA contracts, incentives, perks, etc for foreign players. 
https://hoopshype.com/2018/12/10/chinese-basketball-free-agents-negotiations-pierre-aaron-jackson/